Michael Green Audio Forum

https://tuneland.forumotion.com

Our Website  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What are you listening to now?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

What are you listening to now? Empty
PostSubject: What are you listening to now?   What are you listening to now? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 9:59 am

Give a list of the music you are listening to now.

I'll start.

What are you listening to now? Mig19
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to now?   What are you listening to now? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 12:31 pm

Sonic is listening now to Franz Joseph Haydn's Andantino (Allegretto) con variazoni in A major (HobXVII:Cool from the 12th CD in the Haydn BIS box set of complete works for fortepiano (Ronald Brautigam). Using one of my alternate systems -- old Sony CD player, a flea watt tube amp driving a Fostex pipe loaded thing playing softly in my study. Very nice.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to now?   What are you listening to now? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2012 8:32 am

Been listening to q-burns "invisible airline" through the night. Very floaty featuring Lisa Shaw on vocals and a special appearance from BB King.

What are you listening to now? Mig22
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to now?   What are you listening to now? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2012 12:38 pm

Listening to "Greensleeves on a Ground" by David Munrow -- a beautiful recording from the early 1970s with the maestro playing early and modern pieces for recorder (EMI), cello works by J S Bach (Naxos) and Bach's English suites for harpsichord (Erato).
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to now?   What are you listening to now? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 3:54 am

So far "what are you listening to now?" has been a fun time for me and it would be so cool to hear what the tunees are listening to, to get a feel for where our heads are at in the moment.

Right now I'm listening to

What are you listening to now? Mig23

An extremely well mixed space oriented recording made for the experience of openness and relaxation. Techno-pop/electronica in some ways has been my modern day classical because of the huge soundstaging and placement. The difference between traditional and electronic being one is from a particular source spot plus how it reacts to a live room, and the other is in motion on it's canvas with a created room.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to now?   What are you listening to now? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 5:32 am

A full day of "dark side of the moon".

Tweaking with this can be so much fun.
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to now?   What are you listening to now? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 1:37 pm

With my room now in a relatively good state of Tune, Sonic been listening to:

1. Telemann's Darmstadt Overtures (Cologne Chamber Orchestra)

2. Signeur de Sainte Colombe's Pieces for Two 7-stringed Violes (Savall and Kuijken)

3. J S Bach's Sonatas and Partitas for Violin (Monica Huggett)....not the whole lot in one go!

4. Mulligan Meets Monk (Gerry Mulligan and Thelonious Monk)

5. Undercurrents -- Bill Evans and Jim Hall
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to now?   What are you listening to now? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 9:18 am

Haven't had a ton of sleep lately. So much to do. I guess that's bad for me but I have to say sometimes good for my ears. You know how when your music collection starts to get bigger and you get older you start to wonder if your going to have a chance to listen to everything you have. How in the world am I going to listen to all this cool stuff Rolling Eyes Question

Anyway, threw this on cause it got here this week from amazon and I've been listening to Paul a little more lately.

What are you listening to now? Tlm1

A fun ride I have to say. I really don't know how Paul has managed to stay fresh all this time, but it seems to me he's having one good time. I love the Fab 4 together, but have to say as far as Paul goes I can't imagine why people give names like the king of pop to someone like Michael Jackson (love Michael's stuff) when Paul is here. Is there really anyone that has done more with pop than Paul? From the Fab, to Wings to solo. Band on The Run, is one of my all time favs, but there is so much out there that paul has done that gives that same excitement. This CD has some of it. Paul gets more personal on this recording than you usually hear him get and I think this blended with his bass playing production and snappy arrangements he has again created something special.

steady lads
Back to top Go down
garp

PostSubject: Blood Sweat and Tears   What are you listening to now? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 12:18 am

I have not listened to this lp or cd in many years except tonight. When this LP was popular, I was an RA in college in the 70s. On friday nights when I was on duty, the wrestling had gone to the local bars and all the east coast students were either high on LSD or pot, all my guys. Since we lived on the 6th floor of a 10 story dorm, I had to rescue several LSD users, who thought they could fly, from jumping out of there windows. I forgot about the Viet Nam vets who just came back from the war and had a hard time dealing with civilian life. They lived on blues and heavy rock which I provided with my Pioneer recever, Rat Shack turntable and speakers. My room was the center piece for tunes on a Friday night including this lp from Blood, Sweat, and Tears as well as works from Mountain, the James Gang, Atomic Roster, etc.

I missed going to Woodstock that summer as I had a summer job that would not allow me the time for a several day rock concert, but many from my floor did attend. They brought back stories of Jimi, Santana, CSN&Y, and many other legends from the time.
While this is not a political forum, the early 60s and 70s was a very interesting time which divided the old from the young. It marked a change in our attitudes about how we lived with our neighbors from near and far much as the recent election has.

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to now?   What are you listening to now? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 2:50 am

Which Blood Sweat and Tears? I've been filling out my collection a little from this time.
Some fanastic goodies for sure. Don't have any Atomic Roster, and wondering what else I'm missing. Picked up Moutain (climbing) last week.
Back to top Go down
garp

PostSubject: Blood Sweat and Tears   What are you listening to now? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 8:35 am

Michael,

This was the super hits album. Hit singles galore were culled from this record--"Spinning Wheel," "You've Made Me So Very Happy," and "And When I Die,"--not to mention a superb rendition of Billie Holiday's "God Bless The Child."
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to now?   What are you listening to now? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 6:09 pm

You know I don't even no why I do this to myself.

I just finished

What are you listening to now? M4

and I have tears in my eyes. Man sometimes those songs sneak up and get ya right in the heart.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to now?   What are you listening to now? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 11:33 pm

I've been a part of the Suzzane Vega cult since I first heard SS. Tonight I needed a fix so I put on

What are you listening to now? Mus1
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to now?   What are you listening to now? Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 3:09 pm

I started doing some writing and I've been just kinda going through my catalog playing stuff as I go along. My ears were taken into the listening area cause I couldn't walk away from the sound I was hearing. Must have played these guys before but don't remember them grabbing me till a few hours ago.

Wow what a good pop recording.

What are you listening to now? Mm2

A very visual recording that is a ton of fun to chill with. I'm impressed and want more now. It's more than cute it's actually full of tricky little cues.

Camera and some of the others are really cool. Kinda reminds me of a cuter verson of Yaz.
Back to top Go down
tmsorosk

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to now?   What are you listening to now? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 9:55 am

Yesterday we spent almost the entire day listening to Eric Clapton. Don't no how many times we heard Unplugged before spinning some his other material. This is one artist I never tire of.
Today I started with another favorite, Eva Cassidy. There's something about the dynamics of her voice that blows me away. Some of her discs ( Songbird and Blues Alley to name a few ) can really highlight a fine audio system.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to now?   What are you listening to now? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 5:58 pm

I think the unplugged series was one of the coolest things ever. Kinda like a modern Don Kirshner's Rock Concert.

What are you listening to now? M185
Back to top Go down
Chipdivot

PostSubject: Lucia Stricagnolia   What are you listening to now? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2015 2:21 pm

Has anybody seen or heard of this kid before...he is amazing. I've never seen someone play guitars like this. The recording sounds great even on my laptop. I just purchased his CD...I'll let you know...you can download a MP3 version too.

http://fb-302.dailymegabyte.com/man-plays-iconic-rock-song-in-a-way-youd-never-expect/

Michael...bet you thought you wouldn't see me here again...just so busy now that I've retired!
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to now?   What are you listening to now? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2015 7:49 pm

Hi Chip (A.)

Always wonderful to see you Exclamation I'm sure life, love & music are treating you well my friend.

What are you listening to now? M1140

Thanks so much for the sharing. Luca plays like a miracle Cool

I'm for sure picking up this CD.
Back to top Go down
Chipdivot

PostSubject: Luca Stricagnoli   What are you listening to now? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2016 5:40 pm

I used that CD to show off the Martin Logan Sequels II...yes...I just finally sold them...hard to let them go but I still have and love the Chameleons!!!
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to now?   What are you listening to now? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2016 10:28 am

Hi Chip

Good to see you on the tune my friend Exclamation

Cool
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to now?   What are you listening to now? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 26, 2017 7:57 pm

posting from Sonic's page

Music I am Listening to this Weekend

Sonic listened to something really unusual.

It is La Monte Young and Marian Zazeela’s Black Album (1969).

Here is a link if you want to hear it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv-Ddu3TQx0

Give it a listen….it may take you a couple of listens to get the point.

Who is La Monte Young?

(from Wikipedia)

La Monte Thornton Young (born October 14, 1935) is an American avant-garde composer, musician, and artist generally recognized as the first minimalist composer. His works are cited as notable examples of post-war experimental and contemporary music, and were tied to New York's downtown music and Fluxus art scenes.

Initially inspired by sources such as Indian classical music, serialism, and jazz, Young is perhaps best known for his pioneering work in Western drone music (originally referred to as "dream music"), prominently explored in the 1960s with the experimental music collective the Theatre of Eternal Music. He has engaged in musical and multimedia collaborations with a wide range of artists, including Tony Conrad, Pandit Pran Nath, John Cale, Terry Riley, and visual artist Marian Zazeela, with whom he developed the Dream Housesound and light installation.

Young's work has called into question the nature and definition of music. Despite having released very little recorded material throughout his career—much of it currently out of print —Vulture described him as the most influential living composer today. The Observer wrote that his work has had "an utterly profound effect on the last half-century of music." His evolving composition The Well-Tuned Piano, first conceived in 1964, has been characterized as "one of the great achievements of 20th-century music" by The Guardian.

What are you listening to now? S717

Sonic adds -- Young describes the uniqueness of his work in that for centuries drone sounds have been overlayed with melodies or vocal lines. In his case, it is drone sounds upon drone sounds with things like bowed metal bowls. Fascinating to listen to -- but you got to get into the right frame of mind.

The cover art of The Black Album with calligraphy by Marian Zazeela looks like this:

What are you listening to now? S718

This LP is a rarity and now selling at pretty high prices.

Sonic also played this record:

What are you listening to now? S719

This is a mono CBS/Sony (1970 Japanese pressing) collection of classic blues songs from 1925 to 1937. I did not realize Blind Willie Johnson had such a gravelly and rough voice!

Sonic

Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to now?   What are you listening to now? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 10, 2017 7:02 am

My Music This Weekend

What are you listening to now? S724

Of these four LPs the one I liked the most is the Bartok Mikrokosmos --  solo piano works that sounds very “modern” even Bartok wrote them over a 12-year period starting 1926, 153 pieces divided into six books graded by ascending difficulty starting from pieces for beginners (Books 1 and 2) to advanced players (Books 3 and 4) and professional performers (Books 5 and 6). After a couple of listens, I am surprised that Sonic likes these pieces as much as I do.

While the Messiaen LP has themes that I can relate to  -- The Ascension of Jesus Christ, Hymn and The Forgotten Offering – works by Oliver Messiaen is music that Sonic finds challenging to listen to. They are not what I would immediately reach for, compared to the Archiv which contains music Sonic is easily happy with.

Sonic

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to now?   What are you listening to now? Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2018 1:41 pm

Not following me on facebook? Why not?

OK, just a few I've been listening to in the past week or so.

What are you listening to now? M1937
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you listening to now?   What are you listening to now? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What are you listening to now?
Page 1 of 1