Michael Green Audio Forum

https://tuneland.forumotion.com

Our Website  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Rev6 Combo Hookup "SubWoofers"

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

Rev6 Combo Hookup "SubWoofers" Empty
PostSubject: Rev6 Combo Hookup "SubWoofers"   Rev6 Combo Hookup "SubWoofers" Icon_minitimeFri Feb 16, 2018 10:33 am

Rev6 Combo Hookup "SubWoofers" M2023

Rev6 Combo Hookup "SubWoofers" M2021

The MGA Rev6 speaker system has been around since the early 90's. The 6 stands for bookshelf size speakers hosting 6.5" woofers, and the 60 stands for the floorstanding version. When the word "Combo" follows that means a Subwoofer has been added to the system mix. Rev stands for Revolution Series. The name originated from the first review published about the MGA method of tuning "I witnessed the revolution's first volley" Tom Miiller TAS.

Here is a thread for the Combo user.

Last edited by Michael Green on Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:00 am; edited 10 times in total
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Rev6 Combo Hookup "SubWoofers"   Rev6 Combo Hookup "SubWoofers" Icon_minitimeFri Feb 16, 2018 11:14 am

Rev6 Combo Hookup "SubWoofers" M2022

For my main systems, I have been a one source listener for a long time. The CD has been my choice for that one source. There are several reasons why I personally take this approach, but the biggest one is, trying to make a system flexible enough to play multi sources seriously is a ton of work. Here's why. Every playback source has it's own particular and unique recorded code and source dependent EQ. Because of this the purist has to completely reset his system to accommodate this different source signal every time we switch between source selections. Another reason I choose to be a one source guy is, I don't like the sound of several components plugged into my input spaces, causing that squeezed sound. Tapes for example have a different EQing than Vinyl and Digital different from either of these, plus FM being even yet different. Trying to get one analog setup to automatically adjust to these different sources was a great attempt in the early days of receiver and preamp designing. Later came DSP, but the truth is, every source has it's own DNA and they really aren't meant to mimic each other, not really. This might also explain why I choose some of my componentry.

So with this in mind take a look at one of my Combo setups.

Rev6 Combo Hookup "SubWoofers" Revhookup

This setup goes from CDP to MGA Crossover. From the crossover the Rev6 signal is fed to the Preamp, while a controlled power signal is fed to the Rev Subwoofer.

Rev6 Combo Hookup "SubWoofers" M2024

The next post shows a couple of setups.

Last edited by Michael Green on Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:35 am; edited 10 times in total
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Rev6 Combo Hookup "SubWoofers"   Rev6 Combo Hookup "SubWoofers" Icon_minitimeFri Feb 16, 2018 11:43 am

WHAT? Seems pretty simple.
Rev6 Combo Hookup "SubWoofers" M1901

Rev6 Combo Hookup "SubWoofers" Revhookup

Systems don't have to be complicated to sound great. The systems I have been setting up, that have received so much praise, have gone from the CDP to the Tunable Crossover then to the Preamp, then to the Amp (see above). OR we can skip the preamp and go from the Crossover to an Integrated Amp or Receiver. These are super simple to hook up and supply variable adjustments for that very important point between the Mid-Bass and Low-Bass.

We can also use a splitter.

Rev6 Combo Hookup "SubWoofers" Revcombohookup2

That would mean the Rev6 would be playing full range and the SW (subwoofer) would be playing up to the selected frequency. There's one more option. The 3rd option would go from the CDP to the Preamp and from the Preamp to the crossover (see below).

Rev6 Combo Hookup "SubWoofers" Revcombohookup3

So MG, which is better?

All 3 setups tune to their own strengths and it depends on where I want to put my tuning focus on. You might think one would blow the others away, but that's not necessarily the case. For example, using the Crossover before the Preamp gives me a lot of flexibility as to turning the speakers into a 3way sound instead of a satellite
/sub sound. There are advantages going the other two routes as well.

No matter which way you choose, having a full range free resonant "tunable" speaker system will take you places in your listening you have never been before vs a non-adjustable 'one sound' fix setup.

Last edited by Michael Green on Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:08 am; edited 9 times in total
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Rev6 Combo Hookup "SubWoofers"   Rev6 Combo Hookup "SubWoofers" Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 2:28 am

Want to go even more simplistic? Amaze yourself by using only a Receiver or Integrated Amp, skipping over the separate Preamp. Below is the Rotel but you can use many different brands and models, vintage to modern, with this setup and get results that will surprise. See how minimalistic this system is.

Rev6 Combo Hookup "SubWoofers" M1910

I should also share my mechanical setup. The Rev Combo is perfect for my "Method of Tuning". Not only is the Combo simple and adjustable, but it is also designed to go further than any other listening system once you turn the Combo into the ultimate Tuning Tool.

Rev6 Combo Hookup "SubWoofers" Revcombohookup4
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Rev6 Combo Hookup "SubWoofers"   Rev6 Combo Hookup "SubWoofers" Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2018 10:30 am

This is a Rev6 Combo setup at (TuneLand on the Strip) 7/4/2018 Las Vegas, NV

Rev6 Combo Hookup "SubWoofers" M1920

I use the above setup to test different types of MGA Equipment Platform wood. Behind the listening area is a SAM (Selective Audionic Membrane) wall. Below is another view of MGA Platforms currently in production featured at AXPONA.

Rev6 Combo Hookup "SubWoofers" M2025

The Rev Combo can be used for the most tweaked out systems, but is most commonly used for the lifestyle listener as seen below.

Rev6 Combo Hookup "SubWoofers" JeffListeningSession
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Rev6 Combo Hookup "SubWoofers"   Rev6 Combo Hookup "SubWoofers" Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2018 10:23 pm

Rev6 Combo Hookup "SubWoofers" M2026
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rev6 Combo Hookup "SubWoofers"   Rev6 Combo Hookup "SubWoofers" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rev6 Combo Hookup "SubWoofers"
Page 1 of 1