Michael Green Audio Forum

https://tuneland.forumotion.com

Our Website  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Yikes system

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Sonic.beaver

Yikes system  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yikes system    Yikes system  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 4:23 am

Hi Yikes

How low do the Mini mods go down in your room?

If you were to compare the Mini Mods to the 60s, where do the Mini Mods come short? In what way do the bigger speakers have an advantage?

Sonic
Back to top Go down
yikes

yikes

PostSubject: Re: Yikes system    Yikes system  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 1:26 am

Hey sonic,

I love these mods! they sound full range. Kick drum oomph, bass guitar "power". Like all of Michaels speakers they sound so musical, and so easy. They are designed to work with the music, easy and responsive to tuning. Instead of being frustrated in the journey to ultimate sound, you just enjoy the ride.

To answer your question I would say the energy starts to roll off around 35 to 40 hz. in that room, with that system. I bought a 2nd Pioneer receiver (first one did not sound right). I am still using that Technics receiver. I won the eBay bid today on another sx3400. That receiver is so good! I have been waiting to put one in that system before I really dig in and give those speakers a full review.

So, sx3400 on the way, a few minutes of tuning, a few hours of listening,and full review posted ASAP!

I do not miss "high end" audio at all. Musical is so much more fun than "all that jazz"

have fun
Back to top Go down
yikes

yikes

PostSubject: Re: Yikes system    Yikes system  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 2:20 am

My current mods vs classic 60s? I cannot say yet. I had a pair of the lightweight, paper cone, wood cured for ages, 60s. My room was in a ceder built house, 2nd floor wood Joyce floor, one side of the room 16ft tall, a cubby space that ran full length of the room. All tuned by MG. Incredible room.

I have never posted about some of my experiences in that room because, I would not expect anyone to really understand, to believe me. I have talked to Michael about it, he knows.

Let me just say this for now. I have been transported so deeply, felt wind brush around my head. Felt it. Heard sounds so deep that the ears, the sound was only a fraction of the experience. It encompassed all of my mind, and body. A piano that is a "background" in the song, become a liquid and spill over into a presence of overwhelming the senses.

While "high end" talks of slew rate, damping factor, amperage, really? brocca, brocca.

Back to top Go down
yikes

yikes

PostSubject: Re: Yikes system    Yikes system  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 11:51 pm

Pioneer came in yesterday, I hooked it up this morning turned on the radio, and left for the day. I am sitting in my living room with the system playing in my spare bedroom. From here I can tell that it is functioning very well, and as I thought, a huge improvement over the Technics receiver. The sx 3400 is such a find, so musical. The only thing I have done so far is take off the wood side panels and the top. For anyone out there that does not have a sx 3400 - I could not recommend it enough. It is absolutely amazing and, can be bought for $40 to $60 bucks!

Over the weekend I will get in some time to listen, and finally post my review of the Mods.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Yikes system    Yikes system  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 3:40 am

In the days to come we will see how the 3400 breaks in at Yikes house. For myself it is always interesting to experience the conversion of a component as it must start passing signal through the rest of the audio chain. Most times it sounds like a whole new system, and is, when you think about it. Every part now must establish it's path way all over again. Talking to Yikes the Technics after being set free is starting to sound quite nice, so the question will be how does the 3400 stack up and how long will it take for this new setup to settle in as much as the Technics setup did?
Back to top Go down
https://tuneland.forumotion.com
Robert Harrison

PostSubject: Re: Yikes system    Yikes system  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 5:55 pm

Hey, yikes,

So you took off the sides, eh? I have only taken off the top of my Pioneer so far. I noticed there are about 4 tie wraps internally. Do you reckon I should try to clip those off or would you think maybe after 30 some years, the unit could do without it? So far, I have been getting some damn good results.

Robert
Back to top Go down
yikes

yikes

PostSubject: Re: Yikes system    Yikes system  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 10:57 pm

Hey Robert, what timing on your comment. And yes, clip those ties! Originally I took off the sides an top, and let it play for a day. Last night I clipped to ties on the top of the transformer.

Tonight, (just now) I took off the feet and the metal bottom panel, very easy to do. Also, taking the bottom off gives you access to clip the wire ties from the bottom of the transformer. Then, I clipped off the rest of the ties, loosened all the kinks in the wires and spread them out. The whole process takes about 15 minutes and the results are awesome. You can hear the system open up, dynamic range, and bass increase.

What a great component, and so easy to tune. I am going to listen a little tonight, let it play all day tomorrow. My sx 3400 has only been playing for two days and is still acclimating. Another day or so. Then time to bring in some magic wood and space cones!

By the way, as I was clipping those ties I had the same thought. " after 30 years this may not be necessary".
Back to top Go down
yikes

yikes

PostSubject: Re: Yikes system    Yikes system  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 4:06 pm

Well, I played around with the Pioneer for awhile. From everywhere in the house it sounded much better then the Technics. However from sitting in the room listening it did not have the depth, dynamic range, and overall it did not sound as musical as the Technics. In my system.

So I have been using the Technics for the last couple of weeks.

Today, I am over at Michael's and his system with the sx 3400 sounds incredible. Great depth, clarity, timbre. His system is sounding very good.

So, Michael now has the Technics, and will be doing some tuning. Time to get to work on my sx 3400 and figure out how to tune it for my system, my room.
Back to top Go down
yikes

yikes

PostSubject: Re: Yikes system    Yikes system  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 11:54 pm

Since the Technics was sounding so good in my system I decided to tune it up, and repo it for awhile.Michael let me take it home for a few days. Getting rid of "bad" mass, and "excessive" tension opens up sound instantly and infinitely. For example I put in love over gold and the opening note has so many layers and can be heard for a much longer time. Now I have a piano!
Yikes system  - Page 2 Sean1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yikes system    Yikes system  - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Yikes system
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2