Michael Green Audio Forum

http://tuneland.forumotion.com

Our Website  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Michael's System

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 36 ... 42  Next
AuthorMessage
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

Michael's System - Page 30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 30 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 9:14 am

And the jamming continues with....

Michael's System - Page 30 M1262

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 30 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2015 4:56 am

now up

Michael's System - Page 30 M1265

remastered version

"Rarely can a band make a consistent, solid album purely out of unreleased material, rarities, outtakes, and all the other names for such precious finds, and this vastly expanded edition of "Odds and Sods" solidifies that ability. This album was originally recorded to curve the bootlegging process going on at the time, not only because The Who didn't make money off bootlegs (that may have been the record company's motivation though), but also because the group wanted fans to have more listenable versions; the late bassist John Entwistle said, "They release really bad bootlegs of these songs all the time...they're really bad quality...We thought it was about time we released a bootleg of our own."

It's a true blessing that "Odds and Sods" is so highly recognized and appreciated as a solid effort, because many of these songs rank among some of Pete Townshend's most articulate songwriting and The Who's best performances in the studio. And we all know the fate of unreleased songs that are released here and there over time, popping up on random "best of" compilations; they become lost in time and labeled as empty-hearted gestures to get people to buy those greatest hits albums. Indeed, some of these songs, some in different versions, later appeared as bonus tracks on the remastered editions of The Who's classic albums (the best studio version of 'Pure and Easy' appeared on the reissue of "Who's Next" for example). But gathered together and focused on as "Odds and Sods," listeners can hear some glorious Who moments, packaged as one sturdy album.

The collection also does much to further prove the already well-established fact that The Who were major contributors in bridging 60s rock-pop to the more progressive harder rock of the 70s. For example there are tracks like the enjoyable naive quality of `I'm the Face' (a song recorded when The Who were known as The High Numbers), the poppy humor of `Little Billy,' the odd story of `Mary Anne With the Shaky Hand' (a different version than the one that originally appeared on "The Who Sell Out") and covers of the likes of `Summertime Blues,' `Leaving Here' and the cheeky `My Way.' But there are also more intricate, personal songs like `We Close Tonight' (based on one of Townshend's schooldays relationships), and `Too Much of Anything' as well as compositions that are self-mocking autobiographies of The Who such as the ego-deflating `Faith in Something Bigger,' and the look at exhaustive touring `Postcard.' And to further round out the progression of this great band's music, there are several tracks that came from The Who's innovation in "rock operas"; `Glow Girl' and `Cousin Kevin Model Child' were early ideas for "Tommy," one of the very first rock operas, and important elements from the infamous, aborted "Lifehouse" album/film such as `Time is Passing,' `Put the Money Down' and most notably `Pure and Easy,' the "Odds and Sods" track that everyone remembers, demonstrating The Who's desire to shed as much light on this unreleased material as that of their most memorable and well-known work."

Michael's System - Page 30 M1267

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 30 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 8:49 am

This particular greatest hits by Tim reminds me of the soft pop/rock/folk blends of the later 60's-mid 70's. Then, on to Hicksville Cool

Michael's System - Page 30 M1269

Back to top Go down
rotelguy

rotelguy

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 30 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2015 2:12 am

We've been SAM'd affraid MG called it.

Thank you Mr Green Exclamation I'm not sure we know what to say. Driving home we kept looking at each other in disbelief. Was it the SAM wall, or the Violas or the Superphon and Luxman? Whatever it was it wasn't listening to a stereo. It was walking into the studio with Led Zeppelin. We will be talking about this for a long time. Still tingling Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 30 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2015 2:08 pm

Hi Jim

That's pretty funny Exclamation I was thinking it was so/so but went back down to hear what you were, yep that's a pretty big stage Smile  Oh and sorry for the lack of seating. Since it's just me here I don't do the sofa or loveseat thing, maybe I should down there though. A leather sofa might work pretty good there now that I think about it. Don't really like the sound of sofas, but tuning around one might be kinda cool in one room. Hmmm Idea hope you liked the bass Smile . 6.5" woofer can you believe that Laughing The Violas love the SAM Wall. I must have gained 3 or 4 notes after I put it in.

Would love to hear more comments once you get a chance to think about it. Oh BTW that's where my Audolici is going (I think).

thanks, glad you guys enjoyed Cool  I never know what someone is thinking cause when I'm in design or learning mode I go all over the place with what I'm listening for.

per your request I whipped up a pic of my writing room

Michael's System - Page 30 M1278

You made a good point about me sharing more about how I go through my listening proccess. I don't think about it cause I stay in my little zone and probably forget to share a ton of stuff. To me it's automatic, but this year I'm trying to get back in the big picture mode thanks to Coop and you the Tunees. Harold's a life saver Very Happy So hard to do stuff when spread too thin.

stay tuned!

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 30 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2015 5:55 pm

Today I'm listening to

Michael's System - Page 30 M1279

on the system in RM#3 (downstairs)

Back to top Go down
rotelguy

rotelguy

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 30 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2015 2:38 pm

Thanks Michael for posting the writing room but I was also thinking you might explain all the speakers you have surrounded yourself with. We were surprised to see so many at your place. Another thing I saw was dome, paper, ribbon and horn tweeters. What's the difference? Last but not least, many different types of wood. How do these fit into your designs?

Am I asking too much affraid
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 30 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2015 8:08 pm

Not at all Very Happy

I've been enjoying coming out of one of the listening rooms and seeing the emails & posts. Posts more cause I don't have to go looking and I can follow a thread, and there has been some exciting thread activity Exclamation

Wish everyone would post, but hey I wouldn't have anytime to listen than Shocked

The speakers? Laughing

Well it doesn't take much of a look around here to see that I am an obsessed designer. I have Amplifiers takin apart all over the place here now, about 15 or more CDP's and all those speakers, ours and other companies. It's like this. I'm listening for music that I might be missing somewhere somehow. Thanks to Coop I'm able to have one of those magical designer sessions that comes along only a few times at best in a designers lifetime. I'm not sure if any audio designers to be honest live in this pursuit. Maybe a pursuit, but not this pursuit. 11 pair of speakers I count, 14 amplifiers, 1 pre-amp, 17 CDP's, 2 tape decks, 2 tuners, 1 subwoofer, and a ton of goodies.

Point is, I'm listening to all of you, and you are helping me re-shape the future, or as much of it as I can get my ears on. Even those who have taste or suggestions outside of my basics. I'm listening, renting and purchasing so I can hear what you are.

For example:

Many may not know that recently on the listening list was an Audio Research, Threshold, Classic Marantz, CJ, Arcam, Sumo, Rotel, the Luxman we picked up and a host of other units. We hunt for certain sounds and sounds that are flexible enough to shape however we want. Vintage and brand new are both on the list. All of these units teach me something and likewise everytime I read one of you I learn a little bit more.

I use to think as I would travel around to these different audio companies about how their sounds were similar to a degree. They would have a certain sound that most of you old timers have learned to recognize from brand to brand. I think maybe this is why most of the time you see me picking up simple Japanese, China, that area of production. To some these are considered "cheap" or "un-worthy" brands or designs, but if you went equipment shopping with me, you might have a totally different take by the time you got home. Coop experienced this the last time he and I went shopping.

We didn't do your typical speakers setup and chair inbetween the two. Nope, the people hanging out got to see me choosing equipment the MG way. I started to talk about this somewhere here, but to re-cap. It isn't what the component can do inside of that limited sweet spot that many look for. What I listen for when doing the store demo is what can those electronics do "outside of that sweet spot".

Want to hear a good amp on the quick?

Go to your store and have them hook up amps, and you walk around listening for the amps that break outside the speaker boxes. Don't sit here listening to the mess of a job your friends or stores are doing, that has nothing to do with a good amp. A tunable amp is the one that lets the speaker or speakers break free from their cabinet or panel. Go do it some time. Go to the store and tell the salesman to place the speakers apart maybe 6 feet. Then have them start to put on amps to play for you cold start up to about 10 minutes in playing. You will be surprised at how many amps are not able to break out of the speaker as you walk around. Now put on your basic receiver or integrated designed and built from one of the mass production countries and do the same test. Don't put on the ones that have all those jacks in the back, go with the simplist models.

Very Happy Surprise Exclamation

I'm not saying this is 100%, I'm just saying for my world, this is a big factor.

try it and let me know what you think

That's why I have all those products available to me. It's also why I cut so much slack for the entry level of lines. I think there are many many great products out there, I just don't think they are limited to cost. The other factor for me is this. I'm not a only sweet spot listener. It's my favorite when staying put, but I also like to walk around while listening, and if that music goes out of pitch when I walk by that raises a red flag for me.

Back to top Go down
rotelguy

rotelguy

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 30 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2015 6:18 pm

Mr. Green

How do you like this weather? What do you do with all the wood and cable?
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 30 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2015 10:43 pm

Hi Jim

When I start to experience the weather change taking place I go into stable mode and don't go too far to the left or right as far as curing or even listening. I realize the change but don't try to react to something that is in time going to make it's way back to it's average.

I'm pretty much that way about everything I do. I respect the power of physics and for myself try to let physics be a part of my listening experience. Consistancy to me means more than jumping to action.

In practical sense as well I listen to what others are saying about their sound and am slow to make the jump.

For example, we see here a lot of folks jumping on the out board DAC movement. Not me and I'll tell you why. Black space and variable control.

I don't want to pooh pooh on the others march, but I'm cautious when people talk about clean and quiet. Recordings are not either clean or quiet and a lot of time audiophiles are going after something that is not there and it in the end becomes sterile. Sterile is ok, but I need the grime and dirt of a recording that makes it real. There's that certain bump, body and bloating that belongs to music that I can't give up. That whole hurry up thing doesn't do me. My gutt tells me to enjoy and keep being a part of settling. I personally have no issue with CD's and from what I'm reading no one is passing up the stage that I'm getting with their DAC's so I'm in no hurry to pull the trigger.

When I spot someone on here blowing me away that's when the credit card will come out, or I'll be my tricky self and do it behind the scenes. But stepping from what I have to what I hear being described is not compelling to me enough yet to head in a direction that might not be baked yet.

So weather changes, equipment changes and trends for me mean little if I don't take the time to apply the audio trilogy and apply it with a fullness. With what's going on with TuneLand, I sometimes like to sit back until the rush is over and move in a direction that is more musical, or maybe even more relaxed.

Two days ago I placed 3 pieces of wood into one of my systems, turned the system on, and let it be. Today while listening the sound was so improved that I couldn't imagine listening without this adjustment. I thought where was I only a day ago and how these three pieces of 1/4" instrument wood used in my acoustics changed so much as well gave me ideas about other parts to my setup.

Yes, the day will come when I will move to this wonderful new world, but also the day might come that you see me with a one inch Studer or maybe a ES-1 with Grace Arm, or Tascam R2R. There's something magical in all of this and as our good friend Mr. Bookhard always said "settling is the most important tweak". He wasn't just talking about our audio systems. Jim was talking about a spirit in rest with itself and content with it's place.

So for me, it's not really about all the wonderful things I'm hearing about the latest moves but instead the notes I'm making about what needs to be done. I can't go forward without balance. Hearing a difference I'm all in, hearing glowing raves without being able to respect the differences of the others, makes me move slower.

"let it settle"

just a note: there's a reason why the mainstream of audio is heading back toward integrated amps, moving away from separates

there's a reason why Sonic has an Eq now

many important things going on, including files

lot's going on, on TuneLand, heck Hiend001 just about gave me a heart attack by saying he was putting a screen in his room

so many cool adventures, so much to explore

study Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 30 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2015 4:46 pm

Hi Gang

While doing some computer maintenance, I've taken the time to continue some old & newer adventures. Sorry no, not files (I'll get around to that Smile  ).  I've been re-exploring the power of the RT Pillow.  Some have done this after the suggestion of Kraft Paper, others by doing a double up of pillows. So I took a trip back through my notes and your threads and started to look into my notes on voicing membranes that would be used to cover the Tunes.  

what I saw

In reading what I found was when listeners got to certain levels of listening there might be a step between the Pillow and the PZC design that might be interesting to explore, or should I say expose, because this has been a common practice of mine once I get the burn/barrier in place.

Idea is there more I can do Question

Sometimes the RT Pillows are perfect for the recording, speakers, ears, but sometimes changing the placement slightly or changing the value of burn vs barricade can be a huge recording dependent tweak. Not only recording dependent but mood, condition and taste dependent. Where the PZC has a Tuning Bolt what about the RT Pillow? What do we do when we hear something slightly out of tune but don't want to completely re-do the setup, or maybe we do want to chase something that catches our attention?

I think all of the serious listeners in this hobby are going to get to the level and understanding that a fixed room and components alone are not always going to get the job done, and sooner or later we are going to find recordings that we are going to want to dive deeper into and our fixed settings are not going to take us there.

That's a general statement for on-looking visitors, but even for us. What if we need that little bit of taste or performance and are looking to get it out of our Pillows.

Michael's System - Page 30 M1291

Michael's System - Page 30 M1298

Last edited by Michael Green on Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 30 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 1:10 am

So much fun Very Happy

Man it is so much fun having several rooms to tune. That experience of feeling the power of your listening room has got to be one of the most shocking events. It's shocking for me and I started RoomTune 30 years ago. Well "89" was the factory but a few years before that is when I went crazy on high end systems.

I practiced what I preach earlier. Sitting there I paid very close attention to the stage right where there were several things happening but there was just a sense that the stage had more to offer. I was listening to Paul Simon "still crazy" (my little town), thinking wouldn't it be cool if there was a whole percussion section off to the right. I mean I heard what was going on and it was cool, but for some reason I kept getting pulled. I made an adjustment with a RT XLT above the door. Not even much of a change but all of a sudden it was like Paul said your wish is my command and the whole side dropped over and back and filled up with the section. The horns moved from this flat sound to big and bold and the whole right side came to life from maybe 15 feet back all the way to almost behind my right side. Shocked Why I'm I shocked? I don't know but always am amazed at how much is there waiting for us.

You have a living room and your not tuning it Rolling Eyes Laughing there's so much there and your wasting time getting to it Smile

There is no such thing as a great sounding room that needs no adjusting. Even I, Mr. Tune fall into that trap affraid . I start thinking, boy this is sounding pretty good (giving myself that pat on the back), but this is barely scrathing the surface of what can be done and where a recording can take me if I decide to follow. Sure it's sounding cool, but I'm cursed with the background knowledge of being in, even building these studios, and know there is more on that recording than I will ever find.

Here I sit with a room full of info. It just needs me to find it.

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 30 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2015 12:05 am

Hi Guys

Voicing rm#2 has been a fun trip. My goal is to get some of the hidden treasures found by the time Coop & Drewster get here so they can join me in some of the speaker plate voicing.

As I said in the last couple of posts the pressure zones are fasinating to play with from the view point of one tune infront of another. Takes me back to my earliest tunable test rooms, there's something in every inch.

study

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 30 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2015 12:57 pm

Wow, look at you guys tune Exclamation

Michael's System - Page 30 M1307

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 30 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2015 1:05 am

A few days ago I posted on PZV's. The thought is to have an inbetween from RT Pillows and PZC's. I spend most of my time not taking pictures, because of proto-typing but once in a while I find it important to show a little of the behind the scenes so listeners can see a little into my process of design. So if you guys can stand my poor photography I want to show some of these PZV's in use as well as a 24" x 52" SAM unit.

these are pics from Rm#2

Michael's System - Page 30 M1321

some of the PZV's in use below

Michael's System - Page 30 M1322

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 30 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2015 4:08 pm

Going back to my last post, 2nd pic up from bottom, You will see a RT XLT flat against the wall above the door. On a slant in front of, you can see a marked beatup B-stock Tuning Board. It was marked to use for something else but the more I voiced it the more I liked it's sound, so since it was me Smile it went back into action. You might not be able to see it but it has a useful curve to it. I paned left and right so you can see my progression.

Michael's System - Page 30 M1323

Notice me using the doors.

So to review Room Two, like with the other upstairs rooms they all open into each other and even though I can use them as enclosed areas keeping the open effect in play allows me to listen 24/7 to be able to judge the settling changes as they happen. Doing this has always helped me explore the tune.

The room is wood studs with drywall, raised wood floor and the wood wall behind. The ceiling is wood studs, drywall and textured stuco paint (common to this area). The ceiling isn't a popcorn soft ceiling, but it's not like plaster either. I should also note that a less dramatic version of this paint is used on the walls. Again pretty common for here.

Any more, I very rarely start with a room of furniture and go backward. To find the most energy and how to use it, I go from an empty room forward. I can see people covering their ears already Laughing but I have learned to be a very patient listener in this particular sense. So much easier to put something in a room and listen than to start with furniture in the room and trying to work around it. This might bother some through the process of tuning but in the long run this discipline can serve a student of the tune well.

Back to top Go down
tjbhuler

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 30 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2015 9:02 am

HI Michael,

Mg said :

A few days ago I posted on PZV's. The thought is to have an in between from RT Pillows and PZC's.

Tj :

Would love to hear more on the PZV's, could you please elaborate more on the design Smile . At what situation would you use the PZV's instead of RT pillows Question Is there a PZV- FS which can be used like the PZC-FS Question

Regards

Tj
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 30 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2015 11:36 pm

Hi Tj

The PZV's have been fasinating. To answer the question of FloorStanders, yes. My proto-types are crude, but highly effective. The shop will do better in the looks department but the ones I have done so far for me are a better version of the old SAM Walls. I find these units pretty flexible as you can add or take away from the burn on the back (pretty cool).

I'm about to place 2 of them in room 1, and you saw the wider one in room 2. When I put the one in rm 2 flanked by the RTD2's the stage went several layers deeper.

Now the hanging and wall mounted ones have been giving me loads of flavoring choices along with varying control.

Back to top Go down
tjbhuler

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 30 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2015 12:30 am

Hi Michael

In what situation or condition would you use advise to use the PZV(fs and mec?) since the pzc's (fs and mec), RTD2 and RT pillows are available too. To what I understand it seems to be a compilation of both.

I am very much intrested as I am currently using 1 rt pillow sandwich between 2 blocks of chinese pine wood and MEC and i find it sounds better in that manner. If I remove the 2 blocks of wood hidden behind my RTsq the effect is lesser.

Regards

Tj
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 30 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2015 12:50 am

Hi Tj

Exciting stuff isn't it Smile

It's amazing what you can do when you start playing with combos and or modifying these products.

I just put 2 FS in Rm#1 and was very please with the girth, warmth and bottom extension even after a couple of minutes.

Michael's System - Page 30 M1324

And that's without any burn on the back side yet.

Back to top Go down
rotelguy

rotelguy

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 30 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2015 12:32 am

Mr. Green, we were thinking about doing some PZV starting with behind the head ceiling meets wall. Should we keep the RT Square flat before covering it or on an angle? Which one should we use?

thanks, the music mad house Laughing
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 30 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2015 2:22 am

Hi Jim

Sorry forgot to reply.

I got ya covered, have it done. You can pick it up tomorrow. It sounds great in my room, I'll keep it up so you can hear it here before taking.

Cool

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 30 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2015 5:43 am

Today was Rm#2 with.........

Michael's System - Page 30 M1333

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 30 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2015 7:01 am

Michael, where have you been Question

oops

Rm#3 with

Michael's System - Page 30 M1340

Can't help myself. I've been getting classical with the Viola-FS.

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 30 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2015 7:23 am

just so you understand why I've been glued to my rooms as of late

Remember a few years ago I was dying to get some speaker designs into action and I was showing pictures of protos sitting in my rooms? Well after all that time look at what is sitting in my room.

Michael's System - Page 30 M1341

I guess everyday when I wake up, the wait was worth it. Are these a work of art or what Very Happy

Someone tell Harold to pinch me. Now that the drivers have broken in a little it's hard to walk past room 3 and go do something else.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Michael's System   Michael's System - Page 30 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Michael's System
Page 30 of 42Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 36 ... 42  Next