Michael Green Audio Forum

https://tuneland.forumotion.com

Our Website  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

additional EchoTunes

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
basslover

additional EchoTunes Empty
PostSubject: additional EchoTunes   additional EchoTunes Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 8:17 pm

I notice the TunePak contains two EchoTunes, one for the front wall and one for a side wall.

If I don't mind purchasing additional EchoTunes, is it ever advisable to put an EchoTune on the rear wall seam?

What about an EchoTune on the other side wall seam?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: additional EchoTunes   additional EchoTunes Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 9:30 pm

Hi basslover

Welcome to TuneLand

You can look through the systems here and see that almost everyone uses a tuning device behind them where the wall meets the ceiling. If I had it to do all over again I probably would have made the TunePak a 12 piece set, but I'm always so concerned about over kill and so many audiophiles do this. Controlling the energy is very different from killing a room. We believe that the room is a part of the speaker system and should be treated as a major part of the musics reproduction.

The guys will tell you once you get started tuning your system it becomes addictive and they would be right. So much can be done when voicing the sound of the room and tuning the vibrations in your setup.

I welcome you to post pics or send them to me and I can do it for you. I like to look at these pics and point out places (along with the other tunees) that might unlock huge improvements in your sound. If you do start down this path of tuning it will change the way you look at playing music. Read through some of the success stories here and in the archives and you will see how normal setups turned into super systems by following the method of tuning.

I'm sure some of the guys will be around to say hi.

enjoy
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: additional EchoTunes   additional EchoTunes Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 12:27 pm

Hi Basslover

Tuning the rear of the room is very important, and yet there is a balance to be found with the front. There are views about the Live-End-Dead-End idea where studios and listening spaces where the speaker end of the rooms was damped and the rear (listener) end of the room was made live. The Tune goes in a different direction where your speakers energise the room but the room is the link that connects to our ears. Your rooms is one large speaker that can be thought of as an amplifying stage that takes the musick to your ears.

Sonic
Back to top Go down
basslover

PostSubject: Re: additional EchoTunes   additional EchoTunes Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 1:46 am

Thanks for the welcome and info!  

I have another question, please.  I may change the room configuration, but currently behind the rack, taking up 8 feet of a 10 foot wide wall, is an 18 inch deep closet, the closet doors being sliding and hollow.  The closet extends up about 7 1/2 feet to the 8 foot ceiling.  The room is 10 x 11.

The walls are 1/2" plaster.  One side wall has the door to the room, as far  out from the front wall as the speakers are.

The rear wall has a 3 foot tall, 7 feet wide window.

My question is: How do I treat the sliding closet doors behind the rack so that the empty closet space behind them won't mess up the sound?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: additional EchoTunes   additional EchoTunes Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 2:31 am

Hi basslover

Start with seeing how the doors sound by shimming them. I like the sound of treated cedar wood shims.
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: additional EchoTunes   additional EchoTunes Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 10:52 am

Hi Michael

How do you shim doors? There are several ways Sonic can think of to shim doors -- like using wedges near the pins or compressing wood slivers near the hinges to eliminate any play in the door. How do you shim doors like Basslovers' or doors to the room like mine?

Sonic
Back to top Go down
basslover

PostSubject: my question is really about the empty space   additional EchoTunes Icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 12:51 am

Thanks for the replies.  I appreciate the suggestion about shimming the doors. I will try that!

What I was concerned about primarily, at least in my place of relative ignorance about these things, is the empty space in the closet behind the doors.  There are some boxes in there, but it's nowhere full.

Is that empty space a concern?  Should any Room Tunes go inside the closet?

Or extra ones on the door?

Or, maybe the space in the closet left alone is likely to produce a good effect?
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: additional EchoTunes   additional EchoTunes Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 8:31 pm

Hi Guys

Just noticed how late my answer is here. Sorry, been pretty busy.

The closet will more than likely sound best empty but you can play with that.

I use treated cedar building shims to do my voicing on doors.
Back to top Go down
basslover

PostSubject: ok thanks   additional EchoTunes Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 12:04 am

I'll just for now leave the boxes in there and not alter.  I'd have to move my entire rig to access the closet, so not something I want to do unless absolutely necessary!
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: additional EchoTunes   additional EchoTunes Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 7:29 am

Let me know if you get pictures of the room and system and we can post them and take a look at how things are progressing.
Back to top Go down
basslover

PostSubject: Re: additional EchoTunes   additional EchoTunes Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 4:35 am

Michael Green wrote:
Let me know if you get pictures of the room and system and we can post them and take a look at how things are progressing.
Ok, thanks, will do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: additional EchoTunes   additional EchoTunes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

additional EchoTunes
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Michael Green Audio Forum :: Listener's Forum :: Home Audio Systems-
Jump to: