Michael Green Audio Forum

https://tuneland.forumotion.com

Our Website  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Yikes system

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
yikes

yikes

Yikes system  Empty
PostSubject: Yikes system    Yikes system  Icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 10:22 pm

Just moved to a new house. Right now just a little modest system playing, however it is sounding way better then I ever expected. MG working his magic ! Here is what I have for now: mini mods, picasso interconnect, bare essence type 2 cable, room tune tune pack, plus 2 extra echo tunes. Cd player is Magnavox 2100, Technics SA 5360 receiver. Room size 9'x13'.

Before Mg visit it sounded like a shelf system from any generic audio manufacturer. Now It sounds like something I want to listen to all night! Big sound stage, Splashing cymbals, full piano body, and bass that blows me away from that little speaker...
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

Yikes system  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yikes system    Yikes system  Icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 6:44 am

Hello Yikes

What did Michael do that transformed your system from the ordinary to one you'd want to listen to all night?

Pix of your system please!

Sonic
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

Yikes system  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yikes system    Yikes system  Icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 3:26 pm

Hi Yikes

Welcome to the techno-zone. So that people know Sean lives in Vegas now so it is easy for me to stop by and play.

Small drywall bedrooms (in vegas) with wood floors are probably the easiest rooms to tune in the world. My job in these rooms becomes pretty elementary to get to the first level at least. All I have to do is listen for how the zones and harmonics work together, tune the basics and have a minimal system.

The Mini Mods play so deep in Yikes room and thanks to the excellent tonal balance of the Mag and Technics combo I'm able to get a deep rich stage.
Back to top Go down
yikes

yikes

Yikes system  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yikes system    Yikes system  Icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 7:32 pm

I'm sure a lot of it was the room tune products. When you walk in and out of the room you can hear how much the sound of your voice changes, and the overall sound of the room itself. Beyond that, Michael instinctively knows where everything should go. It was not at all how I would have place things. He started with the chair, move this forward, move that back, etc. and presto! I never would have believed that little speaker could sound like that. Pictures, yes sir. I will have them up soon.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

Yikes system  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yikes system    Yikes system  Icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2012 5:45 pm

I do love it when the mini Mods have a chance to bloom. No one would ever think that they were that small.
Back to top Go down
yikes

yikes

Yikes system  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yikes system    Yikes system  Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 9:15 pm

I have been listening to them for days. I can't believe how small they are. I have had several people over to listen, everyone is just shocked! Unreal. It has been sometime since I have had my own system set up, I love it. I also bought a different reciever that should be getting here this week.
Back to top Go down
Robert Harrison

Yikes system  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yikes system    Yikes system  Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 9:20 pm

Hey, Yikes,

That receiver wouldn't be a Pioneer SX-3400, the current rage of The Zone, would it?

Robert
Back to top Go down
yikes

yikes

Yikes system  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yikes system    Yikes system  Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 11:57 pm

As a matter of fact... Pioneer SX 3400 on the way!
Back to top Go down
yikes

yikes

Yikes system  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yikes system    Yikes system  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 1:34 am

My Pioneer receiver came in today, just took off the exterior and plugged it in. Want to spend a few more days just keeping my current system in tact, and then will switch it out, in place of the Technics. I love listening to different systems. Spent the afternoon at MG's place. Listen to one of his system's for awhile... Huge Sound, it defies all other senses. What you see is nothing like what you hear.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

Yikes system  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yikes system    Yikes system  Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 6:08 am

Yes, it has been fun seeing the big eyes when folks come over. The 3400 is going to be a tweakable tuning animal. I enjoy mine every time I listen to it. It's so responcive to what is going on around it, especially when it comes to what it is touching.

Funny when you think that this receiver could easily go up against the highest of high end done correctly and with thought. I'm sure the intent of the design was to head toward economics at the time and simplicity but I wonder if there were some with pioneer at the time that knew this unit as the serious music producer it truly is.
Back to top Go down
yikes

yikes

Yikes system  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yikes system    Yikes system  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 1:10 am

Pioneer SX3400. You can tell is was likely the "base model". The tuner display has no lights, the tuner has a clunky feel, the knobs feel cheap, 15 watt per channel, etc. Just like the Magnavox it is sitting beside.
Who else would have discovered these exceedingly good sounding boxes.

Did some listening at MG's house today. I have been bringing people over there, audiophiles, music lovers, and then they can"t wait to bring more people. It has been fun. A few things they all agree on, you cannot hear the speakers,the room disappears, and nothing they have ever heard comes close.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

Yikes system  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yikes system    Yikes system  Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 2:24 pm

Yikes pics

Yikes system  Sh1

Yikes system  Sh2

Yikes system  Sh3

Yikes system  Sh4
Back to top Go down
yikes

yikes

Yikes system  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yikes system    Yikes system  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 11:48 pm

Ok, back to my system for a minute. I have been mostly listening at Michael's all week. Things are going pretty good over here. I am getting alot more out of that little room than what I thought, it is an easy room to work with. Go Room Tunes! I finally got some pics up, over the next few days I will get that pioneer plugged in there ( I wanted to wait until I was very familiar with how my current system sounded before changing anything). Will post results...
Back to top Go down
yikes

yikes

Yikes system  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yikes system    Yikes system  Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 4:01 am

Still listening. I know, change the reciever and it will sound so much better. I am just really enjoying the process. Tonight I have really been thinking. All those crazy high end products at the show, all the high end stuff I have owned and I am looking at this little boom box sized stereo and it sounds ... not great, not like my classic 60's set up in a ceder build house with a great wood sub floor. However it has it's own thing going on, and it is very cool. Sounds better than many high end systems I have owned before.

I have owned volume controls that weigh more than my entire system ( slight exaggeration). Tonight just one more cd and smile. Tuning is so much better than buying what "reviews" well and coming to that moment, that moment. You don't want to do it, it looked so cool, on paper it rocks, the reviewers said,... Yep it sounds awful! I do not miss those moments.
Back to top Go down
Robert Harrison

Yikes system  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yikes system    Yikes system  Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 11:50 pm

Hey, yikes,

You seem to be enjoying yourself. As for me, I feel I have been chasing my tail trying to get my system to cooperate. My Magnepans have a tendency to turn entire walls into virtual sound sources BUT NEVER GO BEYOND THEM! I know Sonic Beaver fights the good fight to make his Maggies perform, but as for me, I will be glad to get the speakers Mr. Green has been making for me.

I will admit, I do keep forgetting The Audio TRILOGY, concentrating almost exclusively on room acoustics. I was checking out some 10 year old posts on the AVS Forum where Mr. Green pointed out that some folks can't figure out that they need to make a change mechanically and/or electrically which will fix a problem thought to only be acoustic.

Of course, now, I will be making some of those kind of changes with the Pioneer receiver (if the thing works) and the Marantz DVD/CD player.

Robert
Back to top Go down
yikes

yikes

Yikes system  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yikes system    Yikes system  Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 4:03 am

Hi Robert,

I know exactly what you are saying about "chasing your tail" I spent many years doing that. In my case I was to focused on the equipment. In your case you are focused on acoustic and understanding your room. A much better place to start.

I remember reading all of those "high end" reviews all thoughts and comments about the particular model being tested. Almost nothing of the room, the power coming into your house, The looking past your room to the hallway, understanding your walls. Knowing how your space sounds.

To me, it sounds like you are on the right track.

By the way, the pioneer you mentioned. let me know when it gets there.
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

Yikes system  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yikes system    Yikes system  Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 10:54 am

Hi Robert

I am weary from battle...

Sonic
Back to top Go down
Robert Harrison

Yikes system  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yikes system    Yikes system  Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 4:16 pm

Hey, yikes and Sonic,

yikes,
The Pioneer is here, but I haven't even plugged it in yet to see if it works. I suppose I will have to do a temporary set-up to see how it gets along with the Maggies. Mr. Green thinks the Pioneer will drive them, so if that pans out, then I have to do some re-arranging of my electronics.

Sonic,
You were complaining of "tuning fatigue" when I started on this forum about a year and a half ago, and yet look how many things you have accomplished since.

Robert
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

Yikes system  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yikes system    Yikes system  Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 7:47 am

Thanks for that Robert.

I too think I am chasing my tail.

The issue is whether this is some endless spiral or I am actually going somewhere. And always realising the end of all this tuning is not More Tuning but the joy of listening to musick.
Back to top Go down
yikes

yikes

Yikes system  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yikes system    Yikes system  Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 12:41 pm

In the past I have owned products by, Mod Squad, Counterpoint, Conrad Johnson, KEF, Mission, Kingergetics, Celestion,NAD, I could go on and on. Also many accessories like garden hose sized speaker wire, and 50lb metal speaker stands.. I used to work at a high end audio store (Mom and Pop deal) and they allowed me sell sell my equipment in the store and buy as well. It was cool! So, I was able to afford swapping out products all the time.
Based on my experience, stick with basic "tune friendly" electronics and speakers, lightweight accessories, and make your room sound good. For me it is more intuitive to understand the room acoustics with the stereo off, and just listen to voices and other sounds in that space. Then just enjoy the ride.
Even though, recordings vary, humidity, temperature, air pressure, all the variations. When you stick with that formula , as you are trying to maybe widen the sound stage, get deeper bass,whatever you are trying to accomplish next, you do not feel frustrated because there is always something about the sound to enjoy, and it almost always sounds very musical.
Back to top Go down
yikes

yikes

Yikes system  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yikes system    Yikes system  Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 12:47 pm

Hey Robert,

I almost forgot. I am really curious about the Pioneer driving those Maggies. Hook it up!
Like I can talk, I have had mine for two weeks, still not hooked up. I want to mess around with my fuse box, and the outlets in that room. Settle, understand it, and then swap receivers.
Back to top Go down
yikes

yikes

Yikes system  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yikes system    Yikes system  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 2:18 pm

What a week around here. I looked for my fuse box, garage, laundry room, attic, huh? It is mounted on the side of my house. The only side that I do not have access to! In the southwest it is very common to have a brick wall around your yard, I will have to go through my neighbors gate to get to it, the house on the other side, they would have to go through my gate to get to theirs. Unbelievable design, what were these people thinking.

So,move on for now, time to hook up the Pioneer... Defective! I am fortunate to have a few "tunees" around or, that would have been frustrating. We have been playing around with my receiver and a few different products...

A very fun week here.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

Yikes system  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yikes system    Yikes system  Icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2012 5:27 am

Give me back the Mini Mods you thief affraid Police, stop that man he's getting away with the Mods Exclamation

Just for that I will upgrade the tweeters from these to the 3.5".

Yikes system  Minimod

villain Basketball
Back to top Go down
yikes

yikes

Yikes system  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yikes system    Yikes system  Icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2012 3:46 pm

I got the mods! I like the mods. Unbelievable depth from such a little speaker. Highly tunable, a very fun speaker to play around with.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

Yikes system  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yikes system    Yikes system  Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 9:13 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Yikes system  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yikes system    Yikes system  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Yikes system
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next