Michael Green Audio Forum

https://tuneland.forumotion.com

Our Website  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Music reviews

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

Music reviews Empty
PostSubject: Music reviews   Music reviews Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 10:03 am

Give a music review on pieces you have listened to in depth or even first impressions.

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

Music reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music reviews   Music reviews Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 10:24 am

Halo 3

Music reviews Mig21

Until recently I didn't know what Halo 3 was. Shows how out of touch I am. After a couple minutes of listening I put myself in the listening chair and didn't move till the end.

This is one dynamic piece of music with a soundstage that is captivating. Almost creeping and dark with hints of relief these songs kept me on the edge of my seat, or more the feeling of pulling the blanket up over my head from fear. It's that intense. I hopped up on Amazon to find more about the music.

one of the reviews

"It starts out with Luck, a quiet, noble track tinged with reminiscent sadness. Then, the tracks slowly build in intensity. Halfway up this build is Out of Shadow, taking full advantage of stereo sound and electronic beat to create a subtle but extremely pleasing rhythm. Later comes a peak, This Is the Hour, a heroic variation on the main Halo theme, which then subsides into chilling darkness for the track Dread Intrusion. However, the music becomes more positive and epic through Follow Our Brothers, Farthest Outpost, Behold a Pale Horse, and Three Gates. The creepy beginning of Black Tower segues into an sad and emotional second half, followed soon by the touching Keep What You Steal. The beautiful choral music at the beginning of Halo Reborn is echoed in Greatest Journey, which then becomes the main Halo theme. And boy, what a theme it is. Greatest Journey is the climax of the entire album. Tribute and Roll Call have the general feeling of victory, but not without sadness and sacrifice and remembrance. Wake Me When You Need Me is a quiet, emotional track, echoing many of the tones of Luck and bringing the album full-circle. Finally, extras are tacked onto the end, including the beautiful track Never Forget, a slow and emotional mix of three subtle themes."

This is a fantastic effort from O'Donnell and Salvatori. A true head trip. And, if your into listening to space this is mind thriller.
Back to top Go down
beetlejuice

beetlejuice

Music reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music reviews   Music reviews Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 4:42 am

This is what I need. Never can have too much great music.

beetle power
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

Music reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music reviews   Music reviews Icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2012 12:04 pm

Was listening tonight to Italain Baroque Trumpet Music (Keavy, Steele-Perkins with the Parley of Instruments) Hyperion.

The trumpets are in good balance with the string ensemble. The valveless brass is clear and a little dry while the strings sound exactly like violins, violas and the bass gut-strung.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

Music reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music reviews   Music reviews Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 2:04 pm

Sonic

I was wondering which recording of Respighi's Roman Trilogy do you like the best (CD please)? This is one of my favs but I've not heard all the different renderings. I love what Lane did with Telarc when they used The Birds but what do you like for the trilogy?

I'm listening to the trilogy now and was wondering.
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

Music reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music reviews   Music reviews Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 8:54 am

Hi Michael

Sonic doesn’t have any works by Respighi in my music collection Shocked The last time I heard any music from this composer was The Birds (a Mercury reissue on CD) which was used by an audiophile to test his system. The system was a British BBC monitor speaker, listened up close about 4 feet away, toed-in so the speakers' axes crossed about 6 inches in front of the listener. Trying to recreate the Blumlein set up even though Mercury recordings were made by three space-omni mikes. After that experience, Sonic didn't buy any Respighi recordings I am afraid. But never say never.

Listening tonight to J Brahms’ Sonatas for viola and piano and Trio in A minor for viola, cello and piano (Power, Hugh, Crawford-Phillips on Hyperion) and Sonny Rollins' Saxophone Colossus (the Rudy Van Gelder remastered CD).

Sonic

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

Music reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music reviews   Music reviews Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 5:03 am

Oh that's funny! As Bob would say "don't let fear stop ya" Laughing Respighi is beautiful!

Boy some of those audiophiles can ruin the fun.

I'm listening to Yo Yo Ma doing Bach cello suites.
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

Music reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music reviews   Music reviews Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 10:44 am

Listening to Janos Starker playing Zoltan Kodaly's Sonata for Unaccompanied Cello Op. 8 (Delos)

My most loved recording of Bach's cello suites is by Anner Bylsma.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Music reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music reviews   Music reviews Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Music reviews
Page 1 of 1