Michael Green Audio Forum

https://tuneland.forumotion.com

Our Website  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Scott's System

Go down 
+2
Sonic Voyager
MGA
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
hifitone

Scott's System - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Scott's System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2019 2:17 pm

Good to hear. Should be a fun weekend.

Wondering about a couple things:

- I've seen in the forums discussions about loosening the receptacles and wall plates. I just wanted to clarify if all the receptacles in the room should be loosened or is it just the one that components are plugged in to? I do have a dedicated line.

- My daughter saw the bamboo chair mats in the listening room and asked why I don't do the whole room. I said, because it would cost about $900 and Mr Green hasn't suggested that. She said, "well why don't you ask him?" She apparently was not concerned about the cost. So, I'll ask. Does that seem like a viable option for the floor? I could get nine of these things and have about a foot or so of raw floor around the perimeter. I was thinking mechanically, its certainly not the same as a normal floor since there would be nine individual units. I would like to get at least two now since that would make my setup much easier. I'm rolling these things up and moving them in and out of the listening room every day.

I went ahead and replaced the rest of the foam so now the entire floor is covered again. Also, one of the rugs has been removed and the other one is mostly under the couch. The room sounds brighter now, but not too bright.

If someone would have gone into my room a year ago and made these changes, I would have been thrilled and probably looked no further, but I know more is possible now. The soundstage is pretty good. Its not wide but it does go just about to the front wall. I noticed the Betsy's need a little toe in to get the soundstage to improve. When they are facing directly forward, the soundstage is very shallow with everything coming only between the speakers.

Just a few more things to do and I'll be ready for the TunePak!
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Scott's System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2019 4:10 pm

Scott's System - Page 2 Betsy-floor-mat

Scott's System - Page 2 Equipment-shelf

Scott's System - Page 2 Aragon47k

Scott's System - Page 2 Maggie

Hi Scott

First I need to tell you this. You are on the verge of audio greatness! If everyone converting to Tuning would do what you are (posting on TuneLand) showing their conversions this hobby would (will) change forever for the adventurist listener. So thank you and spread the news to your listening friends.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Scott's System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2019 4:42 pm

Q & A

Scott

- I've seen in the forums discussions about loosening the receptacles and wall plates. I just wanted to clarify if all the receptacles in the room should be loosened or is it just the one that components are plugged in to? I do have a dedicated line.

mg

The answer is "all". And when I say "all" I mean every receptacle in the house, even the circuit panel. We can't see the fundamental forces (interactions) but they are what makes audio work.

"Fundamental interactions, also known as fundamental forces, are the interactions in physical systems that do not appear to be reducible to more basic interactions. There are four conventionally accepted fundamental interactions—gravitational, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear. Each one is understood as the dynamics of a field."

What you are in the process of doing is breaking down your system to the place of fundamental interacting. In other words, your moving past all the HEA mythical rabble babble and getting down to how electrical, mechanical and acoustical all work together as a team. Within this you get to design a system that is completely at your command. Loosening everything up is not where you will necessarily end up, depending on recording and taste, but loosening up allows the interaction to develop more fully so when you go to tune things in your range is more.

Scott

- My daughter saw the bamboo chair mats in the listening room and asked why I don't do the whole room. I said, because it would cost about $900 and Mr Green hasn't suggested that. She said, "well why don't you ask him?" She apparently was not concerned about the cost. So, I'll ask. Does that seem like a viable option for the floor?

mg

This depends on if you want to move slowly or if you have already taught yourself enough that it's time to get serious. Somewhere along this path one of two things will happen. One, you will decide to stop and go no further, blending the two worlds (HEA and Tuning) together or Two, you will decide to go all in and build a Tunable system full stop. I never know where that place is for someone so I try to act as a guard rail to keep you on the road without trying to be your driver. What I will say based on the speed you are moving at, don't be surprised if you ask me how to get you rolling on the big picture. I'm always here to talk about budgets and steps to be takin both on the site and in private as you move into my business realm (buying products or hiring me as your consultant). That really depends on you and the Tuning fever that's growing in you as you take each step. That's not a bait & switch btw Laughing but more of a testimony of what I see Tunees go through. At first they do more of a recommend step by step and maybe some DIY, and then once they start trying some of the authentic MG toys start to incorporate as much of the real thing as they can. Many of these folks though end up going all the way and we at that point see how little $$$ we can do the Tune for or some even saying they're having me do it all.

So yes to the bamboo, or, are you starting to look at a bigger picture end game.

Scott

I could get nine of these things and have about a foot or so of raw floor around the perimeter. I was thinking mechanically, its certainly not the same as a normal floor since there would be nine individual units. I would like to get at least two now since that would make my setup much easier. I'm rolling these things up and moving them in and out of the listening room every day.

mg

Can you picture yourself having a Tunable Floor? Again, I'm not talking budget or paying me, but more can you picture what a Tunable Floor would do?

Scott

I went ahead and replaced the rest of the foam so now the entire floor is covered again. Also, one of the rugs has been removed and the other one is mostly under the couch. The room sounds brighter now, but not too bright.

If someone would have gone into my room a year ago and made these changes, I would have been thrilled and probably looked no further, but I know more is possible now. The soundstage is pretty good. Its not wide but it does go just about to the front wall. I noticed the Betsy's need a little toe in to get the soundstage to improve. When they are facing directly forward, the soundstage is very shallow with everything coming only between the speakers.

Just a few more things to do and I'll be ready for the TunePak!

mg

I can see the wheels turning Idea . I'm here to take you as far and fast as you wish to go. A simple system, more tools than brands, I can already see is in your brain. The Maggie was a big step. You might even want to get a couple of them so you can decide on how far you want to go in tuning it and still be cat friendly. But, this was a major step forward. There are so many ways to tune this tool and the more you discover how very tunable this unit is the more it will help you to make other choices. Take a look at my Platforms and think about the materials. The 2100's casing is one that you can feel comfortable tuning in the case or out, I do recommend at least keeping the top off. These babies also love to be left on so you should have a talk with your cat (give us a name) and see if he or she can become a listening companion or at least how far they are going to let you go. Listening pets are some of the coolest audiophiles there are!
Back to top Go down
hifitone

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Scott's System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2019 9:48 pm

mg wrote:
The answer is "all". And when I say "all" I mean every receptacle in the house

Wait, that wasn't one of the choices Exclamation   OK, I'm not thinking big enough yet.

mg wrote:
I never know where that place is for someone so I try to act as a guard rail to keep you on the road without trying to be your driver.

You should have taken the keys away, I've been DUI for about a year!  Blasted right through that guard rail a few times.

mg wrote:

So yes to the bamboo, or, are you starting to look at a bigger picture end game.

Glad to hear that .  I'll get three right away and that'll cover the walkway and won't have to keep moving them back and forth.  My only concern here is that the Betsy's will never settle since I have to keep moving them out of the way every night.

Not 100% sure what you mean, but here goes.  Before I visited MGA, I decided this was the only room that I could use. It's too small according to some and they tell me to use a larger room, but it's this or nothing. Now MG tells me small rooms are good. So, I may have a small bedroom available in the not too distant future. Maybe a few years.  So, I am reluctant to do anything in here that is permanent, like a raised floor.  If I get the other room, I would be picking out the flooring and asking you for advice on that.  That bedroom would be a dedicated listening room for sure. I'd have a tv room just adjacent to it. So for now this room will have to do.

mg wrote:
Can you picture yourself having a Tunable Floor? Again, I'm not talking budget or paying me, but more can you picture what a Tunable Floor would do?

No, I don't think I can.  I can imagine a better soundstage, more layers, more detail, but I don't think I can comprehend that yet.  I remember where I was a month ago and where I am now. I can make another jump like that in my mind, but a tunable floor? not yet. Maybe after the TunePak is installed I will.

mg wrote:
A simple system, more tools than brands,

Funny you mention that.  I had a birthday last month and for my birthday I got a Sherwood 4105!  I meant to mention that before and forgot.  Cosmetically, it looks like I just picked it up from Best Buy.  I tested almost everything and it seems to work fine. It came with a remote, both antennas and the manual - everything but the box!

mg wrote:
The Maggie was a big step. You might even want to get a couple of them so you can decide on how far you want to go in tuning it and still be cat friendly. But, this was a major step forward. There are so many ways to tune this tool and the more you discover how very tunable this unit is the more it will help you to make other choices.

Yes, I think I will get another.  We used to have the slim model, but nobody can remember what happened to it. I think we got rid of it because it was not reading disks properly.  

I stripped this one down immediately and luckily Sonic knocked some sense back into me and now all units are back in their cases.

After I heard it, I promply put my streaming device away.  I use the DAC just for tv now, which by the way is impossible to watch unless its running through the stereo.

mg wrote:
Take a look at my Platforms and think about the materials. The 2100's casing is one that you can feel comfortable tuning in the case or out, I do recommend at least keeping the top off. These babies also love to be left on so you should have a talk with your cat (give us a name) and see if he or she can become a listening companion or at least how far they are going to let you go. Listening pets are some of the coolest audiophiles there are!

I noticed the maggie will auto turn off after a while.  Is that typical or do I need to set something to keep it on all the time?

I actually have three cats. An older tortoise shell. She doesn't come down here much at all, then a male orange tabby about 3 years old and a 4 year old gray and white tabby named Oscar. He's my guy. I got him for christmas when he was just a few weeks old and only weighed 1.5lbs.  He is 100% my cat and I consider him to be my first pet.  He is a little upset with you though. Since I got the maggie and put away my streaming player, I've got to get up more often to change cd's and he's got to get off my lap.  He's not happy about that, but he is thankful for the pleasant sounds lately.

Couple more things:

The room I'm in is directly below a bedroom and I'd like to be able to listen late into the night sometimes. I read that with a well treated room the volume will be higher at the listening position and quieter elsewhere, so I am looking forward to that beginning to happen and any tips you may have on it would be appreciated.

I am also adjacent to the furnace room and wonder if you have any tips for keeping the annoying furnace and A/C sounds from creeping in.

I've learned over the years to not trust my ears. I had audio research and magneplaner speakers so it has to sound good.  I remember back around 1990 some friends were over and a newcomer picked an album - Styx Pieces of Eight.  We played it and another friend said "Oh, that doesn't do this system justice". I think we had it backwards.  I probably haven't played that record since.  I've been listening to James Taylor five cd set tonight and I can say this little system knocks the socks off all that big iron.  I'm trusting my ears again.

I've been pondering the Betsys and what I'm getting out of them right now.  The guy that built them claims a sharp rolloff below 80hz and I measured them with them on the bamboo and the rolloff didn't even start until below 40hz.  I get the vibrations and the bamboo, but it still seems to defy physics.  I guess I'm trying to understand it a little better to help in the future.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Scott's System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2019 1:47 am

Hi Scott (Hi Oscar)

I'm enjoying our conversation. I think it will help others reading, some who have maybe been a little trapped in High End Audio, many of them for most of their listening lives. The knowledge you will be giving them is worth treasures. Hearing me talk is one thing, but hearing you (Tunees) talk I believe makes Tuning become something real enough to try. I was at a listener's tonight and we were talking about when the audio magazines were full of MGA, RoomTune and tuning talk and then (to him it seemed) it was like a light switch was turned off and never was fully turned back on. I reminded him that ads pay magazine's bills not good sound and how to get there. He (the place I was at tonight) has 2 of my systems and HEA makes no sense to him at all.

"OK, I'm not thinking big enough yet." Laughing Before long you'll be out back measuring space for the new addition Smile . Your neighbors will be peeking out their windows saying "What the heck is Scott doing".

Scott

"My only concern here is that the Betsy's will never settle since I have to keep moving them out of the way every night."

mg

That's heart breaking actually. Hopefully the day will come that will let you take advantage of settling.

Scott

"Not 100% sure what you mean, but here goes. Before I visited MGA, I decided this was the only room that I could use. It's too small according to some and they tell me to use a larger room, but it's this or nothing. Now MG tells me small rooms are good. So, I may have a small bedroom available in the not too distant future. Maybe a few years. So, I am reluctant to do anything in here that is permanent, like a raised floor. If I get the other room, I would be picking out the flooring and asking you for advice on that. That bedroom would be a dedicated listening room for sure. I'd have a tv room just adjacent to it. So for now this room will have to do."

mg

Yep the Tune kind of does away with the "Big Room" myth. All about the Pressure Zones and how we feed and control them.

Scott

"I noticed the maggie will auto turn off after a while. Is that typical or do I need to set something to keep it on all the time?"

mg

I keep mine playing so I've never seen it go off.

I'll post more in a bit!
Back to top Go down
hifitone

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Scott's System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2019 2:01 pm

Hi Scott (Hi Oscar)

Oscar says Hi
Scott's System - Page 2 Oscar-small

mg
I'm enjoying our conversation. I think it will help others reading, some who have maybe been a little trapped in High End Audio, many of them for most of their listening lives. The knowledge you will be giving them is worth treasures. Hearing me talk is one thing, but hearing you (Tunees) talk I believe makes Tuning become something real enough to try. I was at a listener's tonight and we were talking about when the audio magazines were full of MGA, RoomTune and tuning talk and then (to him it seemed) it was like a light switch was turned off and never was fully turned back on. I reminded him that ads pay magazine's bills not good sound and how to get there. He (the place I was at tonight) has 2 of my systems and HEA makes no sense to him at all.

Scott
I was always a HEA guy. To me that was indeed all there was.  Always trying to get the next most expensive component I could and then I'll have the sound I've been dreaming of......it didn't happen.  I also seem to have an uncanny knack for picking faulty components. I had a PS Audio integrated amp that didn't sound right, took it in to the retailer and he discovered a capacitor that one lead was just dangling in mid air. I've had linn kan drivers replaced, a Forte amp that was buzzing and the bias going out because of bad pots, I could go on.  I persisted though, but I'm glad to be getting off this merry-go-round.  I used to get both TAS and Sterephile and I can't recall any RoomTune discussions, but I was so focused on equipment that I would have just disregarded that. To me room treatments were drapes and pictures.

mg
"Before long you'll be out back measuring space for the new addition Smile . Your neighbors will be peeking out their windows saying "What the heck is Scott doing".

Scott
You know, if I had a bigger lot. Hmmm something to think about..

mg
That's heart breaking actually. Hopefully the day will come that will let you take advantage of settling.

Scott
I was afraid you would say that.  So I do have another idea to try.  If I move the speakers forward a bit more they wont be in the way. I could then run the wires under the chair mat so nobody trips over it. I know, not the best running cables under something.  The Betsys being so low probably would not do well in this configuration, but I do have a pair of Celestion 3's with stands that might work.  I might be a little too far out of the sidewall pressure zone.  I'll see how it sounds tonight.  Sorry, I'm just thinking out loud.

mg
Yep the Tune kind of does away with the "Big Room" myth. All about the Pressure Zones and how we feed and control them.

Scott
I shudder when I think I was actually considering getting a couple of these refrigerator sized bass traps.

mg
I keep mine playing so I've never seen it go off.

Scott
OK, I didn't think it was a good idea to play a cd 24/7.  I'll have to find the repeat button.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Scott's System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2019 2:47 pm

Hi Oscar!

Hi Scott

I see now, the door.

Scott's System - Page 2 Betsy-floor-mat

consider this for the speaker wire run

Scott's System - Page 2 M2073

Scott's System - Page 2 Sl2

Last edited by Michael Green on Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
hifitone

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Scott's System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2019 5:04 pm

OMG, that is too CUTE! Got my little Oscar on the couch.

You just made my day!
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Scott's System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2019 10:27 pm

There's nothing like having our bestest friend relaxing to the music we love. The connection is more than something special, it's a peaceful understanding and total trust that goes beyond what we as only human can produce on our own. Music and Oscar, kind of hard to top that I'm sure.

Let me know how the speaker placement goes.
Back to top Go down
hifitone

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Scott's System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2019 11:17 pm

mg
There's nothing like having our bestest friend relaxing to the music we love. The connection is more than something special, it's a peaceful understanding and total trust that goes beyond what we as only human can produce on our own. Music and Oscar, kind of hard to top that I'm sure.

scott
Oscar's a pretty cool little guy. He'll get up on the couch next to me and just stare at me waiting for me to move the laptop so he can have a seat. Pretty nice.  

mg
Let me know how the speaker placement goes.

scott
I was going to give it one more day but I think the results are in. My main concern was losing a significant amount of bass.  I don't think I'll have a problem. Although the signatures on the Celestions and Betsys are certainly different, the bass doesn't seem to be lacking.  Last night, the first time I moved them, it sounded fairly bad. The soundstage was compressed and most of it right between the speakers.  So tonight I let Gaucho run for a few hours and tried it again. The sound stage was still compressed but not as bad.  I decided to try some vinyl and was surprised that things opened up quite a bit. John Cougar's uh-huh sounded good and I've got Dire Straits on now. Soundstage is nearly as deep as before with the Betsy's next to the doors.  If the TunePak gets me a deeper and hopefully wider soundstage I'll be breaking new ground.

I just realized too that the glare that plagued the system for so long, then turned to just harshness is now gone. Sounds smooth and silky.

Also got word today that my wood window blind will be here Monday.

Stay tuned.  Woops, just realized what I said. Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Scott's System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2019 1:14 am

Wood window blind? You have been reading, very good study

There will be hits and misses alone the way till enough of the tools are in your possession. At that point you will probably back track a little with a new vibratory structure to work with.

Some of the things in your emails we will want to post here too so we can build on the process. BTW "trick of the tail" is second to only "selling England" for me. Knowing that you listen to "Trick" is a big help to me, as well all the music you are playing please list. Building a reference between us will be key.

I do have one question from the email. 80 feet of wire. Are you speaking 80 paired feet or 80 total. When I say paired I'm referring to the + and - as being a pair foot. 80 paired feet would mean you would have 40 feet per side of + and -. With your setup your probably thinking the right side being more than the left? And getting the wire and making your own lengths? Or are you thinking 80 total cutting it down to your own lengths? If that's the case you would be talking 40 feet paired.

for example

Scott's System - Page 2 M2074

As far as the Maggie's sound we'll want to get you some good sounding Platforms and Tuning Blocks. At that point the CDP will probably out do the vinyl.

Something like this is pretty sweet.
Scott's System - Page 2 Maggie1

or

Scott's System - Page 2 M2075
Back to top Go down
hifitone

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Scott's System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2019 12:01 pm

mg
Wood window blind? You have been reading,

scott
Ah, yes, I can't take credit. It was Sonic that gave me the suggestion

mg
There will be hits and misses alone the way till enough of the tools are in your possession. At that point you will probably back track a little with a new vibratory structure to work with.

scott
Absolutely agree.  Things just never progress in a linear fashion.

mg
Some of the things in your emails we will want to post here too so we can build on the process. BTW "trick of the tail" is second to only "selling England" for me. Knowing that you listen to "Trick" is a big help to me, as well all the music you are playing please list. Building a reference between us will be key.

scott
I do have "selling England". It didn't really click with me, but it's been a long time since I've heard it.  

mg
I do have one question from the email. 80 feet of wire. Are you speaking 80 paired feet or 80 total. When I say paired I'm referring to the + and - as being a pair foot. 80 paired feet would mean you would have 40 feet per side of + and -. With your setup your probably thinking the right side being more than the left? And getting the wire and making your own lengths? Or are you thinking 80 total cutting it down to your own lengths? If that's the case you would be talking 40 feet paired.

scott
I have a 40 foot run for each channel (its a long way around the door!), so two 40 foot pairs would do.  I only asked in case it makes a difference which type to get.  If type 1 should only be used for runs up to say 25 feet, I'd have to choose a different type.

mg
As far as the Maggie's sound we'll want to get you some good sounding Platforms and Tuning Blocks. At that point the CDP will probably out do the vinyl.

scott
The maggie probably already beats my vinyl.  The way I've got it cabled now is being totally unfair to the maggie.

The platforms look great.  Which to get...

Continuing to ponder...
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Scott's System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2019 7:20 pm

Hi Scott

Once we re-configure your stage Selling England will take on new meaning, but then so will Trick. 2 amazing recordings!

I'm more clear now on the wire runs, thanks. Read Tj's thread and see what you think about the sound of the "White". Also if we go with the Type1 or 2 we'll let things burn in nicely and if we need to make a change we'll just make a switch. Honestly I fall in love with each Type using my setup. For me it's all a matter of how I choose to tune. The Rev Combo gives so much flexibility used with the Maggie that I find there's no where I can't go.

btw don't know if you do facebook but here's my page if you ever want to follow

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1764861045

On facebook I give more of a daily account of what I'm listening to. I like that you give your listening accounts here on TuneLand. Makes a ton of difference to follow the sound.

Back to top Go down
Sonic Voyager

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Scott's System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2019 9:52 am

Greetings Scott

Oscar – is he Siberian? The furry one with me is a Ragdoll (although an uncharacteristically grumpy one).

Sonic

Back to top Go down
hifitone

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Scott's System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2019 7:36 pm

Got the TunePak the other day.  I'll post some comments in another day or so. Very good so far.  I can't stop fiddling with stuff and let things settle.  Once I get the below issue sorted out, I should be good for at least a few days in a row.

The problem I ran into:
I decided to switch over to the Sherwood and noticed some fuzzy sounding vocals when playing Melody Gardot The Absense.  This was on the song Amalia. I only noticed it on her vocal, the rest of the music sounded ok.  So I switched everything back to my other amp and it sounded fine.  I tried the Sherwood again, but with a different input. It sounded ok this time.  So with the cd onnected to the vcr input I hear some fuzzy vocals, but when its connected to the cd input, it seems ok.  So, Im wondering if I could have a bad unit or if anyone else had this happen.  I just set it up this morning and it had been running about 6 hours before I sat down to listen.

I read Tj's thread about the white. Sounds like what I'm looking for. Are those a "special" cable or is that the new norm?  

I currently do not have a facebook account, but it looks like I need to get one!

Regarding Oscar, I'm not sure if he's a siberian. He sure looks like one, but he's small at just under 8 pounds.  Speaking of grumpy, one of mine sure is. She never liked me to be sure. I stay away from her.

Last edited by hifitone on Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tjbhuler

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Scott's System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2019 9:49 pm

Hi there Scott,

Sorry for the late intro been very busy with all the things been happening lol! Glad to have you here in tuneland !! Am happy to see your tuning journey. Love that you have quickly mustered up the tunes and applying them to your setup. You are in good hands with Michael and guidance by other amazing tunees like Sonic and Rotelguy.

Just saw that you read my thread on the "Whites" its an amazing cable. The first thing you will be getting is an amazing huge soundstage that will sweep you of the floor. Im still amazed on how snappy they sound with amazing presence and very life like sounding acoustics. I have made my own Whites Power Cord too but its still being tested, so hopefully by next month I can post up some impressions on them in my thread.

Tj
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Scott's System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2019 1:10 pm

Hi Scott

Wanted to double check on the drawing.
Scott's System - Page 2 Sl3

You have doors on both sides? Which way do they swing?

study
Back to top Go down
hifitone

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Scott's System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2019 1:13 pm

Hi Michael,

They are both pocket doors.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Scott's System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2019 1:19 pm

Scott's System - Page 2 Sl4
Back to top Go down
hifitone

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Scott's System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2019 1:28 pm

Looks good!
Back to top Go down
hifitone

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Scott's System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2019 1:43 pm

I'm not sure if it matters but I have a 4'x4' window centered on the back wall. There is also a ledge along the back wall about 3" deep and going the entire length. Also, got the wood blind installed last night.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Scott's System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2019 1:57 pm

Hi Scott

Yes, everything matters. Pictures mean a ton. Seeing every little part of the space for me is perfect cause I can then walk around the room much easier.

study

People sometimes say "did I send too much", but for me there isn't too much when it comes to the space.
Back to top Go down
hifitone

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Scott's System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2019 8:54 pm

Hey TJ, thanks for chiming in. Sure am glad to be here. I'm finally on the right path.

The TunePak has been installed since Thursday and I installed the wood window blind last night. Things are taking shape. After trying several different speakers with mixed results, I put the Betsy's back in. The other speakers all had way too much bass. I had the Sherwood set to -8db at one point and it was tolerable. With the Betsy's I've got it set to flat and the sound is pretty balanced. I was afraid of having too much treble attenuation with the Betsys so close to the listening position. I tilted them back and toed them in a little bit and that has helped. One thing the Betsy's did better than my other speakers is image. I now have what I would call a sound stage. I'm not hearing anything that is annoying anymore. Used to be bothered by a lot of midrange glare especially.

Some specific song notes:

With the Celestion speakers:

Initially when I tried the magnavox the sounstage was right in front of my face and it was horrible. Now it is well back, almost all the way to the front wall. I'm hearing guitars, vocals, etc from the corners of the room and sounds coming from about 3 feet behind the speakers. I suppose it could be the Gaucho cd or it just needed time.

On Melody Gardot, the rhythm section was wonderful. I could hear them suddenly stop, then Melody would come in and the bass would start up again.

On Linda Ronstadt's Rivers of Babylon it starts with a male singer. His voice sounds like its coming directly from the right speaker, then Linda comes in just right of center, then another male vocalist, between the left speaker and center about 3 ft from the front wall. If the first guy would have been toward the back, it would have been awesome. I'm wondering if maybe that's an indication of a problem with the right channel setup.

Lifehouse - this was my test for glare. Well, no more glare. Guitars sounded nice as well as vocals all the way through.

John Mayer's Continuum - Piano had good attack and decay. Sound stage is getting bigger. The guitar is almost all the way in the left corner.

Betsys are back and Sherwood is 100% in use:

Joe Cocker sounded great on vinyl. Easy to place vocals and instruments.

Edwin McCain didn't have a lot of depth most everything coming from along the front wall.

Doobie Brother Tolouse Street on vinyl was just plain fun. I'm not waiting for my favorite part anymore since it all just sounds good.

Dire Straits also on vinyl had more depth than McCain.

Had a similar situation with Eric Clapton on Lay Down Sally as I did with Linda Ronstadt. Otherwise, sounded excellent.

Overall, I think the vinyl sounds a bit dull, whereas the cd sounds right.

In a word, "thrilled" probably says it best.

Now to figure out what to do next.... Oh wait just remembered, I saw some more screws on the Sherwood's back panel that need to be loosened up....

thank you all
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Scott's System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2019 3:54 pm

How is the Sherwood settling in?
Back to top Go down
hifitone

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Scott's System - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2019 6:11 pm

The Sherwood is settling in nicely. I de-torqued the screws underneath the unit several days ago and found a few more inside the unit to do as well. I mentioned a funny sounding thing with Linda Ronstadt's Rivers of Babylon earlier where the first singer was pushed all the way into the right speaker. That is better now - he's about 3 feet or so behind the right speaker and the other male singer and Linda are placed about the same as before. So I think I may still have something going on with the right channel. The other thing I notice is that in order to get the main vocal which is usually centered to sound centered I have to sit a bit closer to the left speaker. The two issues are most likely related. I haven't started to dig in and figure it out yet. Hoping its not the Sherwood. I thought I'd try a cable swap first and see how it goes.

I still don't have any bamboo flooring. With the change in speaker position I am rethinking the size and quantity.

Regarding the dullness of the vinyl rig, I read where using sorbothane feet can kill the sound. Well that was apparently the problem. Once I got rid of those the sound came alive again. I was considering replacing my turntable with a Rega P1 hoping it would be more tunable than my current heavy table and use blocks, cones or whatever makes sense to tune it. I could swap the stock arm with the one I have now which I'm sure would be loads better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scott's System   Scott's System - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Scott's System
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next