Michael Green Audio Forum

https://tuneland.forumotion.com

Our Website  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Rob's System

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

Rob's System Empty
PostSubject: Rob's System   Rob's System Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2018 5:09 am

Rob's System M1922

Rob's System Robs1
welcome to TuneLand Rob!

"Hi Michael,

Thanks so much for getting back so quickly.  I have included some pictures of my room.  I took a picture of each wall starting with the front and moving around the room.  I can provide additional shots if that would help. As you will see, I have several acoustic panels around the room which did help to "deaden" the room but I'm sure there is still room for improvement.  I did most of the work on the room myself so if you have any suggestions, I would be happy to give them a try.  Let me know what you think or if you need anything else from me and I look forward to hearing your recommendations.

Rob"

Rob's System Robs1

Rob's System Robs2

Rob's System Robs3

Rob's System Robs4
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

Rob's System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rob's System   Rob's System Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2018 5:35 am

Hi Rob

First off can I tell you something? Your room is gorgeous Exclamation

I'm just getting done with my day, believe it or not, (2:30am), so I'm going to need to pick this up tomorrow. But, as soon as I saw the pictures I thought PZCs and Speaker Platforms. Let me get back to this though after some rest.

really nice Rob Exclamation
Back to top Go down
robsnsx1

Rob's System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rob's System   Rob's System Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2018 10:09 pm

Thanks Michael for the kind words. Obviously it has been a labor of love. I should probably give you some additional information on the room. It is in the basement so it has a concrete floor under the carpet. The walls are all double 5/8" drywall with green glue between them for sound isolation. The room is roughly 21' long by 15' wide with 7'9" ceilings. The ceiling material is double drywall with stryrofoam ceiling panels for decoration. They are not wood. If you require any additional info just let me know. Don't keep working late hours on this. It sounds like you are very busy. I would like to make improvements but it doesn't have to be done yesterday. Thanks again and I look forward to working on this with you further.

Rob
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

Rob's System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rob's System   Rob's System Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2018 5:08 am

Hi Rob

When you get a chance I'd like to get to know what the system sounds like over all to you. Simple things like, can you listen for long periods of time without feeling fatigued, does the system sound to boomy for you, does it sound the same all over the room, how does it sound music vs movie, just some general stuff that puts me in your space a little more.
Back to top Go down
robsnsx1

Rob's System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rob's System   Rob's System Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2018 8:50 am

Thanks Michael,
Right now I am about 90% happy with the sound of the room. The room is used primarily for 2 channel or 5 channel audio listening. I would say movies account for about 10-15% of the time spent in the room. I recently changed speakers from B&W 802 to a complete Revel Ultima2 set up and I am very happy with that decision. The Revels have a more "laid back" and smoother presentation compared to the 802s. I can listen for a longer periods of time without fatigue (of course the specific recording can have an impact on that). I am currently using a pair of JL Audio F112 subs crossed over at about 60Hz. Again, depending on the recording, I do adjust the level of the subs. This is one area where I believe they could be a little tighter but I hesitate to use the word "boomy" as I don't believe the low end would be described that way. The acoustic panels I currently have have had a tremendous impact on the performance of the system but I will confess to not being an expert at placement or utilization of these materials. I took the advice of some articles I read and a little experimentation. That is why I was searching for additional help when I found your website.
As far a video compared to audio, I always have to turn the sub level down when watching movies. Different movies require different amounts of attenuation, but it always seems to be low end heavy on movie soundtracks.
The system and room are very specific to the "sweet spot" for ideal listening. If i move off axis there is a noticeable increase in the low end and a more muddy presentation. As I am really the only one in the house that cares about such things, that is not as big a concern for me. If you move up to the front of the room near the speakers and screen, the bass becomes very prevalent. Conversely, near the back of the room, the bass loses impact and definition. As noted earlier, I have arranged the placement and level setting for the sweet spot that I mainly occupy.
I feel the system images pretty well and have had several other serious listeners agree with that assessment. I would imagine there is always room for improvement there as well.
It may be unrealistic to hope for this, but I would really like to achieve a greater level of consistency among different recordings to minimize the adjustments I generally make when switching discs or songs or movies. As I said, that may be an unreasonable expectation.
Overall, I am looking at this project as a continued quest for the absolute sound. I occasionally change components, cables, or speakers, and get that little improvement that is so exciting. I feel at this point the room improvement may add even more impact.
Hope this helps. Let me know what else you need. Thanks again so much for your time and consideration.

Rob
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rob's System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rob's System   Rob's System Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rob's System
Page 1 of 1