Michael Green Audio Forum

https://tuneland.forumotion.com

Our Website  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

choosing a reference @ TuneLand Vegas

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

choosing a reference @ TuneLand Vegas Empty
PostSubject: choosing a reference @ TuneLand Vegas   choosing a reference @ TuneLand Vegas Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 11:03 pm

choosing a reference @ TuneLand Vegas M1197

pics feature Harold Cooper

There's probably no real way to tell you what we go through in choosing a reference system. It goes beyond walking in a store being guided by a salesman. I mean after all, when they find out who we are everyone around comes by to ask us our opinion. most of the time audiophiles watching us do our thing haven't a clue what we are listening for. They watch us play a demo as they talk the talk. "wow the big Threshold, Krell, Marantz, Mac, ARC....and on the list goes. In fact in this case over 60 high end audio amplifiers await our judgement. That's just the amps.

Budget isn't the issue, as this is the Vegas CES graveyard. just one little shop downtown that has passed through 25 years of the high end audio after show buyouts. Before that these shops host audio all the way back to the 50's and 60's as Vegas became one of the worlds entertainment mainstreets. Some of the finest record collections anywhere in the world and a revolving door of high end that rivals any on-line used dealership. Stacked floor to ceiling everything, and everything else next week. A reconditioning shop in the back, half the size of the store itself, keeps the models up and running strong. Best of all no sells pitch. If you don't know what your doing you'll never be able to navigate. You'll end buying by the dollar, or the brand but not by the sound, cause there is no such thing as a listening room. A little space in the crowded front can be used to hook things up, but yet have I seen someone do critical listening here. They look at the brand & model, make sure it turns on then out the door. The store should be called "I always wanted to own".

Last edited by Michael Green on Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: choosing a reference @ TuneLand Vegas   choosing a reference @ TuneLand Vegas Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2015 1:25 am

choosing a reference @ TuneLand Vegas M1198

First thing we do, like any other audiophile, is make our shopping list. What are we wanting to do with this system Question

Well to be honest we have been getting the sounds that we want, but when I list my components at lets say Stereophile forum you can almost hear the "what?" from anywhere in the audiophile keeping score world Laughing  There's this under-line sentiment that high end audio $$$bucks$$$ is the same as audiophile sound. With this rolling around in our brains for months, Harold and I have been talking about what to use as an "audiophile" system that won't get in my way. I only have 3 main rooms after all as compared to many as I am use to, and having a trophy taking up real estate is OK when I am in research mode, but serious listening mode? Nope, I need all the room I can get. I could just see us being fair and setting up a hundred or so rooms and systems, just so we can be fair to all. We don't doubt that almost everything has it's shining moments and one of these moments is perfect for some listener some where, but in a way, that's the SoundConsultant side of the biz. My side is study the vibratory sciences and methods of tuning. Oh don't worry we have some high end audio news coming soon, and people will see that we cover both the strip it down side and the stock side. That's other news for another time.

the question is

The question is, what is it we need to keep my one foot in the total tuning of minimalist goodies and the other in the well respected audiophile, get my card stamped, club? Harold has at his place the upper end new products, that we will show & tell with, so do we put some of this at my place? Maybe, but lets talk about this a minute. So if you can picture Coop and I riding around with the top down in the Shelby making our audio lists of the perfect products to have fun with for this particular chapter you wouldn't be far off.

Since it's the audiophile club MG will need to do this system with separates.

pre-amp

We went back and forth on the idea of tables or R2R and the further we went down these roads we came back to the fact, that I get obsessed when I get started and there is still, to the best of our knowledge, only 24 hours in a day no matter how much I want to re-set this. Still, leaving that door open for later what Pre-amp do the both of us absolutely trust, as not stuck in a signature too deep and yet something that gets along with almost any amplifier? There's Roger's work (music reference), PV 5, CAT, maybe Quicksilver or Counterpoint. Audible Illusions, Classe and the list went on till we both got to the one preamp designer and the one preamp that we were both sure would do the tuning trick. Answer?, once we both pictured it in our minds and memories was the perfect MG preamp would have to be Stan Warren's Rev Basic.

choosing a reference @ TuneLand Vegas M1199

next the source
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: choosing a reference @ TuneLand Vegas   choosing a reference @ TuneLand Vegas Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2015 12:52 pm

Having the Superphon gives tons of flexibility, both on the source and amplifier sides of the unit. Choosing a CDP is certainly as interesting for me as the preamp. After much referencing of CDP's and talking to Harold, we again both came to the same conclusion "why not go back to the beginning".

This my fellow listeners is a long topic, and my reference has been chosen a couple of years back, but for the sake of this system and reasoning, noone dogs on the original players. Because of this we picked up....

choosing a reference @ TuneLand Vegas M1200
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: choosing a reference @ TuneLand Vegas   choosing a reference @ TuneLand Vegas Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2015 2:37 am

The Amp & more

You know sometimes I say something and then smile and think to myself "no-one will believe this Smile " It's not the audiophile way to doubt the brand names after years of reputation building and the mystique. But that same attitude often makes us walk right past the music makers. I my case and for this system, I'm not looking for that unit that sends me off in the audiophile goose chase. Nope I'm hunting for something that I can have my will with. I already have my signature maker in the Superphon and am not looking for any fights. From the moment I flicked the preamp on it was "Hello Stan, how have you been". Within seconds I heard the good, and the needed to tune signs, but I'm saving this for last of the 3 pieces cause I need to make some special toys for the out-board supply.

Also while going through this, keep in mind, this system is downstairs on my tile flooring and a glass wall directly in-front of me, big window off to the left and open area off to the right with stairs. Now for you seasoned pros out there, your saying "tile, glass, Superphon?". Don't worry, I hear you, but there is something I have up my sleeve. Well shoot, quit talking MG and throw up some pics Rolling Eyes

choosing a reference @ TuneLand Vegas M1217

my approach is simple

No reason letting this once living room cheat me out of great sound. By making my SAM Wall and other goodies to come, I'll be telling the room and system to do what I want, not trying to make the components do stuff their not built to (the audio trilogy). Already this is a system that is under control of the SAM, Blocks, Platforms and of course Viola Speakers. After a few voiced products, you won't know this is a tile floor with mirror wall. Bill Evans already sounds absolutely stuning.

but, we're only just beginning aren't we Smile
Back to top Go down
tjbhuler

PostSubject: Re: choosing a reference @ TuneLand Vegas   choosing a reference @ TuneLand Vegas Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2015 4:43 am

This is interesting, will be following this thread closely Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: choosing a reference @ TuneLand Vegas   choosing a reference @ TuneLand Vegas Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

choosing a reference @ TuneLand Vegas
Page 1 of 1