Michael Green Audio Forum

https://tuneland.forumotion.com

Our Website  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mooster1223's System

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

Mooster1223's System Empty
PostSubject: Mooster1223's System   Mooster1223's System Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2016 6:20 am

TuneLand Welcomes Mooster1223 Exclamation

Mooster1223's System M1391

Enjoy the forum.
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Mooster1223's System   Mooster1223's System Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2016 11:07 am

Hello Mooster1223!

Welcome to Tuneland! Are those KEFs and is that a subwoofer behind the Left speaker?

Please post an equipment list when you can.

Sonic
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Mooster1223's System   Mooster1223's System Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2016 7:04 pm

Hi Mooster

Did a little tuneup for you.

Mooster1223's System M1398
Back to top Go down
Mooster1223

PostSubject: Re: Mooster1223's System   Mooster1223's System Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2016 11:23 pm

Sonic.beaver wrote:

Hello Mooster1223!

Welcome to Tuneland!  Are those KEFs and is that a subwoofer behind the Left speaker?

Please post an equipment list when you can.

Sonic

Hello sonic. I've read nearly all of your thread in its entirety. You sir, have dedication!

Both of your observations are correct. A pair of LS50's fed by a Vincent SP 331. The subwoofer is a SVS sb13. The sub is being sent a balanced signal while the amp is unbalanced using analysis plus, oval one, rca's. My most listened to source is a Cambridge Audio 851N (which also serves as my preamp) playing Spotify. CD's make their way to the speakers by way of toslink from a JVC xlz1050tn. Speaker wire is monocore 12ga.

Room construction is plaster and lath with paneling over top. I recently had carpet and padding installed. Prior to their installation, I layed 1/2" OSB over the old flooring. The room is on a first floor with a basement underneath. The joists are open with no insulation. The ceiling is drywall with a texture. Room dimensions are 12'x15'x8'. W,D,H

One I figure out how to post pictures, I'll post one from my listening position. I've installed another bookcase on the right side with random placed items to try and break up some of the corner waves. Can't say that I'm thrilled with the results though...

In the past 9 months, I've changed EVERYTHING in my system except for the CD player. And in fact, I recently purchased a maggy 2100 from eBay that I plan on modding. I haven't even plugged it in yet to make sure it works.

Now that I know Michael started this thread, I'll have to keep up with posting as things progress. I have some RT products on order.
Back to top Go down
Mooster1223

PostSubject: Re: Mooster1223's System   Mooster1223's System Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2016 12:12 am

Mooster1223's System M1410

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Mooster1223's System   Mooster1223's System Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2016 1:10 am

A nice Vibe going on Mooster Exclamation

Glad your making yourself at home Smile

Cool
Back to top Go down
rotelguy

rotelguy

PostSubject: Re: Mooster1223's System   Mooster1223's System Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2016 1:13 am

Welcome to Tuneland!

enjoy Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Mooster1223's System   Mooster1223's System Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2016 11:32 am

Hi Mooster1223

From the pictures, your system has a "comfortable feel" to it. When Sonic heard those Kefs the first time, it helped define coherency for me along with the big Tannoy dual-concentrics.

Sonic
Back to top Go down
Mooster1223

PostSubject: Re: Mooster1223's System   Mooster1223's System Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2016 12:07 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

Sonic, I'm quite happy with the little kef's. They are very pleasing when paired with the sub. I'm now considering (thanks to you) the addition of a sea10 or sea50. The 50 would give me an adjustment of 32hz and 63hz which I find appealing. However, the cabinet of the little 10 looks so nice (although, I'm sure it will get removed).

I'm also considering 50hz high pass filters on my amp to keeps the lows out of the kef's.

Or, I could just wait for my RT's to arrive from MG but where's the fun in that!
Back to top Go down
Mooster1223

PostSubject: Re: Mooster1223's System   Mooster1223's System Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2016 11:00 pm

I've had an unusual evening listening in my room. I planned on listening to a couple different albums this evening. I started with Pink Floyd, The Final Cut and let the entire album repeat three times! Just when I thought I would select something different, the next track would come in and I just had to listen to the entire track. So on and so on until I'd listened to the entire album... three times.

I did receive my RT's and they're all in place. Unfortunately, the Internet sold me some different speakers Shocked so I can't give a totally honest take on, before / after treatment. I've changed too much stuff for that. I'll try and get some pictures up in the next day or so. Until then, I'm going to continue enjoying the music!
Back to top Go down
rotelguy

rotelguy

PostSubject: Re: Mooster1223's System   Mooster1223's System Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2016 7:19 pm

The Final Cut, a great recording Exclamation I read somewhere long ago that Mr. Green tuned TAS Tom Miiller's system to this LP.

enjoy Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Mooster1223's System   Mooster1223's System Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2016 8:33 am

Hello Mooster1223

What speakers have you now instead of the KEFs?

Did you get your SEA 10 or 50? I am using mine to touch up recordings (very useful), less to do with the overall EQ of the system. If you been following my threads, I have returned to a nearfield set up for my Magneplanars.

Sonic
Back to top Go down
Mooster1223

PostSubject: Re: Mooster1223's System   Mooster1223's System Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2016 9:38 pm

Hi Sonic. I have been keeping track of your journey. I always enjoy reading your posts, if for no other reason than to get ideas on new music I have not ventured in to. So, on that front, thank you for your contribution. I look for your music on Spotify and most times, it's a successful endeavor.

I have purchased a SEA-50 and I put it online for 2 days and during that time, I made 2 observations:
1 - I am NOT a "skilled master" of the EQ!
2 - I developed a "hum" that was audible between tracks and it drove me nuts!
I have unhooked it from my system at this time. I know there is a ground spot on the back panel and I presume that would take care of the hum however, I have decided to to give up on it for now. It doesn't eat much What a Face so it can just sit there for the time being.

I really can't give a good explanation as to why I purchased the other speakers. I was truly happy with the KEF's and the sub. I guess the honest answer is that the internet is a powerful force that can take hold on the mind. I essentially had the entire frequency range covered with the other set up but I kept reading how much more bottom end the new speakers had (remember, I have a sub so there is no lack of bottom end).

I purchased a used pair of Joseph Audio RM25XL floor standers. When I first delved in to home audio in 1993, I purchased a pair of JA RM7si monitors. Those were the speakers that the KEF's replaced. I always liked the Josephs and when I read the reviews of the 25XL's, I had to have them!!!

Once I hooked them up, I kind of asked myself, WHY? With the subwoofer, I have essentially gained no ground. I don't mean to imply that they are not a nice speaker but when either are paired with a subwoofer, bass extension is a moot point. I presumed I could lower the crossover point on the sub (and I did) but with the KEF's, the integration of the sub was seamless.

Unfortunately, I am just as susceptible to internet jargen and the promise of a "superior, plug and play" as most people. I guess my life lesson here is... it's extremely difficult to fix, that which is not broke.

Anyhow, here is a picture taken from the rear wall showing the new speakers and the RT's in place...

Mooster1223's System 20160402_124556_zpslv3fb2ad

When compared to the KEF's, I have moved the speakers in to the room, an additional 14" and my seating position, an additional 9" closer to them. The baffle is now 5 feet from the front wall and I am just a little more than 4 feet from the rear wall. This puts my ears about, 6' from the plane where the baffles are. The speakers are 8.5 ft apart, center to center. They have also been moved further apart (total of 4") than the KEF's had been. When I had the KEF's playing, I was set up near a perfect equilateral triangle. I am now well inside of the triangle. I now get a more enveloping sound with a nice, strong, center image.

I moved inside of the triangle in an attempt to get a wider sound stage than the physical location of the speakers. I would like to say that I was successful but, that's more wishful thinking than anything else. I also tried my seating position more rearward which put me within 2 feet of the wall behind me in an attempt to get that magical boost in the low end. I did not care for result so, I went further forward than ever before. The one thing I did not do was move the speakers closer to the rear wall when my seat was within 2 feet of the back wall. That may be something worth trying in the future when I tire of the sound I currently have.

Once again, I am TERRIBLE about making a good "A vs B" observation but, I really don't think I had anything better (or worse) with the KEF's. I do seem to remember that the instruments may have been better defined outside of the center stage with the KEF's but, I honestly can't say that for sure. It may just be more Jedi mind tricks telling me that I made the wrong decision...
I can't remember listening to "The Final Cut" on the KEF's the way it captured me the other night so, MAYBE the Joseph Audios are magic lol!
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Mooster1223's System   Mooster1223's System Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2016 10:17 pm

Laughing it's like the compulsive buyer flu, we audiophiles catch it at least once a year. Someone should come up with a vaccine for us Smile

but exploring electronics and speakers has always been a fun hobby all on it's own

Cool
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Mooster1223's System   Mooster1223's System Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2016 8:19 am

Hi Mooster1223

Certainly the EQ is a no-go if it hums, and electrical hums can be very hard to track down and suppress. Something the solution that works can be quite the reverse of what we expect (like lifting a ground or doubling a ground).

I just posted something on Bill333's thread about using an EQ -- it is quite easy if you think in terms of slopes like the great Peter Walker designed into his preamps. Worry less about getting individual frequencies right as opposed to broad ranges. If a recording is thin sounding, raise the bass frequencies and at the same time reduce the trebles a bit. A bassy recording gets the opposite treatment. If the amounts of boost you use at the extremes do not exceed +4db things should be good and safe.

And trust your ears. There is no static solution -- if one setting sounds good today enjoy it, if you find another setting more musical tomorrow night don't worry, go use it. Although Sonic finds there are some curves I generally come back to.

Sonic
Back to top Go down
Mooster1223

PostSubject: Re: Mooster1223's System   Mooster1223's System Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2016 10:54 am

Mooster1223's System 20160409_104510_zpsvl7fq9gq
Back to top Go down
Mooster1223

PostSubject: Re: Mooster1223's System   Mooster1223's System Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2016 11:05 am

And why not. A picture of my unmolested equipment.

Mooster1223's System 20160409_105911_zpsfmbrywoe
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Mooster1223's System   Mooster1223's System Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 8:29 pm

How's the system gelling Question

Let me know if you get time and want to do some tweaking?
Back to top Go down
Mooster1223

PostSubject: Re: Mooster1223's System   Mooster1223's System Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2016 8:12 pm

It's going well here in Ohio. I'm currently listening to Shannon Lyon, the lights behind. It's a very mellow, pleasant album that's very enjoyable on my system. There's not enough steel guitar in non twangy music anymore... All we need now is a little more harmonica.

The steel guitar in "right time of the year" sounds alive with a lot of space around it. The acoustic guitar sounds nice and fat. The bass guitar is nice and thick and lends a perfect tie in with the guitar. I really recommend giving the song (or entire album) a listen.

I don't know when I'll get in to a tuning project. It's getting in to rifle shooting season and that takes up a BUNCH of my free time. I'll definitely let you know!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mooster1223's System   Mooster1223's System Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mooster1223's System
Page 1 of 1