Michael Green Audio Forum

https://tuneland.forumotion.com

Our Website  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

BillD's system

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

BillD's system Empty
PostSubject: BillD's system   BillD's system Icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2018 3:19 pm

BillD's system M1922

This is BillD's System that we're looking at. I've done a basic RoomTune placement guide for him and here are some Q & A's.

BillD's system Bill1

BillD's system Bill2

BillD's system Bill3

BillD's system Bill4

BillD's system Bill5

BillD's system Bill6

Last edited by Michael Green on Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:01 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

BillD's system Empty
PostSubject: Re: BillD's system   BillD's system Icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2018 3:31 pm

Welcome to TuneLand Bill!

Here is the latest question

"Hi Michael

I have been moving the speakers around and positioning them all over the place, stuffed pillows in the corner, checked the phasing, tried my other set of Kappa 9's etc. and no matter what I still have this real boxy sound especially from the right one. You can stand 2 feet in front of it and hear it.  It sounds like it's coming right from the speaker but must be room interaction.  The Kappas also have more bass than in any other room before.  So is this a floor to ceiling bounce resonance, or it the corner, or the ceiling corners or a little of all?  Would the corners and XLT in the corner be enough to trap out the boxiness? My last place had a sloping ceiling that went from 8ft to 11ft and I didn't  have this issue at all.  What is the frequency range that the pillows affect?"
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

BillD's system Empty
PostSubject: Re: BillD's system   BillD's system Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2018 1:36 am

Bill

I have been moving the speakers around and positioning them all over the place, stuffed pillows in the corner, checked the phasing, tried my other set of Kappa 9's etc. and no matter what I still have this real boxy sound especially from the right one. You can stand 2 feet in front of it and hear it. It sounds like it's coming right from the speaker but must be room interaction. The Kappas also have more bass than in any other room before. So is this a floor to ceiling bounce resonance, or it the corner, or the ceiling corners or a little of all?

mg

Part of this is room construction and part of this is corner loading. It can also be that your system audio chain is having a hard time with the new environment.

Bill

Would the corners and XLT in the corner be enough to trap out the boxiness?

mg

The RoomTune would balance out the room buildup coming from the room's seams and corners.

Bill

My last place had a sloping ceiling that went from 8ft to 11ft and I didn't have this issue at all.

mg

I just moved from a place that had the 8-11' design as well, loved it! I had a system setup in every room. Very easy to tune.

Bill

What is the frequency range that the pillows affect?"

mg

RoomTune is a full range acoustical barricade system.

Kappa's can be touchy, after you treat your room, you might even need to have a Speaker Platform made for you so you can adjust the transfer between the speaker and floor. Your going to be able to get things straightened out but it might take several parts to fix it. From what I'm looking at I see both mechanical and acoustical symptoms. Good news is it sounds like you don't have anything missing in the sound. With Kappa's if you have something missing it can be a real bear to create, but being that you have the opposite going on, it's more a matter of foundation and room response.

If you want to test the waters with RoomTune you can get a couple to use in that troubled corner and let me know what your hearing then we can take more steps.

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

BillD's system Empty
PostSubject: Re: BillD's system   BillD's system Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2018 10:36 pm

From Bill

I'm still playing around with this room and it seems like I have a dip or null in the upper midrange in addition to  what's making it sound boxy.  I have tried both sets of kappas and they sound the same.  The  system is the exact same I was using until I moved.  So I did take some measurements if that would help.

Used Rives test CD #2 with radio shack meter set at 80:

without subs

20     -9
25      0
31.5   peaked meter
40      peaked
50      peaked
63      peaked
80      -1
100    peaked
125    +3
160    -4
200    -9
250    -9
315    +2
400    -2
500    -10
630    -2
800    -5
1000  +1
1250  -10
1600  less than -10
2000  less than -10
2500  -10
3150  -8
4000   less than -10
5000   -8
6300   0
8000   0
10000 -4
12500 -8
16000 -6
20000 -10

It looks like there is a big dip from 1250 to 5000 which is what it sounds like.

So, does this seem like a room issue?  The room doesn't seem to sound funny when talking in it.

What can be done to fix the dip or would the roomtunes level everything else out so the dip wouldn't be as pronounced?

Or, is it possible that it's an equipment problem like the amp starting to go and if so would it just cause a dip in certain frequencies like this?

Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

BillD's system Empty
PostSubject: Re: BillD's system   BillD's system Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2018 9:27 am

BillD

It looks like there is a big dip from 1250 to 5000 which is what it sounds like.

mg

Yep, even though I prefer using music then shaping the system to your ears, this shows a lot of what is going on.

BillD

So, does this seem like a room issue? The room doesn't seem to sound funny when talking in it.

mg

It's important that you said "The room doesn't seem to sound funny when talking in it". Using your voice is a good method of testing your environment and comparing it to what the system is doing. No matter how good a system may be many times they fight the room instead of working with the space and it's construction.

BillD

What can be done to fix the dip or would the roomtunes level everything else out so the dip wouldn't be as pronounced?

mg

The RoomTune will certainly level the acoustical environment and you should proceed doing this. But there's more to the problem than the acoustics. There's a mechanical mismatch with the system itself in this space.

BillD

Or, is it possible that it's an equipment problem like the amp starting to go and if so would it just cause a dip in certain frequencies like this?

mg

My advice would be lets do the basic acoustical treatment then look at fixing the systems mechanics, maybe looking at platforms for the speakers so that they work better with the floor. There are other tools we can use to correct the way the system is performing once we get into it.

Also something that I do with almost all of my setups that are Mid Room (like yours) is create a zone at your listening position that allows you to replace the sound that you would normally have with a controlled listening zone. We call this the SAM (selective audionic membrane) or (selective acoustical membrane). What this does is creates a pleasant listening zone that is adjustable so you can dial in the area around your head and body. You may be standing in the room and things not sound right but as soon as you sit in the SAM Zone the sound becomes focused.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

BillD's system Empty
PostSubject: Re: BillD's system   BillD's system Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2018 11:28 am

the latest from BillD

"Hi Michael

I checked my voltage in this room and its 122-124
volts. Is that a little too high and could that be
affecting m old Onkyo and creating some weirdness with the
frequency response?

ThanksBill"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

BillD's system Empty
PostSubject: Re: BillD's system   BillD's system Icon_minitime