Michael Green Audio Forum

https://tuneland.forumotion.com

Our Website  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

talkers or walkers

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

talkers or walkers Empty
PostSubject: talkers or walkers   talkers or walkers Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 9:16 pm

Hi listeners

In this industry I have always tried to stay on top of advising by listening, and listening to everything. The no stone unturned type of thing. You've read about all the places I have had and the systems and tuning that went into them in order for me to come up with designs that take us forward. I do a lot of reading about what others are doing and look at their sites as well as try their products. I don't get into the dampening tests as much any more cause this is something that I have figured out a long time ago and studied it deeply. I have found transfer tuning to be far more accurate when finding the specifics. Even so I test my ears by doing things that shrink the stage or throw something out of pitch ever so slightly so I stay sharp.

My rooms and homes have over the years been more like listening labs than houses. My belief is you have to "know it all" to make decisions on the tiniest of details and the studying never ever stops. You have to treat yourself as tough as the folks you talk to and when ever that voice says go listen and double check, you do it without pretending some thing is because you think it is. You have to roll up those sleeves and keep jumping in the fire.  Through the years I have always tried to find other designers, reviewers, engineers in the business that have the same belief. I mean how can you know about speakers without knowing rooms, and how can you know about the room without knowing amps, and so on the list goes. When I see a brilliant musician I see someone who is deep in practice and repeats the tune over and over. He doesn't sit there and assume or sure enough the piece will be slightly off and he will know this even if he got one over on the crowd. He or she knows when their chops are down.

I bring this up because I have been shocked over the years to hear people in the industry talk about audio issues but in their own practices are not actively engaged in the very things they talk about. I use to let this pass, but sometimes when I hear or see the talk it sets me back for a moment when I find out that there is no walk to the talk. Someone for example who might be making firm comments about acoustics yet only listens to headphones. Another one is people talking about test who have their test equipment in the same room as where they listen, making judgements on how things sound vs the test results. How can you do a test on speakers in a room if the equipment and a bunch of other things interfearing with the room/speaker performance are in there with the speakers? Or how can you do drawings on how sound works in an empty room when your room is lined with bookcases?

In my book these types of things border on scams.

How can a reviewer of audio be listening and writing on a component when there are other components sitting in the same room with the components being reviewed? Racks and speakers and amps and tables and rows of records all in the same rooms with the writer. Is there something wrong with this picture to you? There certainly is for me yet the hobbiest follows these folks blindly.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

talkers or walkers Empty
PostSubject: Re: talkers or walkers   talkers or walkers Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 5:11 pm

I'm having talker overload  Laughing 

I should put this on the Stereophile thread here but needed to hear myself say how koo koo some of these guys are. talk talk talk, and rudely talking more. No one listening mind you but tons and tons of talk.

thank God for TuneLand  Laughing 

What a difference between guys that are listeners and guys who are talkers.

holy smoke daddys  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Toledo

talkers or walkers Empty
PostSubject: Re: talkers or walkers   talkers or walkers Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 9:48 pm

Thats really all they have is talk. I think the tweak manufactures do it to try and stay relevant.

It's like a tweakers convention over there right now with them crashing everyone's party.

They don't listen to subtle suggestions and are basically just scrappers. I guess I would have a chip on my shoulder if I had sell the crap they do.

I am trying to decide if ignoring them is best and they will go away.

I have to admit I have had to hold my tongue the last few days especially since the new arrival showed up yesterday. I think somebody just cuts and pastes their arguments and feels they get extra credit for word count.

Just have to see how long my patience can last.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

talkers or walkers Empty
PostSubject: Re: talkers or walkers   talkers or walkers Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 9:51 pm

I'm about ready to blow their cover. They've dug their hole.
Back to top Go down
Toledo

talkers or walkers Empty
PostSubject: Re: talkers or walkers   talkers or walkers Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2014 9:59 pm

Ruttro cheers 

The thing is they are used to it. You should see them on other forums. They will argue until they are blue in the face. Geoff is basically over there talking to himself and feeling so proud of his "facts."
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

talkers or walkers Empty
PostSubject: Re: talkers or walkers   talkers or walkers Icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2014 1:18 am

The bomb has dropped Exclamation 

If these guys are going to act like chidren their going to get spanked.

Sorry readers we're really not mean here, just sometimes the industry needs a little loving kick.

Shocked 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

talkers or walkers Empty
PostSubject: Re: talkers or walkers   talkers or walkers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

talkers or walkers
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Michael Green Audio Forum :: Audio Chat :: General Audio Chat, staying in tune-
Jump to: