Michael Green Audio Forum

https://tuneland.forumotion.com

Our Website  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

setup basics for stereophile

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

setup basics for stereophile Empty
PostSubject: setup basics for stereophile   setup basics for stereophile Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 8:22 pm

For my stereophile friends. I wanted to put this up for the folks on stereophile who are talking about setting up room acoustics. It's dawned on me that many of you have not done the RoomTune setup before. So I've made this thread for you to look at and ask questions if you would like.

Lets start by showing you a RoomTune room.

setup basics for stereophile M235

For those who came from "Acoustic basics for audiophiles" this will return you to your thread.
https://tuneland.forumotion.com/t247-acoustical-basics-for-audiophiles

Last edited by Michael Green on Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: setup basics for stereophile   setup basics for stereophile Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 2:26 am

Here are the two biggest speaker placement problems faced by listeners.

setup basics for stereophile M236

The RoomTune solution is to use your space instead of fighting it.

setup basics for stereophile M237
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: setup basics for stereophile   setup basics for stereophile Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 1:20 am

How easy is it to take a system and make it perform poorly?

Many listeners have system setups that are more about the look than performance. It's not hard to do, and the consequences to the sound are dramatic. Most who do this put together their system without thinking about the sound waves and pressure, then start to deal with what is left, and instead of opening up the sound they close in in.

setup basics for stereophile M238

The picture above may look cool, but what is wrong? In this hobby looks can be deceiving. Below look at the sound waves as they make their way out of the speaker with this setup.

setup basics for stereophile M239

As you can see even with a common high end audio system setup most of the waves before they ever get to you have been contaminated (distorted) by objects you are told to use to make the sound better. The fact is they are forcing the speakers to beam, and causing the room to only produce those frequencies that can stablize in the space. This will keep your soundstage from reaching full size and make it difficult for the notes do develope from the frequency spectrum left.

Lets take a look at this same system and start to set it free.

setup basics for stereophile M240
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: setup basics for stereophile   setup basics for stereophile Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 4:56 am

The Deluxe RoomTune has been refined. The most popular floorstanding acoustical product has stepped up it's look and performance.

setup basics for stereophile M243

Available in floorstanders and wall mounts RTD2 was designed for both Pro and home tuning at an amazing 20hz-22Khz linear response.

setup basics for stereophile M244
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: setup basics for stereophile   setup basics for stereophile Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 6:20 am

Ok, I wanted to show you the RTD2 floorstander. This tool will make a system sing. The original Deluxe RoomTune was everywhere in the 90's, along with the CornerTune. I needed to move on to studios though and Echobusters and other floorstanders came into the game, but the Deluxe was the champ. About a year ago people started getting on me to get busy with some floorstanders again, but I wanted to make something a step up from the original. Here it is the RTD2. We made it 2 inches taller than the old ones, surprising what this does. This is also designed with a serious frame that is a lot beefier than you think. Brazilian pine inner frame and outer frame. The RTD2 has spikes (3 point). There's burn on the back side and the RT Barricade on the front, so this does all the burn as a big trap and more full range, and keeps things clean with the membrane. Sweet tool and about a third the cost of the nearest competition. Plus the nice wood trim. Ok, enough commercial.

Lets look at what I did to the system

setup basics for stereophile M245

You can see from the original setup I switched to a low profile rack. I use platforms close to the floor but even cutting a foot or more off of the height makes a huge difference in openess. Get those components out of the way. Save the "you did it for sound reasons" for someone else  Laughing . If you have your speakers on the same wall as your rack you have all kinds of distortion going on. Look above at what I did. I pulled the speakers away from the wall and put the rack half way between the speakers and the wall, then I spent some money for you and put in CornerTunes and EchoTunes. Even if you pulled the speakers out, lowered the rack (pulling it out half way between speaks and wall), and did 2 CT's and 1 ET in the configuration I did here you will be  affraid , holy smokes what a new system. Do not do the "1st reflection" point before doing the upper parts of the room. This is a no no, and will stop you from getting all the pressure building correctly. You can come back to the side wall tunes but you need to get most of the info into the room first before shutting things down. This is a major reason a lot of folks can't play more music. Music info needs equality to spread.  Not alot of space just balanced space.

Now I know alot of guys start bellyacking when you bring up stuff they don't want to do, but this isn't Stereophile or Audiocircle, or TAS, this is TuneLand and you can either look at things from a positive point of view and lets have some fun or stay stuck. I don't make the rules, I live by them. If you open up your mind to what we do here your going to be surprised at what is waiting for you around the corner. Plus pulling out the system and getting the equipment out of the way is really just common sense.

Sit in your seat and look around you. What is blocking the sound from getting to you? And, what is crowding the speakers? Their not magic makers you know. They work like any other room source. They don't fire as much forward as you think (some horns do) and if your sitting there with a lot between you and your speakers, you have a lot to deal with.

Hint: when I say inbetween you and your speakers or your speakers and you what I'm talking about is equal space. Here's an example. Take a ruler and measure the distance between you and the speakers. Now take the ruler with that measurement and see what you have that is closer to you (including the floor and ceiling) than the speakers.

setup basics for stereophile M246

Now go to the speakers and do the same. Those are the things that are telling the speakers how to sound and telling your ears what to hear.

See the above room I just did. This is not a listening room. This is a living room with a stereo in it. The hobbyist with this room is hearing first off the sofa. This fabric is throwing the highs out of pitch. The listener is hearing what before he hears the speakers? The tables, the chair, the rug, the rack, the ceiling and the floor and back wall. So while we're looking at those pieces let go listen to them. You can use your voice and get close to these objects and hear how the sound either reverberates or gets soaked up. Notice how much better the reverberation sounds than the dampening? A lot better. Now if you could control that reverb so that it doesn't go on forever, and in this size room it won't, and clear out the objects distorting the sound, you would have the beginnings of your own private concert hall.

Lets go back to the drawing I did before

setup basics for stereophile M245

All you need to do to start your journey is this simple change of a few things. Those who do enter into a completely different hobby. No amount of money can make the living room/stereo setup sound as good as the system and room working together.

Now look at what I went and did  Shocked 

setup basics for stereophile M247

Oh no, I turned it into a concert hall, how could I  Laughing 

Guys, you can see by looking at it how much better it sounds.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: setup basics for stereophile   setup basics for stereophile Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2014 5:10 am

Now that you have seen the areas of the room used to control some of the sound pressure and waves I have some important advice.

Don't Kill The Sound Exclamation 

Acoustical companies keep coming out with products that keep doing the same things that you want to get away from. If your going to kill the sound you might as well steal some pillows off the sofa and grab some drapes  Laughing , cause your going to end up in the same place just a few dollars poorer.

When you get these "acoustical products" that are made to kill the sound your doing what? KILLING THE SOUND!

Below is direct absorption. The soundwaves are being killed in the room causing acoustical distortion.

setup basics for stereophile M253

Above is RoomTunes barricade product letting the music get to the listener while burning the extra energy on the back side, leaving the room distortion free.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: setup basics for stereophile   setup basics for stereophile Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2014 3:35 pm

Once you've done the upper corners you can move to the mid points of the room.

setup basics for stereophile M264

I have found that doing the origin places of the room first helps you to not only hear the good of the room but also keeps you from treating areas that don't need to be treated as much. Almost all rooms like to be treated from the upper parts in and not the other way around.

Always tune your room one step at a time as to not cause over burning. Look at these rooms that have dampening products all over the place. I can absolutely guarantee you they have a much smaller soundstage than they could have and their having problems with some of the basic room balancing. It's not hard to get over dampened and if your not trained to hear it you can get way down the dead end before you know it.

If you have questions on how to tune in your specific room, start a system thread of your own and we'll work on it together.

https://tuneland.forumotion.com/f3-home-audio-systems
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: setup basics for stereophile   setup basics for stereophile Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2014 4:37 pm

setup basics for stereophile M265
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: setup basics for stereophile   setup basics for stereophile Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

setup basics for stereophile
Page 1 of 1