Michael Green Audio Forum

http://tuneland.forumotion.com

Our Website  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

A Soundstage Template

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: A Soundstage Template   Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:31 pm

While doing some listening I tripped over the perfect example to one of my favorite personal topics. When I get asked the question "what is the correct soundstage" I answer "wherever you wish to take it" but deep inside there is another answer screaming to voice itself but I never know quite how to describe it. I mean what do you say to explain Real Size/Real Space? Sure we can go off of measurements of the real spaces but how do we relate this to a listener sitting in a listening room?

The first conflict I see for many is a decision "Detail vs Space" and as true as this is in the back of my mind I say "why not have both". Both are within the recorded code of course so why not look at a more correct soundstage by presenting the actual soundstage? We can always go back and apply any personal taste we wish but having a real space template would be grand to experience, if even only once, so we knew it actually existed.

I may have found (as I said tripped over) an example to use.

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Soundstage Template   Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:35 pm

Can I start off by putting up some posts that I made on Facebook that led me to this thread idea.

june 20 2018

"Ever been sitting there on Sunday afternoon making your plans for the week, then you wake up and it's Wednesday? Here's what I recommend. Put on this recording, kick back, relax, and float into the weekend. You've come this far might as well levitate your way through a couple more days."

june 26 2018

"OK you can laugh now, I did it. After being impressed with the soundstage of one of the CDs I decided to act my age and buy the set of 9. I'm not going to lie, I did feel a little like one of those Reader’s Digest CD set collectors, but I figure now that I'm in my old age prime and look like Gandalf you guys are going to cut me even more slack than usual. I'm now playing "Enchanted Journey" and can barely keep my eyes open, it's that relaxing. This soundstage size is huge and goes way back behind my head. You try sitting in the middle of a 30' stage with gentle "Jean-Michel-Jarre" type music and birds singing all around you and see how long you stay awake. Shoot I can hear some of you snoring now or maybe that's my writing. Either way so far these recordings are proving to be of exceptional recorded quality. Hey, maybe I'll start doing the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes thing."

june 27 2018

"We're really only at the very beginning of the hobby. I'm into my 3rd CD of the set (not going in any order) and the soundstage learning curve is just setting in. My first two recordings happened so easily I was shaking my head at the intelligence of the engineering. Now playing "Nature's Guitar" I see the brilliance of variable tuning. There's a science behind tuning in the recorded code in playback that is yet to be made the standard, but will in time as we mature our hobby. Having this set of recordings is a great example to follow, here's why. I'm experiencing that with each of these recordings there is a stage template, and when you tune it in the overall space expands out to the sonic edges and the internal stage fills in, not the other way around. I don't and never have believed in detail only exclusivity. That definition of audio soundstaging is too narrow and shallow and frankly only exist in opinions and not the whole. I'm pretty sure and soon will confirm with this series of recordings at it is space first and then the details will follow to playback a complete recording. Squeezing the detail is an option but is not the whole."

june 28 2018

"For those who may be following me with the "Natural Dreams" series I'm now listening to "Morning Sunrise". After half the way through I needed to look and make sure the CD matched the case because I was not getting the morning part, but for a couple songs. If these were sunrises I missed it. Instead once I got inside of that soundstage my mind created a full length motion picture including a couple scary parts. If any of you get this recording we can compare notes."

june 28 2018

"Bonus, I was wrong, this is a 10 CD set. I'm now playing "Desert Blues". Same soundstage cues and the instruments are smooth and sultry. Very easy to listen to and the stage drifts way out there like the other recordings in this series. I would enjoy doing a HEA show just using these recordings. That would be trippy! Is this my favorite of the set?"

june 30 2018

"Continuing with "Natural Dreams" I take to Africa. Another very nice soundstage with deep rich bass that transports me to the African bush. Majestic music that has no problem painting the landscape."

june 30 2018

"In this series of recordings I'm also discovering things about myself like, believe it or not, what type of climate I feel the most comfortable in while listening. I would never have thought listening to nature music that I would start to sense the associated climates but I am. Once that soundstage is dialed in and I can feel the content behind me it's easy to drift inside of my imagination, or should I say my triggered imagination. I'm sure it's also a natural trait of mine since I find the soundstage as being the most accurate part of any recording, but this is like me engineering in different halls and studios, when you can feel the Vibe inside of that venue. I should add, plus the Vibe of the artist. It's that moment of being there or that moment of recreating the being there."

july 2 2018

"Last nite I listened to Natural Dreams' "Caribbean Breeze". It is exactly like the title says, a breeze. Now where's my suntan lotion?"

july 2 2018

"Isn't it amazing what you find when you look deeper than what is on the surface?"

july 3 2018

"Did the series go by that quickly? I looked through the cases again to see if there were a couple more recordings in the set, none. I feel like I'm just getting started on my relaxing vacation around the world and already it's time to pack up and fly home. It was a great journey though and I'm looking forward to writing about it on TuneLand. I also have a feeling some of these recordings will be making their way to my bedroom system as well as some that I have found to be more references to add to my list. For now though it's time to float away in a "Natural Dream"."

Last edited by Michael Green on Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:52 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sonic Voyager

PostSubject: Re: A Soundstage Template   Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:06 am

Hi Michael

This must be leading to something with further/more posts to come. I don't the get the point (yet).

Sonic

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Soundstage Template   Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:11 pm

Hi Sonic Laughing My threads have points Laughing

Actually yes, I want to walk through these recordings and do some referencing. Hang tight while I lay out the foundation.

study

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Soundstage Template   Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:20 am

With my drawing programs I could probably get more exact with the shape of the "natural dreams" recordings' soundstage but this will do for now.

down view of the stage

horizonal view of the stage

When I first started listening to these recordings I was picturing the stage size to be 30' x 30'. Now after living with them a while it is anywhere from 28'x28' to 32'x32' with an occasional effect that is hard to measure because of the effect itself. If you get these recordings you will see what I mean. Also the height sometimes settles in at about 14' to 16' high but then there will be the illusion that feels much higher. However the density of the height stays at around 11' to 12'.

Back to top Go down
Sonic Voyager

PostSubject: Re: A Soundstage Template   Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:44 am

Hi Michael

Very good your soundstage map. Could you add into your diagrams the position, size and height of the synth starting at 1.02 and the instruments of the whole “band” starting at about 2.04 of Natural Dreams’ Caribbean Breeze? Sonic is listening to this recording on my system and trying to compare/map to what you hear.

Sonic

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Soundstage Template   Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:33 pm

Hi Sonic

Good to have you onboard Very Happy

I've started by using track 3, one of my go to tracks for size on this CD. The effects are all around me and the bottom end is very deep when it plays. I've made small adjustments to the YUNG to give me that full sound with all the different parts. On track 3 the total stage is as full and big as the map.

Now I will go back to track one and draw it up.

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Soundstage Template   Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:04 pm

From the beginning here are the waves and knocking of wood.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Soundstage Template   

Back to top Go down

A Soundstage Template
Page 1 of 1