Michael Green Audio Forum

https://tuneland.forumotion.com

Our Website  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Omnimic Sophistication?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
rotelguy

rotelguy

Omnimic Sophistication? Empty
PostSubject: Omnimic Sophistication?   Omnimic Sophistication? Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2016 5:47 am

I saw this on the Stereophile forum a few minutes ago Laughing or Crying or Very sad

"I was reading on one of the forums and ran into a review by Thomas Norton on the Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grand Symphony. (BTW: does anyone remember when speaker model names were single words or even just a number?).

In the review was a frequency response plot made using the OmniMic (a device I designed and programmed), along with the statement:

Quote:
I used the Omnimic system from Parts Express, a less sophisticated setup than JA uses.
Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/vienna-acoustics-beethoven-baby-grand...

Not a big deal, but I wish to take exception with that statement. I don't think that there is a setup with more sophistication than the Omnimic, though I'm of course opinionated on that subject. But the MLSSA system it was compared to is quite dated by comparison. The detail (resolution of the plot) in the Omnimic response shown has a lot of smoothing applied, but that's just a simple on-screen setting above the plot when it is being measured. It can be turned to apply more or less smoothing, or even down to no smoothing at all to see all the detail that is *possible* (time and room reflections are the limitations, not the software or hardware!).

I would also like to suggest that a possibly more meaningful graph to show (and which never seems to appear anywhere except technical journals!) is the "Wavelet Spectrogram", http://www.daytonaudio.com/OmniMicV2/hs17.htm, which can display in a single plot actual time smearing, resonances, diffractions, and room reflections which are getting into the act. It doesn't (directly) show frequency response -- so that is still a needed grap -- but the Wavelet Spectrogram shows perhaps a better view of how things are getting screwed around in the the time domain than does the usual CSD waterfall (which Omnimic can also do, btw). A negative, for print magazine publishing, is that the Wavelet Spectrogram does require a color rendition to indicate the third dimension, but that shouldn't be a limitation for online display at least
"

any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

Omnimic Sophistication? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Omnimic Sophistication?   Omnimic Sophistication? Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2016 8:31 am

Looks like the Dayton Audio OmniMic V2 is a useful device that can help put a name round the issues we may hear in our room. At $298 -- 399 it is affordable. Measurements do not define everything, while subjective listening can veer into the imaginary. Put listening and some measurements in partnership and we might get better tuned systems and rooms, done faster too!

Back to top Go down

Omnimic Sophistication?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Michael Green Audio Forum :: Audio Chat :: General Audio Chat, staying in tune-
Jump to: