Michael Green Audio Forum

https://tuneland.forumotion.com

Our Website  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Michael's System

Go down 
+27
Sonic.beaver
hcooper99
ChrisS
JC Carter lll
allboutdasound
jarret jonson
rodneyJ
mostly classics
lefthanded
David Harper
Drewster
tjbhuler
Obb
rotelguy
Hiend001
sails
MGA
tmsorosk
Toledo
garp
tune trainee
Michael Green
Robert Harrison
kimA
jimmyblue
yikes
Bill333
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 33 ... 44  Next
AuthorMessage
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

Michael's System - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 21, 2014 2:32 am

Jacky Terrasson is not just great, but knows how to surround the jazz singer with a flavor and attitude that suits them best. Here's a good example of this with Cassandra Wilson.

Michael's System - Page 23 M493
Back to top Go down
tmsorosk

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 21, 2014 12:25 pm

Michael Green wrote:
Women's jazz voices. Right away I have the attention of everyone study .

I love hearing the shape and tonal movement that a good woman jazz singing can do. Sending it down into here chest and different parts of the throat and the way they can use the tonal structure of her face. Dee Dee does this extremely well and I'm glued to her slower songs like a dentist, and her faster songs well simply on for the ride.

Michael's System - Page 23 M492

one of the greats Exclamation

Agreed. Female vocals whether JAZZ or other done right always grab my focus.

Eva Cassidy
Madeleine Peyroux
Melody Gardot
Emmylou Harris
Aimee Mann
Holly Cole
Pat Barber
Shelby Lynne

Just to name a few are some that demand my attention and hold it.

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 21, 2014 5:06 pm

Hi Tim

Great list!

And if I can also add, female voices tell us a lot about our systems. They have a very unique tonal quality if I may call them an instrument. A range similar to many instruments yet a completely different set of textures. A great topic all on it's own.

Cool
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 21, 2014 6:53 pm

I was a little shocked switching soundstages just now. So fun to get use to one stage and then putting on another recording style and pow, a completely different style of stage.

A more produced stage but one that went front to back immediately

Michael's System - Page 23 M494

makes me wonder why some audiophiles have a hard time with stages. I think it would drive me crazy if I was not thrown in the room with the recording.
Back to top Go down
tmsorosk

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 21, 2014 10:05 pm

Michael Green wrote:
Hi Tim

Great list!

And if I can also add, female voices tell us a lot about our systems. They have a very unique tonal quality if I may call them an instrument. A range similar to many instruments yet a completely different set of textures. A great topic all on it's own.

Cool

Different textures for sure but if I may be so bold as to mention how many octaves the human voice encompasses. Tells me a lot about a system or component or room.

Having had an exwife, I can tell the mood and state of mind Aimee Mann is in by the sibilance, dynamic range and pitch of her larynx. lol

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 23 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 7:01 pm

i've moved on to another smooth groove

Michael's System - Page 23 M496
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 23 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 1:01 am

What a week so far Cool

Harold arrives tomorrow and that means "playtime" I can hardly wait to inspect the new product and get caught up on orders.

We're just about the share some exciting things but as you know I keep some of the experiments under wraps until I do enough testing. But they start with a S and ends with a S. I said they so that means more than one. I know I'm too easy Laughing

I saw the heat treated speakers the other day and was pretty amazed. I'm not saying they will be ready soon but seeing and tapping on them was a lot of fun. It worked pretty well on the brazilian pine. What I do is my usual dry cure, but at the end, we have the wood heated (burnt), which sucks the rest of the moisture to the surface. The look I have to say is like no other speakers I have ever seen. Well see if we can take some rough pics.

Smile
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 23 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 10:49 pm

Somebody is inspired king "people get ready" the Blind Boys of Alabama have arrived.

Michael's System - Page 23 M498

If you do not know them, if you do not have them, it is very possible you are heading toward the lake of fire, but I have a cure. Pick up "higher ground" and find salvation Exclamation  This recording has me dancing in the halls. What a blend of songs, and what a blend of voices. I did not know, or I overlooked the Blind Boys before today. Talk about being blind, how have I lived this long without this recording being in my collection. Is this my find of the year? Right up there for sure.

Harold was looking through the recent collection I had sent to me, saw this and said "with a name like that, these guys have got to be good". After the first minute we were looking at each other going holy smokes, I made it to the chair first Smile

Cool
Back to top Go down
hcooper99

hcooper99

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2014 3:20 pm

Hi,

Harold at Michael's - listening to "I Shall Not Walk Alone" on this album presented the largest piano I have ever heard! It filled and even went a bit outside the width of the room, and you could hear everything from the strike of the keys to the sound board to the note ringing out. Quite a trip!

If you have any like for gospel or the Classic Fairfield Four, you need this album!

Coop
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2014 6:40 pm

The Coop show has put on Michelle Shocked for our listening enjoyment Tunees Exclamation

Michael's System - Page 23 M501
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 23 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2014 12:26 am

Hi Guys

Starting to post on the new speaker line.

https://tuneland.forumotion.com/t259-designing-for-excellence-the-mandolin

enjoy

can you believe we're finally going to production Very Happy

thank you thank you thank you Harold Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 23 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2014 4:43 pm

Well the Mandolins are in my room, and inside of their first day I'm thinking maybe they should have been call Grand Piano because they are not small sounding.

There are a few things that need to be decided on, but general design is sound and a good starting place for the final lap. I'll get batteries for my camera and give a pictoral.

The Viola (below) is also approaching the final stages.

Michael's System - Page 23 M507

We're playing with different wood combos, and narrowing it down to our favorites. What your looking at is a Music Ply Birch with Alder seams. We're doing this and a hybrid. The hybrid has the top, mid and bass plate in hardwood, the front back and sides Music Ply, and tuning bar in a special Hard Maple we found. I usually don't use Mable but this find and treatment has fantasic transfer. I'm listening to it inside of the Brazilian Pine Mandolins in my room now.

This is a step toward speakers being musical instruments that is so full of tone that I have to get my ears around a whole new set of boundaries, or should I say lack of. The instruments become so real that I'm seeing inner harmonics that don't relate to what speakers do. I'm reaching yet another level of mid harmonics that make the girth of the instruments playing take on their own bodies and thickness within their own level of richness. Over the next month or two, I hope to be taken to a place I haven't, or at least haven't in a production way.

very fun times Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 23 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2014 8:39 pm

in the breaking in of the "mandolin" speakers I'm just getting to the point where I can do my regular reviewing of recordings.

The Neville Brothers are far more than the pop Aaron hits, which are pretty darn good on their own. One of the favs in Neville cd's is "Yellow Moon".

Michael's System - Page 23 M508

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2014 6:18 pm

They called them New Wave, they called them "Pop", I didn't buy that and called them straight up "Rock & Roll". On a system that doesn't do "The Cars" justice I can see where someone would call the debut Pop, but if you have a rockin system The Cars smash every bit of power rock.

Michael's System - Page 23 M521
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2014 7:42 pm

Take it easy mg Laughing You would think that I would be playing everything simple with the new speakers, thought it was 4 days old but it's only three. Hmmm, but for the last day they have been screaming "girth". Nuts right? You take a new speaker and go from "selling england" to "the cars" to Joe Walsh "look what I did" disc#1, but it seems that's what the doctor has ordered so far.

Michael's System - Page 23 M522

Bass & kick drums on the James Gang cuts are slammin, like someone was hitting me in the chest with the kick. I did a little block tuning on the player and the speakers followed right along.

I don't like anything in only three days, so I refuse to say I like these Laughing well... Smile we'll see.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 23 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 12:10 am

Had to unplug things for 3 days to do some voicing, about killed me Laughing I didn't have the other systems going and the silence was like prison affraid
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 23 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 7:13 pm

The Mandolins have moved on to

Michael's System - Page 23 M525

And next onto some jazz and classical.

It's interesting and fun to design speakers for me, cause there's no guideline to follow when you do speakers from the cabinet to the parts, instead of the parts to the cabinet. Normally a designer is thinking about the drivers and crossover point, whereas I'm thinking about the tonality of the whole. It for me has not to do with the tested specs as much as the natural resonant tone that happens when drivers meet wood meets space. I spend my time working on the blend between the parts involved. This means goodbye scopes and hello ears.

Since I only use a cap and a resistor it requires a lot of listening and knowing the other parts of the system as well as the speakers.

Michael's System - Page 23 M526

At this point in the build I'm paying close attention to how much I want the tweeter in the game. I believe in allowing the woofer do as much as it possibly can and letting the cabinet be a natural roll off, so I don't like chokes in my design. What I have found in doing this is that the woofer if not damped will extend in range in both directions. Back in the day of the Chameleon I thought differently, but this was before I took a listen to what parts do, and what parts are needed and should be used for.

The D-27 goes down to 700hz but do I want the tweeter to be in that very important range? So what I do is start lower then begin to raise that cap till I heard the blend happen. Then I find the right attenuation. Letting the cabinet do the work I have found brings me much closer to the musical fundamentals and harmonics.

With this design philosophy one of the first things noticed is the dynamic range increase. Second is the tonal development of the space and instruments. When the balanced is acheived in the speaker this is when I know it will work the next phase of amplification, and the most important phase, the room.

I do believe in flavors, and feel that the speaker should have them, much like an acoustical instrument, but I also believe that this should happen as natural as possible.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 23 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 9:13 pm

Well, I thought I was going to move on Laughing . The mandolin is handling "a night at the opera" so well, I'm not moving on just yet. First I heard it on the left side, the cap opened up, or maybe the tweeter then about 20 minutes later the right side opened up, a cool experience.

Now the tops of the drum skins are worth another listen through, or 5 Smile
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 23 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2014 12:11 am

That was pretty nice and made me want to hear some string girth. On goes

Michael's System - Page 23 M527
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 23 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2014 4:42 pm

Beethoven has really come to life Exclamation

I'm familar with Louis Lane as he is one of the two main conductors of the atlanta symphony when I was there.

This morning I tried to match the volume of the recording to what I was use to when I would get a chance to come down front about 8 rows back or just behind the first aisle. The Mandolins nailed it and gave a true tonal representation of the girth and body of each instrument. Organic is the word that comes to mind. Have I reached another level in my designing? I think if I'm able to continue in this direction the answer is yes.

I hope I get to listen to the hybrid speakers as well soon. Tapping on them in the woodshop was pretty exciting. Having the 3 models in my place is going to be like christmas X 3 for this boy.

Cool
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 23 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2014 7:49 pm

Yes, I have been in the listening room with the Mandolin Cool

My dry climate has opened up doors for me that continue to take me by surprise while designing. I have been anti-crossover parts for a period now going back over 20 years of removing parts, however when I am in design mode it makes me sit up and take notice of what each of these parts do to the sound.

First I have to think about the testing of drivers in a sterile environment vs being in a cabinet and room that sets them free. These are two completely different set of guidelines. Next, what really happens to that driver (tweeter or woofer) once we add electronic parts to the mix. Thank goodness there are a few simple drivers being produced cause the thought of trying to do what I am with the modern difficult drivers makes my head (ears) spin.

How could any designer miss the obvious, let alone an entire industry? And, my thinking is also telling me why are these people messing with "slopes"? Again obviously if you have a cabinet that is choking the driver you are going to get distortion at the extremes of their movement, but why? The answer is found in the acoustical instrument. Designed correctly there isn't distortion at the end of the response or so little that in fades into a slight pitch raise or dip at the end. But this only happens (with a good design) until the next motion (movement of note creation) is made. I'm hearing the exact same reaction with the designing going on here. At the end of the day these drivers are going to stimulate the pressure. Their going to say what they want to no matter what they are being told, and frequency response is only that (a measured volume response). It isn't the "sound", and only tells part of the story. Tonality and textures are a totally different animal. Their the part of these pressure makers that make the sound pretty to listen to or un-natural.

more coming up, got to fill my ears

Last edited by Michael Green on Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Toledo

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 23 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2014 11:00 pm

It always nice to come back to the common sense approach to distortion as opposed to the traditional audiophile notion of distortion found on other forums.

Some hobbyists can not get past the hunkered down understanding of how their systems are only playing a part of the signal.

Oh well ... The mandolins 'sound' quite savory Wink

What a great name .. The name invokes such sonic imagery.

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 23 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2014 7:38 pm

I know, I know, my pictures will make anything look ugly but these actually are quite beautiful, just a little banged up by the guy doing all these voicing things to them Laughing

thought I would take some quick pics while the paper tweeters are in them

Michael's System - Page 23 M528

If you look at the last pic you can get a little taste of the color flavor of the wood, not quite black, more of a deep varying mix of black and honey brown depending on the lighting. Sorry about all the fingerprints, these poor things have been extremely tortured. affraid

Tonight I'm listening to the Mandolins with only a cap, hello, only a cap Smile
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 23 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2014 6:06 am

This evening and morning have been piano time on the Mandolin speakers.

Michael's System - Page 23 M529

here's a review

"Review

A few years ago, I went down to the Village Vanguard to check out pianist Fred Hersch. Sitting next to me in the crowded club was one of today's most popular jazz singers - also a pianist. After the first set, said jazz celeb commented that Hersch was in a different league and that she really needed to take some lessons from him. What strikes us all in Hersch's playing is his perfect blend of technique, style, and sensitivity. His version of Billy Strayhorn's "Daydream," from Hersch's 1996 Strayhorn-tribute album, Passion Flower, illustrates just how good a trio and string orchestra (arranged and orchestrated by Hersch and conducted by Eric Stern) can sound. A lot of players (and arrangers) could use lessons from Hersch.
--- JAZZIZ Magazine Copyright © 2000, Milor Entertainment, Inc. -- From Jazziz"

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 23 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2014 8:36 pm

In his CD Works For Me, guitarist John Scofield returns to the jazz heartland, focusing on straight-ahead, four-to-the-bar swing in the company of Kenny Garrett, Brad Mehldau, Christian McBride and Billy Higgins--all masters of their respective trades. Scofield, one of the most distinctive and influential jazz guitarists since John McLaughlin, has always had a penchant for word-play titles (most of them in fact devised by his wife) and "Works For Me" is very probably a coded reference to the fact that in this album he favours the music closest to his heart. It's not all heads-down bebop though: there are chastened ballads and episodes of the funk vamping which has become Scofield's latterday signature; however, on this occasion even potentially banal riffing is spiced with harmonic surprise and enlivened by Sco's distinguished rhythm section. Scofield the instrumentalist also seems to enjoy a renascence, stepping up to creative levels he hasn't always reached in recent years. Such early triumphs as Rough House, Who's Who and Still Warm are run close, if not entirely recaptured. --Mark Gilbert

During his illustrious career, John Scofield has cleverly kept abreast of trends, lending his serpentine blues-'n'-jazz riffs to volcanic fusion blowouts, grits and gravy funk, even whisper-soft big-band projects. His chameleon approach has shone on such albums as Bump, his seminal fusion recordings Still Warm and Blue Matter, and his bop band workouts with Joe Lovano and Bill Stewart.

At his core, Sco is a jazz master, and we long to hear him interact with other giants of the genre. Works for Me answers this expectation generously. What's so compelling about hearing Sco with Billy Higgins, Kenny Garrett, Brad Mehldau, and Christian McBride is the accumulation of the fiery solos each man plays and the mood of each collective note. Higgins is the balloon the band rides here, and Mehldau has never sounded better. Garrett's dense logic is the perfect foil for Sco's charred leads; the intimately crafted songs find each man going deep with each improv. The band's overall crystalline perfection is so relaxing that it's almost mystical. And for all that, they trade fours and eights, a rarity in the pressured world of studio recording. This is an exceptional album that tells its tales with great depth, detail, color, humor, and passion. --Ken Micallef

And now mg's review

Michael's System - Page 23 M530

Modern Jazz is really not modern without a few names, John Scofield is one of them. This recording in particular is so well blended if you didn't know who John was you could guess he was a sax, bass, or drum player the way each instrument is featured and each playing off of the others with equal respect. This to me is a sign of truly great composition, especially in Jazz. The dynamics of this recording moves you from place to place and instrument to instrument as if you were having the perfect conversation where no one is talking over anyone else to be heard. It's like looking at a Picasso, "which part will I take in" knowing it isn't going anywhere and there's plenty of time before the gallery closes.

John has given us so much, and this is one of his finest moments as Jazz player/director.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 23 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Michael's System
Page 22 of 44Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 33 ... 44  Next