Michael Green Audio Forum

https://tuneland.forumotion.com

Our Website  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Perhaps A Showdown

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

Perhaps A Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Perhaps A Showdown   Perhaps A Showdown Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 8:12 pm

Hi Listeners

I was reading other forums and thought, wouldn't it be interesting to put a tunable system up against a world-renowned high end audio fixed system? I know that the press and industry makers and shakers wouldn't do this cause they would, one get their butts kicked, and two would have to rethink years of High End development. But I think sooner or later this is going to be what happens anyway.

I'm so excited that TuneLand is here, and I have been given the opertunity to do what I can to see this happen and am looking forward to a more in-line with reality high end audio become the norm. I could really care less who the equipment winner is at the end of the day or how someone listens. My goal is to see music lovers get to where they are wanting to go and also make a way to find the absolute, or should I say the actual original signal. No one should have to be stuck in their listening and not be able to hear a recordings magic, or get to their own personal taste of sound. And we should not be told by people listening to systems that can't play the music that a recording is bad. It's the systems fault not the recordings most of the time.

So if there was a showdown here in Vegas and the press did want to cover it, how would you like to see it done, and would you come to it?
Back to top Go down
Robert Harrison

Perhaps A Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perhaps A Showdown   Perhaps A Showdown Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 10:05 am

Hey, Mr. Green,

Pistols at dawn, eh?

No, of course not. Through the years, it seems that audio mags LOVE to do "shootouts" and "showdowns," so I would think that would be the route to go. The question is, where do you set up? Would you have to go to some mag's "laboratory" or a particular reviewers room? There must be some newer people around from the ones you have dealt with in the past that would be intrigued. But, if these guys have a set-up in their house, they probably won't want to tear out their drapes and carpets. So, we are back to where to do such a demonstration. Do you invite everyone out to Vegas (and get the mags to pay for lodging)? Do you have carpets and drapes and egg cartons to put in temporarily in such a case to demonstrate the differences between "tuned" and "damped?"

Well, I've asked more questions than provided answers, haven't I? I have to caution that sometimes you appear to have gotten away from "I will help you go from simply jazzing up your system to going all the way" to mostly, seemingly, "do exactly as I do or it will never work." You know with me there's always some aesthetic or comfort level thing going on, such as foregoing the Marantz disc player for one which will play DVD-Rs without constant break-ups. Yet, your guidance has provided a great deal of enjoyable jazzing up for me, and let's remember I have gone further than a lot of people would, what with a pretty much one person media room. Most people would probably still like to be social, which is even harder to do in a Cadillac style tunable room such as Bill333's.

Let's face it; there are always people who will constantly go forth with audionic improvements to their system, but they need to see first what can be accomplished with what they have now, room wise. If they can clearly hear the improvements (and recognize them as such, what with individual taste always being a factor) from a simple set-up, then I presume later on they will go further, as I certainly have.

So, again, I've presented more questions than answers. Well, at any rate, best of luck. I sure would love to see you get the kind of publicity you did when I first heard about you back in the '90s. In fact, consider that a case in point...I never contacted you in those days, but I sure as hell applied a form of your principles in my system(s), so even if you don't hear from a lot of people, you may still have spread the gospel of The Tune. Especially from those on a budget who will no doubt say, "Damn, I can get quality sound from a cheap disc player and a cheap receiver? Teach me more about this 'pressure zone' stuff and sign me up!"
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

Perhaps A Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perhaps A Showdown   Perhaps A Showdown Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 6:18 pm

Hi Robert

I believe the questions have in some ways been answered. One only has to look at the decline of the High End Audio to see that something has been missed. That something is obviously sound! If High End Audio would have delivered as much as home theatre, gaming, ipod & headphones or even Sonos type systems it would be thriving today. Even though I did not create the misstep made I believe I can do something about it. To me it's not a lost cause and there is plenty of excitement to be made in the name of High End, it's just that the old needed to die off first before a new better High End Audio emerges.

The Vegas CES would be the best setting. This way the reviewers are already present. A portable tunable room or a shuttle to an offsite location would be the place.

One thing I do believe in is the High End Audio listener. Audiophiles may have been subjected to years of guilt, ego and high prices without a return but the spirit of having great sound is one that lives on and always will. To me it doesn't matter the cost, it doesn't matter the individual taste, what does matter is that there is a method to get there, and if the audiophile world could become about what it takes to get there the designers could and would make the tools. The focus has been on equipment and not on how to play, and this is what must and will change. As I have said before, you can have a great guitar but if you never learn to play it, it will never produce great sound. High End Audio does have a next chapter, and it is teaching someone how to play their system. There's just as big of market in tools and knowledge as there is in components. The audiophile world will need to move to more of a "Component & Listener" place. Now it's like a "Car" only, instead of "Car & Driver", but that will change, cause listening is an action sport by nature just like playing a guitar is. Most audiophiles complain but they really do like the playing part. If you look at the DIY/engineer/design part of this hobby you will see that it is quite active. Buying and selling of over built stock products maybe dead but the "engineer" want-a-be side is very much alive. The hobby for now may look hopeless depending on where one stands but if the voice of the listener speaks up even a little the listeners will come running. The listener is there, they have just become leery, and I don't blame them. Here's the thing, the internet is here and as the etiquette of the High End Audiophile matures we will all come back to our goal "fantastic sound" and how to get there. I see high end audio as something that has only been derailed, sidetracked by a pretty face, but this only last so long before the spirit of the listener pushes past the hierarchy of $$$ and pride, and gets back to listening.

It all comes down to what will the audiophile world look like tomorrow, and what will be considered High End. It won't be boat anchors for sure cause technology has caught up to high end, and it's just a matter of time before this becomes a lot more public. The magazines remember are going to support their advertisers, that's their job, and as the old dies they will be replaced by the new. The small suitcase size soundstage will be replaced by a more accurate one as soon as someone makes it sexy to be a listener of the big stage. When that happens it's a totally new game. There will be bumps like, how does a Magnazox and Sherwood do that, but this will pass as other components come out to compete. There are actually a lot of products that probably did tune well, it's just that they never made it to the press as such, cause the press was reinventing itself every couple of months to a limited crowd of buyers. You have two ways, make the crowd bigger, or keep reselling the crowd you have. This industry for some reason chose the second. Weird really, but that's what they did and as a result the sound quality got worse, making room for the lower priced electronics to catch up. And in my book, what's wrong with having a Sonos system? I think their great and certainly sound better off axis vs most high end systems. So if listening to good sounds in a general sense is high end, then we are getting there. As far as the dedicated room system, the listening man cave should be just that. A place that you can sit in and fade away. If some have it a place to stare at big amps, heavy speakers, and cables that could support a bridge so be it, but I know that most want this room to be a place of listening satisfaction, and as we embrace the methods to get there over the golden calf this hobby will become more balanced.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Perhaps A Showdown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perhaps A Showdown   Perhaps A Showdown Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Perhaps A Showdown
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Michael Green Audio Forum :: Audio Chat :: General Audio Chat, staying in tune-
Jump to: