Our Website  HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

High Mass vs Low Mass (class D)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

High Mass vs Low Mass (class D) Empty
PostSubject: High Mass vs Low Mass (class D)   High Mass vs Low Mass (class D) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2019 11:23 am

High Mass vs Low Mass (class D) M2065

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/digital-low-mass-classd-less-expensive-let-it-happen#1692865

I am there and it seems this changes everything.

I've witnessed this first hand with speakers, with cables, with CD players even with rooms, but with amplifiers I've always had to take them apart to get them down to their performance core and then I would find that low mass would out perform high. When I would share this with folks on other forums or in person they would end up falling back on their defensive posture of "you have to take them apart" and build their reasoning around that idea missing the reality of what was being said. Even I missed it to a degree when our own Bill333 presented me the opportunity to explore for myself. What was it in my mind that made me pass over the obvious is something I will have to figure out, but I am here now to say I am totally onboard this ride!

This last several years I have been able to explore high mass again by bringing it back into my listening world. I can honestly say I have given it a fair shake once again. In doing so I have enjoyed each components individual strengths and experienced the problem of "Fix Sound" as well. In the end the problem (problems) made me conclude that I would need hundreds of rooms available to me in order to enjoy fully my music collection. And still, at the end of that day wanting to make a sonic change would be so hard to do to my liking. I have always been a listening creature of flexibility and will never be anything different from that. The inconvenience of having to plug & play is never going to suit me and my desires. For those who defend their position of not wanting to tune I have to chuckle because they have played the most painful tuning pursuit game of all "changing out their whole system". I have called this the "revolving door" for as long as I have been in HEA.

Back to top Go down
https://tuneland.forumotion.com
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

High Mass vs Low Mass (class D) Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Mass vs Low Mass (class D)   High Mass vs Low Mass (class D) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2019 12:36 pm

High Mass vs Low Mass (class D) M2066

Let me be straight up with you, I could care less who wins the chip race. That may sound aloof to some but it's the truth for me. The age of the new amplifier is just beginning and that to me is what counts, and is very exciting to watch in real time. We have gone from something that was basically a noise machine to a new technology that is going to offer the best sound ever, and do it in a way that suits tuning perfectly. Audio part sizes have always been a problem in audio components. Bigger parts create bigger fields which over power the smaller fields created by smaller parts. This was something we discovered by doing our parts placement experiments back in the 90's. Audio parts too close together cause distorting of the audio signal.

an example
High Mass vs Low Mass (class D) M2067
smaller parts, more in size with the function of audio signal passing through the audio chain

Lets take transformers for example. Transformers in among themselves are not evil. What is evil is when they are placed too close to other audio parts. Modern amp designs using smaller transformers solves the noise problem not only with amplifiers but also CDPs and other components.

Back to top Go down
https://tuneland.forumotion.com

High Mass vs Low Mass (class D)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Michael Green Audio Forum :: Audio Chat :: General Audio Chat, staying in tune-
Jump to: