Michael Green Audio Forum

https://tuneland.forumotion.com

Our Website  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New but Old Tube Amps

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
garp

New but Old Tube Amps Empty
PostSubject: New but Old Tube Amps   New but Old Tube Amps Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2018 3:28 pm

Sonic,

Since watching your reviews and observations of all audio products and especially your recent post regarding mid bass and lower bass especially for cello, I decided to add my comments on a new amp in my collection. Over the years, many tubed amps have come and gone as my search for smaller in weight, size and cost amps have taken their places. The 2 watt Yamamoto 45 tubed clone amp has been my favorite the past year constructed from vintage iron and parts, it bested everything in my collection over the years. It’s only flaw was lack of power for my 94.5 speakers, but improved when returning to my 8’ Radian coaxial large bookshelf speakers listed as between 96 and 97 db efficient. A few months ago, the builder of my Yamamoto clone asked me if I might be interested in a 421A Fi clone. The now deceased Don Garber introduced the 421A amp to the commercial market around 2005 and was praised by Stereophile’s, Art Dudley, but 6Moons, Srajen Ebaen, really hit the nail on the head comparing the Yamamoto, the Fi 421A, Canary 300B and a Class D amp in his October, 2005 review. 6moons.com/audioreviews/fi6/421A.html.

All of these amps were considered high end/high price as Michael would say. Certainly, the originals did not interest me from a cost standpoint, but there are amp builders in the states that build lower cost clones that may actually sound better than the originals. The 421A amp did interest me because it uses only three tubes for stereo, the 421A tube services the stereo and power and is supported by a 6SL7 driver tube, and a 5U4 rectifier, and my builder constructed the amp in a wood base in a small, light weight configuration using vintage transformers and parts.

Currently, Yo-Yo Ma and Friends, Songs of Joy and Peace CD is playing with my little Maggie, and the Yo-Yo Ma’s cello really shines better capturing what a live cello should sound. As Ebaen’s review hints, the 421A tube may be the best small watt tube offering for bass and mid bass available. What amazes me about his amp in the additional body from the 4 watts it offers in my tuned room. This 421A amp exposes details previously hidden which I did not know the Maggie CD player could help uncover. The strength of the 421A is tone with clarity without digital glare which provides a fatigue free all day listening experience. Oh yes, wall to wall soundstage is better compared to other amps that have come and gone except the Yamamoto clone. The best part is the cost is a fraction of the original cost of the Fi and Yamamoto which I think would make even Michael smile.

Garp

Back to top Go down
Sonic Voyager

PostSubject: Re: New but Old Tube Amps   New but Old Tube Amps Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2018 10:52 am

Hello Garp!

Good to hear from you.  Thanks for talking about your experience with micro-watt amps and the 6moons link -- Sonic had a nice look at Gerber's "sandwich" amp.

Right now I am wrestling with the weak cello range and making some progress in filling that range out. For a lot of music Sonic listens to, the cello/viola da gamba is the lowest instrument in the ensemble and if that range goes weak the music is reedy and thin. Interestingly, the cello thinness is audible more on digital sources rather than with analog.

Sonic

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: New but Old Tube Amps   New but Old Tube Amps Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2018 6:46 pm

http://6moons.com/audioreviews/fi6/421A.html

New but Old Tube Amps 0d497a_6e32597d18604900b04ea97cecec20c0~mv2

Reviewer: Srajan Ebaen
Source: Zanden Audio Model 2000P/5000S
Preamp/Integrated: ModWright SWL 9.0SE; AudioZone PRE-T1 [on review]; Music First Audio [on review]
Amp: 2 x Audiosector Patek SE run one channel each, the other shorted out; Canary Audio CA-308 [on review]; Fi 421A [on review]; Yamamoto A-08S [on review]; WRAD 300 [on review];
Speakers: Zu Cable Definition Mk 1.5; Gallo Reference 3; Ars Aures Sensorial [on review]; WLM Viola [on review]
Cables: Zanden Audio proprietary I²S cable, Stealth Audio Indra (x2), Zu Cable Ibis, Zu Cable Birth on Definitions; Crystal Cable Reference power cords; ZCable Hurricane power cords on both conditioners
Stands: 1 x Grand Prix Audio Monaco four-tier
Powerline conditioning: 2 x Walker Audio Velocitor S
Sundry accessories: GPA Formula Carbon/Kevlar shelf for transport; GPA Apex footers underneath stand, DAC and amp; Walker Audio SST on all connections; Walker Audio Vivid CD cleaner; Furutech RD-2 CD demagnetizer; WorldPower cryo'd Hubbell wall sockets
Room size: 30' w x 18' d x 10' h [sloping ceiling] in long-wall setup in one half, with open adjoining living room for a total of ca.1000 squ.ft floor plan
Review Component Retail: $3,075 + shipping

New but Old Tube Amps 0d497a_049f65e215054f88bbb1311797a62266~mv2
Back to top Go down
https://tuneland.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New but Old Tube Amps   New but Old Tube Amps Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New but Old Tube Amps
Page 1 of 1