Michael Green Audio Forum

https://tuneland.forumotion.com

Our Website  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

majnun70's System

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

majnun70's System Empty
PostSubject: majnun70's System   majnun70's System Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2013 8:59 am

majnun70's System M102

majnun70's System M103

majnun70's System M100

majnun70's System M101

Hi Michael,

Thank you for taking the time.  I've attached some pictures and measurements.  The first picture is of the back wall (the wall behind my intended listening position) where you see the lower ceiling; the second is of the front wall (where I intend to place my gear and speakers).  As you may notice, both sides have a 4-feet tall, 7-inch wide ledge thus making even these walls an "uneven" vertical surface.

I anticipate placing the speakers about 6 feet from the front wall (employing a bit of the 1/3 Rule) with a yet undetermined listening position (probably 5-6 feet from speakers).  Having said that, I'm open to reversing the location of the speakers and listening position such that the speakers are under the lower ceiling instead of the higher ceiling, if you think that would sound better.  In either case, I'll cover the windows with thick curtains.

This used to be a 10'x9'x9' room (almost a cube) that I extended out to 17'.  As you can see, I had no choice but to extend out to a space that had a lower ceiling (due to ducts).

So my questions are:

1) Should I place CornerTunes on all six ceiling corners?

2) Should I place an EchoTune at a side midseam relative to each ceiling height or just one at the midpoint of the room (and thus ignoring the fact that there are two ceiling heights)?

3) How should I use TuneStrips in this room?  I had previously vertically attached them in the corners below the CornerTunes, but the ledges on the front and back walls make it difficult locate properly.

4) Does it matter whether the speakers are placed under the taller or shorter ceiling?

I currently have the TunePak, but would be willing to acquire additional pieces, if you think they would make a difference in my room.

thanks,

Last edited by Michael Green on Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

majnun70's System Empty
PostSubject: Re: majnun70's System   majnun70's System Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2013 9:15 am

Hi A, welcome to TuneLand

The first question I have is, is this the correct door placement?

majnun70's System M104
Back to top Go down
Robert Harrison

majnun70's System Empty
PostSubject: Re: majnun70's System   majnun70's System Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2013 12:43 pm

Hey, A,

Just saying howdy and welcome to TuneLand. My two cents (and sometimes, that's all my advice is worth) is NO THICK CURTAINS. That will defeat you before you start. Mr. Green and Sonic Beaver (maybe others here) will fill you in on better options. As for me, I put cardboard over my window.

I have been dealing with a split level ceiling in my room, but in my case, with the split going sideways instead of back to front. I presume things will be easier for you to deal with.

Robert
Back to top Go down
majnun70

majnun70's System Empty
PostSubject: Re: majnun70's System   majnun70's System Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2013 2:52 pm

Michael Green wrote:
Hi A, welcome to TuneLand

The first question I have is, is this the correct door placement?

majnun70's System M104
Hi Michael,

Yes, that is correct.

And thanks for the welcome, Robert.

thanks,
andrew
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

majnun70's System Empty
PostSubject: Re: majnun70's System   majnun70's System Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2013 4:31 pm

Hi Andrew

I would do a typical RT setup to start with

majnun70's System M105

But I would consider using EchoTunes instead of TuneStrips in the coners and I would think about doing an EchoTune front back and right left midseams. This would mean a total of 4CT's and 8ET's or SQ's.

I wouldn't worry about the soffit for now.

What is your system and listening chair like?
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

majnun70's System Empty
PostSubject: Re: majnun70's System   majnun70's System Icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 9:18 am

Greetings Andrew

Welcome to the Tune!

A couple of suggestions to consider if I may after reading the comments from Robert.

Thick curtains are nasty things because I tried them in my room and they created voids and discontinuities in the soundfield. Thick carpets too. Builders paper on glass is good, so are bamboo blinds from Ikea on windows but anything thicker than the thinnest curtains are problematic.

Also if you have a ceiling that slopes upward along the length of the room, I would put the speakers at the end where the ceiling is lower. Placing the speakers the other way causes an unnatural constricting of the rear ambience by reducing the height. OTOH speakers at the lower end allow you to tune the focus and then the ambient field can fan out towards the rear which can sound realistic.

Learn the BOO! test, walking round the room saying "Boo!" at different pitches and clapping your hands or striking a small hand drum. Do you hear a dead sound, resonate but controlled or a ringy sound? At what pitches? For your wall with the window, two corner tunes can go up and two tunestrips in the corners above the ledge.

Usually in a room the lower portion is less problematical because of furniture and people who are large waterfilled bags and good dampers.

Do ask questions on this site, we're here to jump in and help.

Sonic

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

majnun70's System Empty
PostSubject: Re: majnun70's System   majnun70's System Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

majnun70's System
Page 1 of 1