Michael Green Audio Forum

https://tuneland.forumotion.com

Our Website  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What do you want to know?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

What do you want to know? Empty
PostSubject: What do you want to know?   What do you want to know? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2013 3:05 am

Hi Guys and Gals

Tuneland for me is my playground of info. If you search you can find almost any part of what I think about what. The problem is I'm thinking about all of these different parts at the same time and sometimes pinning me down to a topic to stay on can be difficult. At least I admit it Laughing 

If you have a topic that your having a hard time finding or isn't clear and you want to know more here is a good place to tell me what it is and I'll figure out how to put it on tuneland so that it fits and is made clear.
Back to top Go down
Robert Harrison

PostSubject: Re: What do you want to know?   What do you want to know? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 11:10 pm

Hey, Mr. Green,

I'm still struggling with trying to understand room pressure. Should I be attempting to equalize the pressure in every part of the room or trying to build up the most pressure around my listening area?
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: What do you want to know?   What do you want to know? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 5:20 pm

Hi Robert

Man I had this great answer all typed up and went to hit post and it was gone. scratch 

Ok lets start again.

Here's the music scale.

What do you want to know? M66

When we are talking about music we are down in the frequencies where the pressure that these waves cause are physical vibrations. Meaning their powerful enough to vibrate the materials that we live with.

Why do I bring this up?

This is important because the vibrations of the sound waves are more important than the physical measurements of a room.

You know when people say my room is this long therefore the wavelengths do this and that? This is an audio myth and really has very little to do with the sound of your system. What does have something to do with the sound of your system is how the waves and build up pressure and vibrations and laminar effects form to make the pressure that dictates the sounds in your room.

The more full range all of your fundamental pressure zones sound the more even your pressure build up will be and the more your soundstage and performance will be complete.

But, there's always a but

we need to look at more than our four walls floor and ceiling to see what our sound is doing. Some systems (room and all) are able to create a full range of sound, complete with the harmonic structures, and some systems struggle with this.

Why?

Because your signal passing through the system is Vibration.

If the industry has screwed up anywhere in their message it's here. Those things we call pressure zones are vibrating everything physical on their way to dissipation. Right now where your sitting your vibrating at 7hz. Any time you touch anything the only way you can feel it is because you are feeling it's vibration. I sometimes wish there was another word used to describe sound other than waves cause I don't think it is strong enough to set what this energy is doing in our minds.

I have a huge respect for the term "full range" and think it is one of the most missunderstood terms in the biz. It would be great if we had rooms that were atomatically full range producers, but if there is not cooperation from the rooms contents to produce full range than the signal is going to look for a more frequency friendly place to develop. Ever been to a place where the sound is better when you walk out into the hall than in the room where it's being played? We walk back into the room and something is missing, out of the room down the hall or sitting in another spot and it is beautiful, than back in the room and it's clearly not there. Sometimes we're so after control that we deny the physical part of music to develop where we need it to.

Do all the pressure zones need to be equal? Not necessarely but they need to be alive (active) enough to allow the zones to fill up.

I've always spent a lot of time listening to my halls and other rooms (closets and such) to see if I can hear something in those areas that my listening room is not giving. I do a lot of field trips when at someones home. They look at me strange but I'm listening for that full range and anything that the sound pressure being produced is doing on it's dissipation path that is maybe not what it should be.

It is real easy to deflate a pressure zone and move on in our tweaking only to end up at a place that is lifeless and flat sounding. What we should be doing is practicing the art of opening up the space and then tweaking (tuning) it back in. In my current room when I sit down in my chair the volume of the system goes up a db (maybe more) across the frequency range. It's like someone turned up the volume and on the loudness button. My bass also gets this membrane tight sound with lots of detail and emotion, but again tight and kicky when it needs to be. This is my fav type of sound and when the sound rolls around me with this same intensity it's pretty cool. I find when I get the bass to do this and produce the lower notes many times the mids and highs will fall into place and become proper sized and relaxed. When I sense that my pressure zones however are not filling up with extra db this cool music pace and plumpness doesn't take place. I always get the feeling of bass shy and lack of power on demand. There's no 1812 moments, or in your case 2001 themes. For me this is where the music is and the more I can walk through my room, or at least sit in my listening chair zone and hear this and the music flow around me, I'm in the thumbs up seats.

In your case I'm always looking at where your TV is and what might be going on in that cabinet it is sitting on. There's magic in your front zone and when you find it things are going to let loose. I would be tempted to make that stand into a PZC of sorts.

also look at this https://tuneland.forumotion.com/t200-understanding-acoustical-pressure-zones

My gut tells me that there is a relationship between your front zone and your chair zone and a space infront of your head above you that has not been locked in yet. My zone around my chair is pretty live and full of bass. I also just walked in my front zone and behind my front tunes there's a fair amount of bass too coming off the front wall. Not as much as off the SAM but pretty strong. However moving in front of my tunes it's fairly quite till I start to get near the center zone then it picks back up a little. I would think that you have a better center zone than I do and I would be playing on that ceiling to see what kind of magic is waiting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you want to know?   What do you want to know? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What do you want to know?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Michael Green Audio Forum :: Audio Chat :: General Audio Chat, staying in tune-
Jump to: