Michael Green Audio Forum

https://tuneland.forumotion.com

Our Website  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Grannyring's System

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

Grannyring's System Empty
PostSubject: Grannyring's System   Grannyring's System Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2018 6:16 am

TuneLand welcomes Grannyring!

"I am Grannyring on Audiogon. I won’t be able to place treatments in our living room that get noticed.

I can however use blocks and perhaps small platforms under my speakers. I will send you pics of my gear rack and footers/spikes under the speakers. I mostly use Herbies Tenderfeat.

I just changed my speakers from Living Voice to Dali Epicon 6s. The rest of my system is still the same as shown under virtual systems on Agon.  

Dali Epicon 6 speakers

Lyngdorf 2170 all in one powered dac with room correction

DIY cabling all using my favorite wire which is cotton covered tinned, stranded copper wire from Duelund, Western Electric NOS, and vintage tone wire used for guitar pick-ups etc...My USB cables are also made of this vintage tone cotton over tinned copper wire.

Tricked out Windows based server/streamer with SOTM USB card powered my an LPS. Ifi Micro USB 3 reclocker/filter power by an LPS. Use Roon with Tidal as well as some 1200 ripped CDs

My wife writes the blog - The Audiophile’s Wife - and she loves the look of the Dali Epicon 6 using them as part of her Facebook page. I decided to buy a set for our living room for her pleasure as well as mine.  I upgraded the crossover to give a sound more to my liking using paper, foil, and wax capacitor types etc...The speaker is now full bodied, refined, and has improved tone.

Still want more midrange warmth and ability to play all recordings with good resulting sound quality. Not quite there, but close.

The speakers are spiked into Herbies fat gliders which are on our hardwood floor. The floor is not on a slab, but over a crawl space."

Grannyring's System Gr1

Grannyring's System Gr2

Grannyring's System Wd5

Last edited by Michael Green on Fri May 25, 2018 7:51 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Grannyring's System   Grannyring's System Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2018 7:21 am

more pictures

Grannyring's System Wd1

Grannyring's System Wd2

Grannyring's System Wd3

Grannyring's System Wd4
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Grannyring's System   Grannyring's System Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2018 7:38 am

Inside of Lyngdorf 2170

Grannyring's System Wd6

Upgraded Dali crossover .... yes too tight.... wanted outboard but no more additional boxes allowed in the living room.

Grannyring's System Wd7
Back to top Go down
grannyring

PostSubject: Re: Grannyring's System   Grannyring's System Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2018 3:56 pm

Love to hear some recommendations based on what you see here.  My wife really doesn't want additional stuff on the walls. Perhaps blocks, cones, tweaks popular here and other ideas. Thanks all. Platforms under the speakers if not very large...footprint that is.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Grannyring's System   Grannyring's System Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2018 5:05 pm

Hey Grannyring, great to see you Exclamation

Talk to your wife and see what size footprint will work for you two. The smaller the footprint the more I have to temp-a-cure the wood. All that means is me picking out super low mass pieces and really dry them out good while baking. The more light weight they are to start with, the lower I can get the tone.

Tell me more about your sound when you get a chance so I can get a feel for it, thanks.
Back to top Go down
rotelguy

rotelguy

PostSubject: Re: Grannyring's System   Grannyring's System Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2018 5:25 pm

Welcome to TuneLand Smile

You've got a nice looking room. It looks very comfortable. I like the hardwood flooring and rug that's a nice combination. MG will hook you up we have his whole system, well 2 of them now and it has changed our world bigtime. After the first couple of tunes we were hooked for life. We have friends that come over almost every weekend and listening to music has always been a big deal around here. The listening chairs in both the living room and listening room are always full. I think you'll have a good time on TuneLand, don't be shy Cool
Back to top Go down
grannyring

PostSubject: Re: Grannyring's System   Grannyring's System Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2018 4:43 pm

My system is balanced top to bottom and offers decent meat on the bones tonality. Could be better. Not thin sound, not bright and not fatiguing. The resolution is great and I am not a resolution freak really. Very low distortion and smooth and clean sounding. The stage is well delineated and music never seems to sounds jumbled, thick or confused no matter the volume.

I listen at lower to moderate levels ranging from 65-85db weighted C average from my listening position.

I wish some of music sounded better like older Van Morrison recordings and some rock and Motown stuff from the 60s and 70s. Some of these recording just lack bass, bloom and sound compressed,tiny and thin. My system don't sound that way on most decent to good recordings.

I wish I could feel the body of instruments more...you know the resonance of instrument and voice. I would like notes to last longer and with more natural/real tone. I don't like fast sounding systems and mine is not, but could be improved. I prefer a little more reach out and touch you intimacy. I want to be inside the event more and less outside of it and wanting more connection.
Back to top Go down
grannyring

PostSubject: Re: Grannyring's System   Grannyring's System Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2018 4:55 pm

Platform under speakers could be 12x20 inches. What about tuning blocks under components and rack? I will remove the zip tie on the upgraded parallel output caps in my lyngdorf 2170.
Back to top Go down
Sonic Voyager

PostSubject: Re: Grannyring's System   Grannyring's System Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2018 12:46 am

Greetings Grannyring

Welcome to Tuneland cheers

That is a nice system you got and the Duelund tinned copper cables are great aren't they? It looks like you are using the DCA12GA. Sonic is a fan of tinned cables using Michael's cable products of this type wherever I can in my system preferring them to pure copper stuff.

For years, Sonic (in my existence as Sonic Beaver) been asking listeners on this Forum to give a dB read out of their listening levels. And you are the FIRST!

65 - 85dB C average is where Sonic is too -- more like 65-82dB C, with the majority of listening done in mostly in the 70s. I recently was at an audio get together round the new Yamaha NS5000s. The group were surprised how softly I was setting my playback levels, and I of how high their levels ("I go to jazz bars and I want the same kick and punch from my system" say they) to the point where the soundstage vanishes and the room starts to glare.

What I learnt from Michael is a well tuned system and room can give you musical satisfaction at many volume levels as well as lifting the acoustic overload point of the room so the system can play louder if the owner wishes. Right now I am listening to a violin, viola da gamba and harpsichord trio play sonatas by Jean Ferry Rebel (FLAC) and the level is in the high 60dBs yet the viola da gamba has weight and the harpsichord is clear.

I hope we have opportunity to exchange many ideas on this Forum. Do say hi to the Missus -- I follow and like her blog.

Sonic

Back to top Go down
grannyring

PostSubject: Re: Grannyring's System   Grannyring's System Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2018 9:06 am

I like the Duelund stranded and tinned copper wire. I am surprised I do as I had always preferred solid core, but this wire is different. Nice vintage tone. I removed the cable ties from the caps in my Lyngdorf 2170. I also treated the tops of caps, relays, transformers, chips etc.. with Total Contact which is amazing stuff and the single best tweak I have ever encountered in a music system. Do a search on Audiogon Forums and read the one long thread on it. Just astounded by what this stuff does.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Grannyring's System   Grannyring's System Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2018 1:01 pm

Hi Grannyring

12" x 20", that's a small platform Exclamation

I'm going to look at some Low Tone for Bill333 in a few minutes, let me see what I find.

On the LTR Blocks I recommend an assortment of my choosing, plus 4 to 8 stock MGA Blocks. Once we get rolling on the wood you can describe to me the flavors of the system at that point and I can work on finding the tones you want. I'm pretty customized with the members here on TuneLand so if any time you want to go with more of the stock sounds let me know. The stock blocks look much better than the ones I do vs the custom ones I voice myself.

The description you gave of the cables helps me with your sound. So any remarks you make like that are helpful. I do tinned and stranded but only when it's a particular project, so I'm up on the sound your talking about with the Duelund.

well, off to the lumberyard Cool
Back to top Go down
wondersound

PostSubject: Re: Grannyring's System   Grannyring's System Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2018 10:12 pm

Hello grannyring

I remember you from audiogon and wanted to stop by and say hi. A big change going from there to here. I wish I would have found tuneland years ago.

best regards
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Grannyring's System   Grannyring's System Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2018 2:09 pm

Hi Grannyring

Stopping by to see how things are going. Let me know if you wish to play around with the Platforms or Tuning Blocks. Our wood curing season is in full swing so if you see anything you want to try just let me know.

take care Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grannyring's System   Grannyring's System Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grannyring's System
Page 1 of 1