Michael Green Audio Forum

http://tuneland.forumotion.com

Our Website  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

My Tunable Room (tjbhuler)

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: My Tunable Room (tjbhuler)   Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:53 am

So, the last post gave us the short story of how the components (electronics) became "less is more" for me. As the turn continued to happen the space where my ears and body were also took on new meaning.

Tj's SAM and Tunes

This is one of the places I hope we get to dive into this year through Tj's ears, so important study

Back to top Go down
tjbhuler

PostSubject: Re: My Tunable Room (tjbhuler)   Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:50 am

Hi Michael and my fellow tuners

Funny that you have posted that as I just recently discovered something new concerning my SAM wall Laughing

As the study of tune is in progress, I have taken a slight detour from my usual PZ mapping and laminar flow reports. Recently I had a group of friends over for a listen.  These are my work colleagues who have always been curious about my hobby.
Well to be exact 2 of my work colleagues came by for a listen. These are guys who have good interest in listening music but never had the passion to own a system nor indulge themselves in a system apart than what comes out from thier oem car audio and PC setups Laughing . So off they were taking turns sitting down to get a listen. As the other walks around the room in amazment on all the PZC's and RT pillows placed around the room and asking questions what is it for and how does it help.

As the sense of curiosity within them seemed to be quite intense with amazment and disbelieve I decided to do a small demo to make them understand what I'm talking about. As one of them were sitting down and listening I decided to remove the MEC that had recently placed over at the sides of the wall beside me. Immidiately the responce I got from them was that vocals seems to have lost its focus and moved away from the center. This itself got them amazed and excited as they were begining to understand what the tunes is all about and when I told them how I can spend hours in the room. It was a cool demo that also reminded me that the tunes is so effective and that can be affected so easily with a small amount of change here and there that even a non trained ear could easily pick it up Exclamation .

As they were listening I was at the back of the room choosing another cd for them to listen since many request were coming from them on the types of songs they want to listen. As I was busy searching for the cds all of a sudden my friend said "now what magic did you do?" As I was unsure scratch of what he meant by that I asked him again what happened Question he said now the left side image of the stage is huge and "light" sounding. This got me confused as I didn't do anything and yet something happened. So I checked around over at the front side to see anything has been moved but nothing seems to be displaced. Moving to the back I noticed that some extra wooden block that I acquired from the reno works moved and was touching the back part of my SAM wall bracings. Could it be that this was causing all the change in the sound Question I moved them away and immidiately the responce from my friends was yes its back !! Once again balance in the force has been restored Laughing

This got me thinking on how could that have  happened and how could that amount of change occur with just a small wooden piece of  2"×3"×0.5" touching the bracings of SAM wall Question Now this was running at the back of my mind for the rest of the time entertaining them. I repeated it again without thier knowledge to see if that effect is repeatable and noticible. Based on thier expression one of my friend responded saying that something is not correct. I then quitely removed the wooden piece and the sound was back. Now I can understand if that piece of wood is placed at the front side of the SAM wall which affects big time but at the back touching the bracings was something that I never realised could affect the same intensity as the front Shocked . If you have a look at the picture posted by Michael above the SAM wall, you will see that I have small wooden chips that I custom made previously which are stuck around the SAM wall. These wooden chips are from excess woods that came from the lumberyard during my wood picking sessions last year. I use them to further tune certain aspect of the stage to bring out more details, presence and stage depending on the recordings. This experience of using wooden chips came about from previous postings I read in Michaels thread from his old website.

I have various type and size of wooden chips ranging from pinewood, rosewood, ironwood, merbau and ebony wood. I got them for free as the owner of the lumberyard had no use of them since they were originally cut outs from the wooden blocks that came in previously to the lumberyard. Out of all of them only the ebony wood has been shaped up to a circular disc with a small hole drilled at the center of it which I have also made custom metal bits to be used as an insert to those holes drilled. I have them placed all around my room just as way for me to understand the interaction of laminar flow at the walls and ceilings apart than using cardborads as guide. But for my SAM wall I'm using them as a part of my tuning aid which is helping me a lot to dial in on certain recordings.

From now on I will be looking closely at the back part of my SAM wall as a tuning port for me and not to be dependent on the front side only. Will report in more hopefully with more good tunes ahead!

A question to Michael how would you look at the back of the SAM wall when tuning it Question I'm thinking logically that I will tune it the same way as I do at the front part of the wooden panel. In this case on the back part of the wooden panel but after experiencing the effect on the bracings would that be a good place to tune Question

Tj
Back to top Go down
tjbhuler

PostSubject: Re: My Tunable Room (tjbhuler)   Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:52 pm

Hello Michael and my fellow tuners,

Been a while since I posted here, work at times just gets you going by the time I get back home its either just too late to post up my latest tuning sessions on tuneland or even sit down and have a good listening session.

So after my previous success by introducing Michael's MEC's in the equation of my tuning artillery. My soundstage has expanded in all directions. Having music flying over and around my head which is an amazing expereince. Speakers seems to not exist and I finally have what others have previously expreienced and that is a "float". This is my best setting that I have ever gotten since I had my system. Everything seems to be working in synergy and harmony. Now theres some ups and downs that I experienced previously whenever I make a move tuning my room but I always bounce right back by correcting it and progressively improving on that aspect. This is because im able to make better predictions as i have mapped out my PZ's and understand better how they are interacting with my system amd room.

So being in a very satisfied point of my life well at least for now Laughing I decided to do some cleaning by removing my cushion seat that I kept at the back of my room and some tools that I previously used to assemble certain parts of my system and decided to bring in my old equipment rack to use it as a storage place in replacment of my cushion stool. Now knowing that everything affects our sound so I was very cautious with my move here. As I started removing my cushion and tools I was listening to my system each time I did so. Not to my surprise my soundstage collapsed massively Exclamation Gone was the float, 3D stage, bass and defined imaging. It literally felt that my bubble of PZ goodness surrounding my listening spot just "popped". I am now left with a flat 2D stage which sounds lower in volume and an akward sounding bass.

Current thoughts running in my mind :

1) Should I bring back in my cushion seat and let it be or should I continue to persue with my rack in my room and restart my tuning journey ?

2) With the rack in im able to tidy up my room and keep everthing more organized.

3)  Downfall I will have to restart everything from the beginning and build up the sound that I was getting previously. Who knows if i persue with the rack in I might be able to build it up and surpass what i was getting previously.

To me this is just a reminder as what Michael has been saying everything we do in our room and system affects the sound no matter how insignificant it may be!

The journey continues.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
tjbhuler

PostSubject: Re: My Tunable Room (tjbhuler)   Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:10 am

Hello Michael and my fellow tuners

Picking up from my last post I have decided to bring back my stool and remove the rack from my room and decided to re-tune my room from scratch. Now why I removed the rack was because during the course of me tuning up room with the racks in I realized the height was affecting my front stage which I cant do anything about it. However it has given me an idea which I will soon try by introducing a box which I have at the same height as my stool, so for now the stool is back in.

What I have done now is a total reset by removing all tuning tools (pzc fs, mec, RT pillow and resonators). I started off by tuning my front wall, side walls and ceilings once again. Well this makes sense as the walls have been resting in the room with a slight tension on them using the bolts. As mentioned previously by Michael the wooden panels needs to be in the room with my dehumidifier on and to be acclamitised with the room. My room has been up and running for the past 3 months and some of those bolts that I have kept it slightly tightened are now slightly tighter or loosen. This is all due to the flexing and resting of my wooden panels standing erected and with the humidity of my room for the past 3 months.  So off I went by removing everything that I have installed previously. My SAM wall which was heavily decorated with all sorts of tuning aids have been removed  Laughing . I brought in my stool, standing fan and dehumidifier which has been placed back to its exact original place.

With everything removed the frst thing I noticed was it sounded very "echoey". Stage has collapsed massively no proper imaging everything sounds light blur, distant and uninvolving. What a big difference it made  Exclamation  Well this is something I expected and am very well aware how effectve Michael's RT products are. As I mentioned my first step was to tune up my walls(wooden panels). I remembered when I did them 3 months ago I could shift my stage up,down, left and right just by tensioning them. But after going through that process I understand now that im looking at these panels as the fundamental of building and shaping up my PZ. It is with these panels that I was able to build up a nice bubble of PZ which gave a good sense of pressure build up that could be sensed in my ears. Of course initially I revisited my speaker placements to make sure that they are properly aligned and equally spaced out between speakers and me. So once I readjusted my speaker placement which was off from the left side by 2mm. I was ready to start work on my front wall panels. This is where the fun begins as I started listening to Jennifer Warner track #4 on The Well album. I am able to hear the vocals have shifted to the left side off from center plane by 5-6". Now as my mind starts to run around on where to work on first since such imbalance can be corrected in many ways. I decided to look at my SAM wall first to make sure that they are properly aligned as that can severly affect my left right stage balance. Now that was checked and found it was correctly palced. So I moved on to work on my Upper front wall panel, by slightly tensioning my center front left panel I was able to move the image back to the center and also by loosening my right side panel im able to move the image to the center. So there was a balance that I need to get between them. Why a balance is because if I tightened only the left panel to move the image it will cause the tone to shift up which doesn't sound correct. So a slight tension on the left side and on the second left panel and loosening slightly on the right panel got everything balanced up and centered beautifully without affecting the tonal balance. This also got my image to lined up better. Next was to work on my Lower front wall panels this was to get a good stage height which was not much affected in comparison to my previous setting done 3 months ago.  As of now the centered vocals and slightly better imaging is sounding very promising Exclamation

I continued palying track # 4 and revisited other areas of the room to hear my PZ imbalance by comparing to what I got from previous listening session that I did around 2 month ago and I realized the PZ's have moved from its initial spot that i have mapped 2 months ago. Interesting as I didn't expected it to move that much with all my equipments, sitting placement and SAM wall placed at the same exact site. Now did I plot out my initial PZ wrongly or did I misintepret my writings is something that I can't confirm but it seems everything has moved either forward, backwards or sideways by 1-2'. Could this be solely due to adjusting the front wall panels that have caused a shift of my PZ's in the room? Or maybe readjusting my right side speaker by 2mm affected it this much? Well this is something that I need to think about more.

After re-plotting the PZ I moved to my side panels, after tuning them up the instrument seperations and bass was beginning to sound much better. Now this has also changed as I remembered from my previous tuning the side panels affected my imaging and stage width and nothing on the bass  scratch . Wow this is a total different on what I have expereinced previously. Now this seems hard to understand but to me it is beginning to make sense on what Michael has been saying about how the wood will mature and sound different. Could this be correct Michael? Or am I wrong to understand what you were saying? Either way the amount of bass that im getting now is crazy good  Laughing . I can hear more bass but not in an overly empowering manner. This is good, my next move is to work on my ceilings this time it was behaving the same way as it did previously when comparing to front and back part of my ceiling with what I did 6-7 weeks ago.

As of now the sound that im getting is a semi banana soundstage but with more bass output and decent imaging. As for the tone I would place it slightly weigthier with sweeter highs. I would love to get more extensions on the highs but then again im still at my preliminary stage of tuning my room up to its peak performance state. The difference of what im hearing now and what it was previously is quite significant and nothing seems to be behaving the same except for the ceilings which is affecting the stage height and slightly on the 3D presence. This indeed is very exciting to expereince eventhough I can conclude that the placement of all my major structure in my room are at the exact same place as previously except for the right speaker that was brought forward by 2mm.

Im dividing my tuning sessions into 2 parts. The first part is tuning all non mobile and heavy structures (Front and side walls, ceilings, SAM wall) and second part will be variable/flexible tuning aids (PZC-FS, PZC- MEC, RT pillows and resonators). My next tuning session is still within the first part which is the SAM wall by moving them in correlation to my listening spot and back wall. Although it is mobile and I can move it around but due to its large and heavy structure I will keep it under first part of my tuning session as it only moves forward and backward and nothing more.Hopefully I will be able to post it up soon but for now I will give a good 3 days of settling period before I start back.

Tj
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: My Tunable Room (tjbhuler)   Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:26 am

Hi Tj, great reporting!

In about 3 to 4 months from now you will probably want to do a de-tune and let the music play for about 3 days with everything loose. Then slowly bring things back up to tuned. This will help the room voice evenly as it matures.

Nice to see the room talking to you Very Happy

study

Back to top Go down
tjbhuler

PostSubject: Re: My Tunable Room (tjbhuler)   Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:42 am

Hi Michael

Thanks and yes I definatley will need to de-tune them again in time as you have mentioned. The possibilities in tuning a tunable room is limitless. My mind is running wild here on the possibilities that I can do and what needs to be done next Laughing .

In time to come I will explore all kind of tuning methods especially nearfield tuning which I can see it happening, with the SAM wall everything and anything is possible Exclamation .

Tj
Back to top Go down
tjbhuler

PostSubject: Re: My Tunable Room (tjbhuler)   Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:54 am

Preliminary Tuning of my SAM wall

After a good 3 days of resting and settling period I decided to start my tuning session once more but before that I started off by doing some preliminary listening sessions to the same album The Well by Jennifer Warner. The resting and settling period did some good to the room! I find that the girth on each instruments and vocals have increased and more pronounced. Bass however remained the same maybe slightly more extension but overall it remained within the same range as previously heard. There is a sense of "filling up the room" when bass or vocals starts to kick in. To me this is a good sign as its telling me more PZ's in my room are getting excited and reacting with the speaker and all tjat goodness is surrounding me. Stage width has grown significantly and I can start to hear musical notes flanking me from the sides and behind of my right shoulder  Exclamation  Speaker is less noticible but center image seems to be recessed to the back in comparison to the sides that im getting which is more forward projecting. Its like a capital "M" where center seems to be recessed and sides are projecting forward. 

So knowing this it is good that I made the move to work on my SAM wall after the front, side and ceiling walls were done. This has brought out more PZ excited around my listening spot which I now can work on them in a much more predictable manner. My first step was to move back my SAM wall to 3' behind me. Why 3' well that's the maximum distance that I can equally space out behind me due to my right side back wall which is angled inwards to the room.

Listening from this position made my sound stage more recessed, thin, hollow and distant sounding. This gave me a back row seat when listening in a concert with less palpability on each notes. As I start moving the SAM wall closer to my sitting position im begining to move into a front row seat. Giving me a cosy somewhat wrap around listening environment. Placing the SAM Wall at 21.2" away from the back of my head gave the best listeninig environment anything closer or further to my head will cause a collapse of that beautiful PZ bubble that is formed. With 21.2" away bass sounds full, rounded and tuneful moving the SAM wall nearer will cause the bass to sound boomy. Image focus and presence is best at this distance too giving me a feel that singer is in the room. Acoustics sound very realistic and there's a sense of vibrations around my nasal and chest region on each note. This is amazing as its giving me more than what I had previously  Laughing

Now listening for some time at this position I decided to give 1 day of settiling in and let my ears rest too. The next day I listened again and this time it happened vocals are now projecting forward but 20% of the vocals is now coming from the back of my head  Shocked  Moving my head seems to remove the sound coming from the back of my head but if I look forward vocals tend to be heard from the back of my head. Its like theres a straight line passing through from the center plane of my speakers to the back of my head. If I lean my head back by 5-6" the vocals will move to the front but as I move my head 3" forward the sound coming from the back of my head now gets enhanced and if I look down the presence of vocals becomes more pronounced at the back of my head. Now im taking this as a good thing because the PZ is now more intense around my sitting position. Tightening the center bolt of my SAM wall is also affecting it, giving a tighter focussed center image but if I tightend it too much the girth of my center image tends to shrink which makes it sounds awkward as its not balanced with the rest of the image im getting from the overall full stage presentation.

As for my sides I find that the right side of my listening spot is being filled up more than the left side. Each time I reverse the polarity from my preamp I find that the right side of my listening spot is filled up past behind me and the left side can only get to about 1' in front of me but never past me. Well maybe I can relate that due to the shape of the back right side wall which is angled inwards towards the room as mentioned previously.

Over the years now I have been relying on SAM wall to get everything locked in. Even before this room when my system was located in my living room, I used a wooden plank placed behind my head. This made up a lot for my center stage and sides too giving a much more focussed and 3D wrap around feel. Now moving up to my current room and with a proper SAM wall I'm just amazed how much more I'm getting from it. I feel a SAM wall is a must in any room, its like a binocular which you can use to zoom in and out your soundstage making it sounding forward or laid back. It can focus your image and bring out more presence and tune your bass. It helps to even out and balance your PZ in a given space. Looking at it and knowing the importance on working your front wall, to me  I find that the SAM wall is equally or maybe more important then the fronts Laughing . I will keep my SAM wall at a distance of 21.2" away from my back head and let the PZ reach a state of equilibrium. Hopefully in a day or two I will have time to revisit and report back my final impression with the SAM wall placement.

If eveything goes well then my next step will be to bring in Michael's PZC FS and MEC's to the equation. As my past expreience has shown that the FS and MEC's will elevate what I have now to another level.

Tj
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: My Tunable Room (tjbhuler)   Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:00 pm

Hi Tj

This is very exciting and you are probably thinking "if I can do this with my room what about my system".

Having the Tunable Room will guide you through the rest of your system as you listen and develop cues in the music that become common threads. This is why I have low mass free resonant electronics and speakers. This may be hard to believe for the average system listener but once you go with a low mass "Tunable" system and speakers your control will triple.

What we are doing here is making Audiophile history and every hobbyist's eyes and ears should be focused on your next few steps and then all the way through to the ultimate system.

Back to top Go down
StevenZ

PostSubject: Re: My Tunable Room (tjbhuler)   Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:46 pm

What a cool journey you've been on. The ups and downs and learning to listen to old recordings for the first time. I bet that's one heck of an experience.

Gives us guys who don't have the opportunity to set up a dedicated listening room something to dream about. As for me I'm stuck in an office as my home is too small to accommodate a stereo, along with a young kid running around who likes to poke and move things constantly.
Back to top Go down
tjbhuler

PostSubject: Re: My Tunable Room (tjbhuler)   Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:47 am

Hi Steven

Thanks for chiming in Exclamation , yes its an amzing journey the more you get into the tunes the you more will realize how much wealth of information is there in a room and within the audio chain that needs to be tuned.

With or without a dedicated room Michaels tunes is always there to get your system up to another level of listening pleasure. Please do look into incorporating a SAM wall in your listening space. I believe it will do big justice to your setup Very Happy .

Regards

Tj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Tunable Room (tjbhuler)   

Back to top Go down

My Tunable Room (tjbhuler)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2