Michael Green Audio Forum

https://tuneland.forumotion.com

Our Website  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Girth and A La Carte woods

Go down 
AuthorMessage
JBarchives

Girth and A La Carte woods Empty
PostSubject: Girth and A La Carte woods   Girth and A La Carte woods Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2019 8:57 am

Girth and A La Carte woods M2087

Girth and A la Carte Woods

Over the past two days, I have been experimenting with A La Carte wood washers and there is a direct correlation between the type of wood you choose and the girth of sound that is produced as a result of your choices. If you like a more full bodied sound, the way to accomplish this is to get yourself a supply of the A La Carte woods for your rack shelves as well as washers for your speakers and PZCs and then experiment with them in your system.

Believing in being methodical about this, I have started with wood washers on my Chameleons. I replaced the Magic Wood (MW) washers with the western red cedar washers and like the results with the western red cedar better than with the MW. The bass extended a few notes deeper and from the midrange down, the sound was smoother. I could hear the "girth" increase especially in the bass region.

Girth and A La Carte woods Chameleonredcedar

After playing with sizes of the washers on the Chameleons, I then moved to my SAM. I first placed a butternut washer on the front of my same beneath the tuning bolt. I can't say that I did not like the sound, but the sound thinned out somewhat (i.e., less "girth"). So, my next choice was to try a walnut wood washer on the SAM. Much better, in fact I liked what I was hearing in the sonic envelope, the girth of the sound, and the staging that was going on.

Girth and A La Carte woods Samwalnut

I next moved to my Ceiling PZC and used a walnut washer here also. Same results as I heard with the SAM results.

Girth and A La Carte woods Ceilingpzcwalnut

Last, after listening, I added a walnut washer to the center front horizontal MEC PZC behind my racks. This completed the sonic picture for me and where I have stopped at this point. I want to see what the results sound like over time, but I am very pleased with the results of these combinations.

Girth and A La Carte woods Frontwall

Keep in mind, that although I personally did not like the butternut on my SAM, that does not mean that it will not work well some other place in my system or in yours either. The use of A La Carte woods is component and system dependent and you must keep this in mind when using different A La Carte woods. Try different combinations until you find what suits your sonic tastes and, by all means, proceed slowly. Also, make sure you "cure" the wood properly if you need to so do.

Note: When experimenting with wood washers, you have the choice of removing the brass washer from underneath the tuning bolt on your speakers and on your PZCs. If, in your system, it sounds better without as it did in mine, leave off the brass washer. But, try it both ways to see which way you like best. You will hear a difference both ways -- with and without.

Girth and A La Carte woods
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Michael Green Audio Forum :: Audio Chat :: Jim Bookhard Reviews-
Jump to: