Michael Green Audio Forum

https://tuneland.forumotion.com

Our Website  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Robert Harrison's Tunable System

Go down 
+4
what about bob
Drewster
yikes
Bill333
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Robert Harrison

Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Robert Harrison's Tunable System   Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 12:21 am

I've just kind of been taking it slow, still doing the move the speakers an inch forward thing every couple of weeks, allowing for settling time. It seems to work better than it did back in the spring before I took the covers off the electronics and clipped the tie wraps and such.

Some Amish folks were selling their wares in the lobby of the theater I work at on Saturday mornings for several months. They must have given up on that, as I haven't seen them since early summer. They left some of their unsold items here, including two tiny wooden bench seats which must have been made for children. I took those home thinking I could use them as speaker platforms, but my low ceiling didn't allow for that.

So, I now have them sitting on the floor half way between my speakers and the front wall, about an inch from each side wall. They are rectangular, and I have the long end (about 2 feet in length) standing up, leaning on the legs. This puts them at an angle.

Just wondering, Mr. Green, if you have ever put a floor standing PZC or even a Sound Shutter at an angle instead of standing straight up? I'll bet you have tried it. Did you find it beneficial or detrimental? I could always put something under one end to make them stand straight up.
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Robert Harrison's Tunable System   Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 1:01 pm

Hi Robert

Sonic made an attempt to answer your question on my thread. I've tried and am using some of my Shutters angled. While I haven't used my PZCs at an angle to the the vertical, I and several Tunees have tried FS-DRTs angled, like leaning them against a wall. This works in many settings giving a greater sense of height to the soundstage. For Sonic, I took a different path by positioning the two Shutters fixed to the bookcase "wall" to get the height I wanted by fixing them at points sightly above my ears.

Sonic
Back to top Go down
Robert Harrison

PostSubject: Re: Robert Harrison's Tunable System   Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 11:15 am

Last spring, when the Tuning Bug hit me again, I brought home some 2 foot square, inch thick rubber pieces that had been laying around in a store room at work to use in my experiments. After perusing Tuneland, however, I set them aside as rubber didn't seem to be considered useful as it would do more damping than harmonicizing (how's that for a new word?).

With the onset of winter, I found myself getting cold feet, literally, as I had taken all rugs out of my listening room, leaving my tootsies touching the cold cement floor. Even with house shoes on, the cold still creeps up into my feet. So, I brought in one of these rubber pieces figuring it might be better than a cloth rug (haven't tried bamboo yet; will it keep feet warm?) and used it as mat in front of my chair.

Moving on, I took another pair and placed them against each wall to the sides of the speakers. As with just about anything, the sound quality did change, and eventually I put those tiny wooden benches (as reported in Sonic's thread) in the same position, then later again, brought the rubber pieces back in the room and balanced those on top of the benches, where they were now at ear level. Later still, I brought in 2 more pieces and put them at an angle covering the farthest rear corners of my room (I am the guy with four rear corners, two nearer room center).

Those rear pieces didn't make a difference that was obvious, so I next put them in the same angled position against the nearer rear corners, and here the difference was obvious. Mostly, I must report a "warming" of the sound, not necessarily detrimental. Last night, though, I took the pieces that were flanking the speakers and put them up in the front corners, angled, sitting atop the subwoofer on the front right and the pressure box on the front left. I put on one of those New Age compilations that I have been listening too ad infinitum these past months and grooved on the usual "re-mix" aspect of the sound.

One item that made me happy was FINALLY being to able to comprehend what I had previously through all these years only make out as a sort of dove cooing sound on a track from a Windham Hill compilation. It turns out it was more "concrete" than I thought it was, being a...oh what should I call it?...an echo, let's say, of the rhythm which begins the track. Just to let you all laugh at my meager powers of description, the rhythm was dinka dink dinka da dinka dinka and the "echo" was the same played with a different percussion instrument (or possibly electronic percussion).

When I had finished the CD, I went back to that track, but by then my furnace was in a cycle so that low level information was lost to the air flow coming out of the ceiling vent which is not too far from my chair. So, let's give it some days to settle and see if that still comes through and also what my other recordings have to offer which may reveal some previously misunderstood sound effect.
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Robert Harrison's Tunable System   Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 2:33 pm

Hi Robert

You are surely using ingenuity with the Tune. Very good thinking out of the box.
You got good ears by being able to hearing into what the "non-standard" items of "tuning gear" is doing to your room and sound.

Sonic
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Robert Harrison's Tunable System   Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 12:00 am

Hi Robert

After playing last week how many RT Squares do you want me to send you to play with? What color?
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Robert Harrison's Tunable System   Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 10:11 am

Hi Robert

Sub integration solved and sounding nice yet? How far back is your subwoofer offset from the front speakers I wonder....there is this chap I know who has a theory about subs -- he believes that the problem lies in the large drivers having more inertia than the main systems so when a transient strikes, the main speakers move first and the sub is slightly delayed. So the slow start gives a form of phase distortion and the music sounds subjectively slow and the overhang at the tail end of the signals muddies the music.

His solution? He used DSP and delayed his main system by some milleseconds adjusted by ear so that the wavefront arrival times at his ears are matched. Say's this worked for him. He also brought his sub very close to the plane of his speakers to cut any delay from the physical positioning of his sub.

Sonic's view? I think DSP is a dead end and any sub that is this slow on transients has to be either very badly designed or faulty. But this friend has a unigue problem -- a large room, fast planars and a big REL sub.

Not suggesting you or any Zonees try this but it is a good attempt by one audiophile and music lover with some tech skills who tried to solve the problem. And it didn't sound too bad actually.

Sonic
Back to top Go down
Robert Harrison

PostSubject: Re: Robert Harrison's Tunable System   Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 12:18 am

Hey, Sonic,

I have been taking things slowly since I discovered TuneLand last Spring. And that is what I'm doing now. The sub is still shut off whilst I let things settle after each move of the main speakers.

I originally moved my chairs 2 feet closer to the back wall and the speakers also 2 feet further into the center of the room. After a few days of listening to that change, I moved the speakers back 6 inches toward the front wall. This offered a cleaner sound, yet it seemed to me as if the soundfield had become diamond shaped; i.e, like there were four speakers in my room firing in a tight pattern from the center front and back and from the side speaker positions.

Moving the speakers another inch towards the front wall filled out the room more. Also, something I had experienced on another occasion when I had the chair where it is now returned; some sounds danced almost directly around my head! As far as making the walls disappear, that probably won't happen until I get PZCs and the other goodies from Mr. Green.

So, I will most likely leave the sub off for awhile and try a few more moves, including that panel behind my chair.

Maybe I never mentioned this, but I have tried running both the main speakers through a digital delay box and at other times, running the sub through same. But there, we're getting away from the simplicity of The Tune, aren't we? I may explore this route again, but for now I'm digging the results of these recent moves, having had my listening chair (and the 2 flanking it) at the same position for such a long time.

I will say this: the Martin-Logan Depth sub I have works very well and I wasn't exactly displeased with the results I had before. I just know, however, that each move of the main speakers and/or my chair must correlate with the sub, so I don't want to have to be trying to integrate the sub again until I have an ultimate (or near enough) position for everything else.
Back to top Go down
Robert Harrison

PostSubject: Re: Robert Harrison's Tunable System   Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 4:53 pm

Hey, Mr. Green,

I was just checking out your statement on Sonic's thread about how bright does not equal detail. That is a fight I have had with myself over and over through the years, as brightness does SEEM to be more detailed, but eventually listening fatigue sets in.

Now for the question of the day:

If you were to listen to a mono recording with one channel out of phase with the other, what would the result be on your set-up? Specifically, do you hear the signal hugging the walls or does it sound as if the signal is coming from outside the room, almost as if from another dimension? I'm still trying to figure out what I should be looking for with my results.

You have seen me complain how my phantom surround signal favors the right rear side of the room, whilst the front phantom center leans to the left. I had another round of trying to alleviate that last night by moving the speakers and changing the balance on the pre-amp. The XLO Test CD has 2 tracks with a mono out-of-phase signal for just such experimenting. I'm thinking perhaps what I have been pursuing is the cause of my continual downfall, that being: hearing the out-of-phase signal bouncing back at me from the rear corners when I turn my head either way, an effect which is sort of nice when watching stereo movies.

What I left off with last night was NOT having that effect; when I turn my head there is no hint of a signal back there except for what I hear from other parts of the room. This was accomplished by moving the right channel speaker closer, although the instructions with the CD say to do the opposite, which hasn't been working for me, lo, all these years (hence me eventually giving up on it for long periods of time).

My explanation might not make sense, but I do favor the "coming from another dimension" result if I can figure out how to do it. When you have the time, please tell me your thoughts on this.
Back to top Go down
Robert Harrison

PostSubject: Re: Robert Harrison's Tunable System   Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 11:47 am

Hey, Mr. Green,

I am supposed to receive a package tomorrow (Wednesday). Thanks much.

Last night's listening makes me think that all I did was take that right side emphasis and move it up to the front half of the room. I am getting more focus on the left side and more diffuse on the right. Damn frustrating. However, let's see what a few days settling will show me.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Robert Harrison's Tunable System   Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 11:23 pm

Hi Robert

It's time to get the picture part of the thread going. What do we have in the way of photos and drawings that we can start posting giving us a view of what's happening?
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Robert Harrison's Tunable System   Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 10:54 am

Hi Michael

Robert asked a good querstion that l never thought of!

What do you/listener hear in your tuned room -- your system or Bill333's -- when you hit play a recording out of phase?

Does the sound appear at the side walls with nothing in the middle, does the sound go into the adjacent room or another dimension? does it go behind the listeners' head? If you can describe this like the way you described the Beatles' Sun King it will be useful.

Sonic

Back to top Go down
Robert Harrison

PostSubject: Re: Robert Harrison's Tunable System   Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 12:19 pm

Here it is folks, the overhead diagram of my media room. The delay was because I don't really understand the pic submitting process (even now you can still see codes under the diagram that probably shouldn't be there; anyone can help me to set this straight by sending me a tip or two as a personal message).

Now you can see what I have been talking about regarding the four rear corners. This diagram reflects having moved my chairs further back towards the rear wall, but I forgot to indicate the stand in for Mr. Green's tuning panel that is about a foot behind the center chair. I will post some pics soon, after I get some input on how to do so properly.

Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 5637595211_a84be74dd4_b
Harrison room diagram 4 2011 2 by ozonerman, on Flickr

Last edited by Robert Harrison on Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Robert Harrison's Tunable System   Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 6:48 pm

Hi Sonic & Robert

I've never really thought about describing electrical out of phase before. I'm probably not the authority on this topic. When I hear something out I just put it back in. Actually I've not heard something out of phase in a while but I do know that when you have a vocal in the center of the stage and you put it out the vocal will split and go into the speakers or beyond. Like I said though out of phase is not something I have studied enough to give you a detailed description of. I've never put something out of phase to listen to it.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Robert Harrison's Tunable System   Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 6:58 pm

Hi Robert

If you have troubles with the photos posting send them to info@michaelgreenaudio.com and we will post them.
Back to top Go down
Robert Harrison

PostSubject: Re: Robert Harrison's Tunable System   Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 7:13 pm

Okay. Yesterday afternoon I put up four RT Squares in anticipation of another listening session after work. And here is the result...

At first, I was grooving on what I call The Re-Mix Effect, thinking, "Gee, this sounds different than before." I put on a self-made compilation of songs as I wanted to hear how the voices imaged. After about 4 songs, it was apparent that the voices were skewing towards the left. I reset the balance control on the pre-amp to the same level for both channels. It still sounded weird, so I decided to put the speakers back to an equidistant position and start up again with the XLO Test CD.

And, my old enemy the right side out-of-phase bias struck again. Further complicating this, every move of the speakers to try to correct this brought about a different result for each track I use on that CD.

Track 2 is a man's voice in phase saying how he should be centered directly between my speakers, tightly in focus. Track 3 the man is out-of-phase, saying his voice should be coming from all around the room and that I should move my speakers incrementally to enhance the effect. His assertion is the less focus I have out-of-phase, the more focus I will have in phase. Track 4 is a handclap. Track 5 is a tone of about 315 hz which was supposed to be used to electrically balance the outputs of your amps with the use of a meter, but I use it to see how the tone balances towards the center.

Well, I may get the out-of-phase pretty well distributed, but then either a) the in phase voice is left of center, b) the handclap is off center, sometimes right, sometimes left or c) the tone is distorted and slightly diffuse as well as off center.

I'm thinking I could achieve my goals if they all matched the way I want them to, with all in phase information being dead center and the out-of-phase being diffuse. This is why I keep going on about the mono out-of-phase response. BUT, is this a good tool or is it a crutch? As listening to out-of-phase mono never occurred to Mr. Green, is this a useless exercise? How does he get 35 foot wide crickets on "Abbey Road?" If I wasn't bald, I would be tearing my hair out! Laughing

Getting back down to earth, I did the best I could and then brought in 2 more RT Squares and put them up beside the speakers. For some reason, I can't let go of my hunch that putting something up beside dipole speakers has some sort of magic. It does make the soundfield swell, although still not outside the walls.

Anyway, as Brigadier Green would say, "WAIT FOR IT!" No, I haven't forgot about settling. For at least the next week, I'm not changing anything or adding the 2 other RT Squares at my disposal. I'm just gonna listen.

Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 5641791168_c57f997ae7_z
front left quandrant by ozonerman, on Flickr
Here is the front left quandrant of my room. You see an RT Square in the upper front corner and another on the wall by the left channel speaker. I still have a pressure box in that front left corner. Does anybody in TuneLand still use these?

Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 5641791174_fc6c788533_z
front right quandrant by ozonerman, on Flickr
Here is the front right quandrant. That sub is still not being used, by the way, as I want to get the other things figured out first. You see another RT Square in the upper corner. Also visible is the window bay covered by vertical blinds and that part of the ceiling which drops down near room center. The RT Square on the wall by the right channel speaker is just out of frame.

Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 5641791186_17f7e1463e_z
front center by ozonerman, on Flickr
Here is my unconventional arrangement of having the TV stand sitting in front of the entertainment center, the latter of which is full of components, DVDs and figurines. I sometimes wonder if the curved glass door on the TV stand could be causing some problems? Maybe one day I will take it off and hear what changes.

Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 5641791192_b062554356_z
listening chair by ozonerman, on Flickr
Here is my beat up old low back listening chair. Behind it is a panel consisting of 2 shelves stacked side by side. Behind the panel is square table with a lamp. The poster cases on the wall preclude using most sizes of tuning devices, although if I eliminated that smaller one in the middle with Mickey Mouse, I could put something on the wall there. Maybe another RT Square? Hmmm....

Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 5641346135_fc6ca44845_z
panel behind listening chair by ozonerman, on Flickr
Another look at the panel behind the listening chair, as well the Godzilla figurine and my dormant digital delay box sitting on the lamp table.

Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 5641791176_d0de65f91c_z
rear left quandrant by ozonerman, on Flickr
Here is the rear left quandrant. I always have a bunch of junk on that recliner next to the left wall, so excuse that please. However, the collage of movie graphics is intentional. I taped a bunch of these mylar pieces together to drape over the 2 recliners to cut down on their burn effect on the room. I'm not sure it comes through, but you may be able to make out the double corners and the sliding doors which make up part of the left wall.

Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 5641791180_1fbb3587b0_z
rear right quandrant by ozonerman, on Flickr
No, there wasn't an earthqauke when I took this one. Blame either an inexperienced camera operator or a cheap camera, or both. This double corner was necessary because the water main comes into the house here and the carpenter decided to make this area into a closet with an access door. Later, the same carpenter built a near identical double corner on the other side, but with no door. The sliding doors were his idea, also, to save me some moolah as I had wanted to build a solid wall to finish the half wall that was already there. Originally, the left back half of my media room opened out into the rest of the basement.

Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 5641794938_2e4cb94587_z
rear right RoomTune Square by ozonerman, on Flickr
That door is another bane to using tuning devices because I need to be able to get in there occasionally. Hence my putting the RT Square facing the room's width instead of length.

Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 5641794936_d50f98ea2a_z
rear left RoomTune Square by ozonerman, on Flickr
This is the RT Square on the rear left corner. This one I could have put facing the room's length, but I put it as it is to match the opposite one.

Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 5641794948_942515a3f9_z
speaker on inverted bench by ozonerman, on Flickr
I still have my speakers sitting on these inverted wooden benches. I haven't tried spikes under the bench because it makes it hard to move the speakers. Hey, Mr. Green, can you invent spikes with teeny tiny rollers on the bottom? Laughing

Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 5641346133_d899f46832_z
shims under sliding doors by ozonerman, on Flickr
And we end our tour with one of the first things Mr. Green instructed me to do: put shims under the sliding doors, something of which I believe Sonic tried recently. One door is fixed, the other 3 move. For the door I use for room access, I have a tapered doorstop for easy removal.

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Robert Harrison's Tunable System   Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 8:54 pm

Hi Robert

This helps me dramatically. Lets take an acoustical field trip.

The best you can, describe the sound of your room when you are standing up at your listening chair then sitting down. Don't use music but talk. Listen to what your voice does. What do you hear?

Walk to the back of your room (where the lamp is) and do the same thing. Remember to stand up and go lower like the height when you were sitting down. What do you hear?

Do the same thing just in front of the entertainment shelving. Be sure to turn 360 as you do this so you can hear what the walls are doing and the middle of the room is doing. What do you hear?

Now each corner. Stand about 1' from the corner and talk to it. Look down and talk, look up and talk. What do you hear?

Do the same on the side walls, 2' in front of the speakers and 2' behind them.

Go to the loudest part of your house and talk. It may take you several minutes or so but see if you have an area in your house (bathroom, living room where ever) that sounds loud and makes your voice sound it's best. Deep rich and extended like your speaking from your chest and not your nose or head alone. Compare this area to your listening room and tell me the difference.

Some day I will tell you more about test CDs.
Back to top Go down
Robert Harrison

PostSubject: Re: Robert Harrison's Tunable System   Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 9:36 pm

Hey, Mr. Green,

I will take my acoustical field trip soon. In the meantime, it's been about a year since I voracioulsy read through the Tuneland Archives, so I'm taking another look to absorb the wisdom there that I have either forgotten or ignored. Here is something I wanted to put here as a reminder to myself...

This is another clue that your system is out of balance...You must combine the 3 parts to the audio trilogy...When you try to separate acoustical, mechanical, and electrical into different parts not reliant on each other you can get lost in finding the answers to good sound very quickly. I've said this a million times, "take your eyes off of the individual parts, and focus on the whole." If you don't you will never hear the whole picture.

I haven't done anything on the electrical or mechanical end since early last summer. I have been concentrating exclusively on the acoustic part. I have made great inroads in sound quality, but I do keep hitting the same roadblocks. This must indicate that I need to remember The Audio Trilogy.

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Robert Harrison's Tunable System   Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 10:56 am

Hi Robert

I see your speaker cable runs are quite long. How long do you really need? I'm thinking Type 2 will be the cable to go with but you might want to ask Sonic if this is what he uses.
Back to top Go down
Robert Harrison

PostSubject: Re: Robert Harrison's Tunable System   Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 11:32 am

Hey, Mr. Green,

The only reason the speaker cable is so long is because it was leftover from my multi-channel days. Originally these were going out to the back of the room to the surround speakers, when I had them. The cables which fed the main speakers (the only speakers now) were thicker, so I removed them and used the smaller gauge. I have them draped on the wall to take up the slack and get them off the floor.

I reckon I need at least 12 feet of speaker cable. The mono amps are placed so they are one on each side of the entertainment center, on one of the lowest shelves.

Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 5653550155_59153f7f10_z
entertainment center with components by ozonerman, on Flickr
NOTE: I made this graphic a year ago. The Parasound pre-amp has been replaced with a Marantz AV-600. Also, the Monster power strip is still in use, but the player, pre-amps and amps are now plugged into a smaller power strip with loosened screws.

Right now, the Magnapans are at room center, which is about 10 feet from the front wall. I assume I would be putting your speakers near the same area, but I may need more footage to accommodate the cables going across the cable grounds and then back up to the speakers on the stands and platforms.
Back to top Go down
Robert Harrison

PostSubject: Re: Robert Harrison's Tunable System   Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 4:50 am

Hey, Mr. Green,

It looks like the only chest tones I pick up on are when I am sitting. Once I stand up, they disappear (though there is more slight echo or room sound) and can't be found anywhere else in the room, not like you describe, anyway.

By the lamp table, up or down, less room sound than standing at the chair.

Standing in front of the TV, facing the entertainment center, is deader than when I turn to either corner, where I can hear my voice bounce between the connecting walls. The bounce lessens as I turn directly toward the right wall, lessens more as I turn toward the rear and the left wall is brighter than the right wall.

Standing one foot from the left front corner no change from top to bottom. One foot from right front corner exhibits a slight echo when facing down but closes in when looking up at the RT Square. The sound is also "darker" in this corner.

Two feet in front of the right speaker, talking towards the wall, I hear more room sound than same distance in front of the left speaker which sounds darker. Two feet in back of the right speaker, again less room sound than same distance from left speaker, which is still darker and I also hear the echo slapping back from the right wall. These are the results of my acoustical field trip using only my voice.

Now on to a question. As these are dipole speakers, I of course hear a diffuse null when standing between them. But, let's say I'm playing a mono soundtrack to an old TV show. If I stand a foot or so in front of the plane of the speakers, I hear diffuse sound splay all over the rear of the room. Same thing in the front. That would have to kill any chance of a stable sound field, wouldn't it? In other words, shouldn't I hear a mono soundtrack reproduced from a spot between the speakers? Otherwise, I'm assuming my stereo sound field wouldn't image as you say it should when walking around the room.
Back to top Go down
Robert Harrison

PostSubject: Re: Robert Harrison's Tunable System   Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 7:10 pm

Here are diagrams of 3 of my walls. The front wall is one solid piece, but the other three are the ones that present the challenge.

Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 5669893540_dea171dcfb_z
left wall by ozonerman, on Flickr

Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 5669893546_12ae17ed17_z
right wall by ozonerman, on Flickr

Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 5676338793_e515fcb565_z
rear wall by ozonerman, on Flickr

NOTE TO MR. GREEN: I just realized that the previous measurements for the rear wall were way off. This current graphic shows the correct measurements.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Robert Harrison's Tunable System   Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 4:21 pm

Hi Robert

These are very helpful and I'm glad you have your thinking cap on. Sometimes heading from a normal setup to a super system setup is closer than you think. I have my thinking cap on right along with you and am seeing things that I will email you about on a bigger scale then as we head in a direction put these excepted ideas on you thread.

But, here's the great thing you are really starting to think the tune through and that's the first major big step. Once you hear where your decisions make a bigger impact than you originally thought the next steps become easier to tackle.

Keep looking at that entertainment center and then look at the lack of them in tunee's places.

I'll tell you what I see, the entertainment system gone and Decotunes in.
Back to top Go down
Robert Harrison

PostSubject: Re: Robert Harrison's Tunable System   Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 5:08 am

Hey, everyone in TuneLand,

It's time for BEFORE AND AFTER:

Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 5641791186_17f7e1463e_z
front center by ozonerman, on Flickr
Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 5686664936_6971f97c53_z
front wall without entertainment center by ozonerman, on Flickr
So, here's what the front of the room looks like without that massive entertainment center.

Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 5641346135_fc6ca44845_z
panel behind listening chair by ozonerman, on Flickr
Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 5686664944_33b84a6c35_z
back wall without lamp stand by ozonerman, on Flickr
And here is what that back wall cove looks like without the lamp stand.

Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 5686664940_b18561a001_z
cart behind TV stand by ozonerman, on Flickr
This cart now resides directly behind the TV stand (not visible from the other picture). I have the mono amps on the bottom 2 shelves. The desk lamp on top is a bias light. For those not familiar with the concept, a bias light cuts down on the eye strain caused by watching a TV in a totally dark room; when scenes shift from dark to brightly lit, having some light behind the TV helps to lessen the amount your eye's iris widens and shrinks. Previously this bias light sat on the floor between the TV stand and entertainment center, reflecting up on the latter. This actually works better, having the light splash on the wall. The Blu-ray/DVD/CD player and pre-amp are now located on the 2 shelves under the TV.

My first impression of the sound quality now is that nothing deleterious happened, i.e. a big echo resulting. As for positives, I will have to allow some settling time. Then, it's on to deciding if I need to move anything else. I don't intend to take anything else out of this room, but moving around the items remaining is a viable option now and easier to accomplish.

Stay tuned...
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Robert Harrison's Tunable System   Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 2:17 pm

Robert

I am so excited and so proud of you. Time to get you some DecoTune, Type 2 speaker cable, Cable Grounds, MGA Cones and Harmonic Springs.

Q) Have you put up all the Squares? One in the middle on the front wall at the top? One in the same place in the back?

sunny
Back to top Go down
Robert Harrison

PostSubject: Re: Robert Harrison's Tunable System   Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 2:53 pm

Hey, Mr. Green,

I took the 2 RT Squares that were flanking the speakers and put them in the rear wall "cove" corners last week, slightly overlapping the top of the posters. That makes 4 RT Squares total in the back of the room (the other 2 not visible in this pic). Perhaps I should just put one over Mickey Mouse instead, or just get rid of Mickey completely? There is no glass or plastic, by the way, over the posters or Mickey.
Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 5688013758_99479e903d_z
back wall with 2 RT Squares added by ozonerman, on Flickr

Tonight, after work, I will put one on the front wall center. Do you have a suggestion as to where to put the remaining 2 RT Squares?

Robert
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Robert Harrison's Tunable System   Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Robert Harrison's Tunable System
Page 2 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next