Michael Green Audio Forum

https://tuneland.forumotion.com

Our Website  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Another look at tuning

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

Another look at tuning Empty
PostSubject: Another look at tuning   Another look at tuning Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2015 2:45 am

Everytime I see someone make a move toward the tune it's like an angel gets it's wings.

Here's Bill's recent exploration with phones.
Ok, since I couldn't have a system for the foreseeable future, I decided I would get a headphone system. I shopped around and got a good deal on an Elekit TU-882R headphone amp and a pair of Beyer Dynamic DT990 headphones, which are said to be a good match for this amp. Naturally, I got the kit version and built it myself. cyclops

Unlike with the TU-879S, this time around I decided to build the kit with its chassis:

Another look at tuning Tu882r10

After letting it break in for 100 hours, I wasn't very happy with the sound. Congested, tipped up tonality, and lacking both detail and dynamics. Actually, the entire time I was assembling it into the chassis, I couldn't stop thinking things like, 'Look at where these wires are draped, what a disaster!' and 'They're not really going to just twist these wires together and run them right alongside this piece of metal, are they?' and 'We don't really need all these pieces of metal, do we?' So naturally the first step was to start by removing the transformer cover:

Another look at tuning Tu882r13

That was a clear, all-round improvement, allowing me to hear things in the recordings that had been smeared and indistinct before. Knowing that I was going in the right direction, I got the soldering iron out and got to work:

Another look at tuning Tu882r14

Another great improvement. The sound is actually pretty listenable at this point, if not quite as detailed as what I'm used to. It might come as a surprise to some people that a speaker based system would reveal more detail than a good pair of headphones, but that what a tunable room does for you. Surprised
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

Another look at tuning Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another look at tuning   Another look at tuning Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2015 2:58 am

I posted this here, so people from other forums can come up and see how easy it is to get into tuning and the benefits from removing the mass and freeing the electromagnetic fields.

A lot of folks are listening to components that are trapped within their own construction, thinking my component is of "quality build" when it is really nothing more than an impressive masculine looking shipping box.

Bill's project is a perfect example of the difference between being basic and being over built.

High End Audio needs to do this very project and see how much sound is being lost because of the housing and everything shoved into that housing.

good job Bill Smile
Back to top Go down

Another look at tuning
Page 1 of 1