Michael Green Audio Forum

http://tuneland.forumotion.com

Our Website  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Scott's System

Go down 
AuthorMessage
MGA

PostSubject: Scott's System   Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:31 am

Hello,

I just discovered your site. There is so much info here, I'll be a while digesting some of it. Wondering if I could get a price on  the RoomTune TunePak to get  started.

Hello Michael,

Thank you for the quick reply!  Looking at your site I feel like I've been hit with a tidal wave of information!  Absolutely fascinating.

I've been looking for audio bliss for about 40 years and feel like I'm finally getting closer.  I've attached a few pictures of my listening room.  I'm  in a small basement room with cement floors roughly 12x14 with 7.5 ft ceiling.  The walls are designed to resist water damage. The best I can describe them is like dense drywall with a wallpaper covering. Hopefully, if you wouldn't mind, can offer a few suggestions as to what to do next.

So far the only thing I've done relating to what I've found on MGA is to move my speakers into what I thought might be pressure zones on the side wall and moved my listening position more toward the rear wall. I'm getting a sound stage now, just would like to make if bigger and of course overall better sound.  I'd say its the best sound I've ever heard in my house, but I'm sure more can be done. You may notice from the pics that I've got some GIK panels and basstraps as well as some diffusors.  I was told by a customer of yours that he started with the tunepack and had excellent results.  Also, if you wouldn't mind including a price sheet on spike and cones  and platforms I'd appreciate it.

If it makes a difference my current system  consists of...

SOTA  turntable, audiomods  tonearm, grado green cartridge
Antique  audio USA phono preamp
Schiit audio Modi  multibit dac fed by a raspberry pi network  streamer
Decware SE84UFO  tube amp Betsy Baffle speakers.  

Scott
Back to top Go down
Sonic Voyager

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:01 am

Welcome to the Tune Scott!

Nice compact room and system you have. Good move to use the side wall pressure zones. That was what transformed my system after Sonic wrestling with all the Rule of Thirds, various placement calculations and so on. Being close to the side walls gave me bass and the wide spacing of my panel speakers had no "hole in the middle" effect. That (along with "first reflection points") is an audiophile myth or over-statement arising from poorly set up equipment.

A question: how far down the length of your room are your Betsy Baffles?

I ask because when you get to the halfway point (or near it), there will be a serious bass suckout. This is simply a function of how standing waves build up between the parallel surfaces of all rooms. In my room it was a big loss of energy at 51 hz. Of course if you have a subwoofer placed somewhere else, this notch can be used to your advantage. But with speakers systems without subs, placing the speakers near the side walls and at the 1/3 or 1/5 lengths will avoid the steep bass notch and give a nice bass balance.

Sonic

Back to top Go down
hifitone

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:23 am

Thanks Sonic,

I've got the speakers roughly 6' from the back wall, so almost halfway. Funny you mention the 51hz problem. I've been doing measuring with REW and noticed a big suckout at 50hz every time. Tried three different speaker systems and the suckout was always there. I haven't varied the speaker position all that much until now, so I should probably measure again. I was surprised by the amount of bass these little speakers were able to produce. I currently have my sub disconnected.

I'll try the 1/3 and 1/5 positions and see how it goes.

Scott
Back to top Go down
rotelguy

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:48 pm

Welcome to TuneLand Scott!

We left Michael's a few minutes ago. He's doing his New Year count down. Wanted to stop by your thread and say hello. You'll have fun here.

Happy New Year!
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:33 pm

Hi Guys

A very busy last few weeks, but I think the season may be starting to settle down, after CES of course. I'm hoping tonight I can take a look at Scott's system cause I've been wanting to wrap my ears around it a little bit.

see you soon, thanks

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:16 am

Hi Scott

Is this your model of Betsy Baffle?

BTW, I find this shape extremely attractive! Many years ago I came out with a line called the Deco Series that sold on a "Mod" site. The line was short lived as I had already had too many irons in the fire, but one of the shapes was like the speakers you have, very cool.

Last edited by Michael Green on Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
hifitone

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:21 am

Yes sir,

Just a little different finish is all.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:39 am

Well, they're just as cool as can be!

So I'm going to start this by what I see when I look at the room and system and then you can help me with the sound.

For example

When I take a look I'm thinking tuning the upper corners, mid seams and corners of the room.

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:46 am

" I've attached a few pictures of my listening room.  I'm  in a small basement room with cement floors roughly 12x14 with 7.5 ft ceiling."

Is that carpet on the floor Scott? Does it have a padding? I see the rug but what is the rest of the flooring?

thanks

I might have a few questions bear with me study

Back to top Go down
hifitone

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:16 pm

I really like the Betsy's. As it turns out, where I have them for listening is right in front of the two doors, so it's nice that they are so easy to move. Only takes a few seconds to set up.

I've got two rugs, fairly thin about 8x5. The dark covering is some 3/4" foam we used to cover the entire room. The foam was sold at Meijer and in a kit that fit together like puzzle pieces to use as a temporary flooring for a kids playroom. Years ago, the room was just that - a kids playroom. I pulled up the foam covering where the equipment is located to make it easier to move things around and to make the rack more stable.

Wondering if I keep the existing treatments, get rid of all or something in between.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:33 pm

"Wondering if I keep the existing treatments, get rid of all or something in between."

There are a few listening field trips I'd like to take with you, then I can better advise. Are the backs of the RPG type panels flat? If so can you take two of them and put them, flat side up, and place your Betsy on them and tell me what you hear?

Back to top Go down
hifitone

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:23 pm

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by RPG. Do you mean the 2x2 wooden diffusers or the 4x2 fabric covered absorbers?
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:24 pm

The 2x2 wooden diffusers. I'd like to hear the Betsy's with a platform, of sorts, underneath them.

study

Back to top Go down
hifitone

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:37 pm

I went ahead and tried it last night after realizing RPG makes wooden diffusers. I noticed improvements in definition and bass volume was increased a bit. The soundstage size did not change as far as I could tell. Listening to the sun king, the crickets started just above the right speaker, then panned to the left and receded toward the back and ended up in front of the back wall just beyond the left speaker. The speakers were in the same spot, at least within an inch or so. I'll listen more tonight and hopefully be able to give you more to go on.

thanks
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:38 pm

Yes, please do give a report as it settles a little. Doing the Sun King cricket referencing will be perfect.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   

Back to top Go down

Scott's System
Page 1 of 1