Michael Green Audio Forum

https://tuneland.forumotion.com

Our Website  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tuning a garage

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
tmsorosk

Tuning a garage  Empty
PostSubject: Tuning a garage    Tuning a garage  Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2014 5:06 pm

I was wondering if anyone here had experience tuning a garage . The biggest issue is that this type of area is inherently dusty as I still use it as a conventional garage , parking cars cutting wood etc , so soft absorbers are out of the question . The room is symmetrical and about 20' x 26' x 8' so there are many large reflective walls . The system is set up high center on a long wall . Unfortunately the listening position is in a corner opposite the audio system . This is the smallest of my three audio systems and consists of Paradigm Anniversary Inspiration speakers , an Ayre AX7mp integrated amp , an Audio Research DAC 8 , for source's I use either a digital cable box or an I-pod and Arcam Ipod dock. Also been thinking about getting Sonys HapZ1es music server .

Thanks in advance - Tim
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

Tuning a garage  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tuning a garage    Tuning a garage  Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2014 5:20 pm

Hi Tim

Welcome to TuneLand

Any pictures?

You might want to start with tuning the corners of the room. Since you do wood working and this is not your main listening I feel fairly comfortable we can tune your place and not have to have the voiced wood the way I would do it for inside your place. Meaning if you wanted to do the work I could show you how to do a DIY version that would work fine if you wanted to make it. The other way would be purchase PZC's face board but because of the dust if you made your own back part you could take the fiberglass out of it and replace it after it got too dusty.
Back to top Go down
tmsorosk

Tuning a garage  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tuning a garage    Tuning a garage  Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2014 8:06 pm

I've tried my best , I can't get pictures to download . sorry .
Back to top Go down
tmsorosk

Tuning a garage  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tuning a garage    Tuning a garage  Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2014 8:34 pm

Trying again
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

Tuning a garage  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tuning a garage    Tuning a garage  Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2014 11:05 pm

Hi Tim

Do you want to send them to me and I'll do it?

mgtune@yahoo.com
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

Tuning a garage  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tuning a garage    Tuning a garage  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2014 1:39 am

Hot off the press,

Tuning a garage  M136
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

Tuning a garage  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tuning a garage    Tuning a garage  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2014 10:09 pm

Hi Tim

This reminds me so much of my outdoor system. I live in Vegas so I have an outdoor living room. When I first setup the system it was just going be for noise but it didn't take long for me to start playing.

I think you would really be surprised at what you got if you found how far these want to be apart and then figured out a way to mount them there. There's a lot of creative speaker mounts these days and you could probably make your own.

Also it looks like you have a drywall wall and ceiling and I bet if you found a nice place on the wall you would get I pretty nice video screen type stage probably with some punch as well. Keep in mind if you make your own wall stands to sit them on out of a good sounding piece of wood it could be nice.
Back to top Go down
tmsorosk

Tuning a garage  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tuning a garage    Tuning a garage  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2014 11:53 pm

I've been thinking about better speaker placement as well , the reason I haven't moved them is because the box there in now has a screen cover that comes down and protects them from saw dust and other rubble thats flying around . I suppose two single box stands with some sort of cover could be fashioned .
Good idea , thanks for the help .
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

Tuning a garage  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tuning a garage    Tuning a garage  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2014 7:52 pm

My Pleasure!

It would also be cool to have you join us up in Home Audio. You could start your own thread and we could follow your listening adventures with you.
Back to top Go down
tmsorosk

Tuning a garage  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tuning a garage    Tuning a garage  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 7:29 am

I just realized I may have posted this thread in the wrong category, if are host would like to move it that would be okay by me .

I spent some time this weekend tinkering with the garage system , moving things around , dressing cables and trying to find a way to relocate the speakers so there further apart . No matter what I did I ran into many problems trying to separate the speakers , so in the end I decided to move the speakers as far apart as possible in there current safety enclosure .

The speakers are close to the ceiling ( the tweeter is 12" away ) and angled slightly down, I'm getting a slight bit to much high frequency bite with some music . Would putting a soft wood on the ceiling in front of the speakers make an improvement ? I've also seen multi depth wood defusers , would this be the right way to treat this problem ?

Thanks in advance - Tim
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tuning a garage  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tuning a garage    Tuning a garage  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tuning a garage
Page 1 of 1