Michael Green Audio Forum

https://tuneland.forumotion.com

Our Website  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants

Go down 
+2
Sonic.beaver
Michael Green
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
hcooper99

hcooper99

Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants   Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 5:01 pm

Hi Guys (and Gals!),

Harold here at Michael's.  We have mostly been working on new products - platforms, floor standing PZC's, and SPEAKERS!  Yes we have been working on what we are calling the "Music 6" for now (real name TBD).  Came up with a stain that we think will be great!  Hope to get a pair done while I'm here but time always goes so fast....

Finally put on a CD I brought with me (first listening since I have been here), one of my old faves, "Yello" the album "Baby".  Don't know how familiar everyone is, but most listeners know them - Boris and Deter from Germany.  So versatile - lots of vocal theartrics, humor, and all types of music.  Let me tell you - I have NEVER heard it sound like this!  Even Michael is blown away.  

Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 M215

Huge soundstage that you can "see" into.  Percussive sounds that I could never make out are now fleshed out as hollow tubes of verying sizes.  It's a trip!  We are going to let it settle in and come back tomorrow and listen.

Bye for now.  Cheers!

Harold
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants   Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2014 5:23 pm

listening with Harold

WOW! Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown

Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 M216

Looking forward to his comments but this is one bad A** recording and I don't swear much. Instant, and I mean instant, stage and I would have to also say one of the most believable stages I have heard, and I'm not kidding. Guys you need to run out and get this recording if you don't have it. I will be telling more but this is one amazing piece of music.

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants   Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2014 10:15 pm

We have moved on to

Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 M217

For me after having my head twisting and turning to Yello and Gate, it was kinda the right move to settle into Lucinda. The soundstage took on a completely different space with this recording than the last two and I was first a little tempted to tweak, but after a bit of settling I started getting into this groove. Lucinda's "drunken angel" is the song that pulled me in and once I got in I was in a good place. Tonight the lights are going to go low in the listening room as they have every night with Harold visiting and turning me on to great stuff.

This particular recording puts me right in the control room and I am listening to the music but also how they did some of the different parts. For example how they played with her vocals. Sometimes dry and sometimes a little raspy and other times leaning to almost twang. This is a studio recording for sure, meaning you can sit there and hear the equipment the recording was made with. Reminds me a lot of the Nashville sound. So I had to look it up and it seems like the reason the songs sound like they have different homes is because they do and Nashville is on the studio list. Not bad for two old farts sitting here enjoying. I had to give Harold a call once I looked up the history, and he said "yep" that's why the different flavors. It in some ways feels like studio hopping like you get with a greatest hits CD but this one stays together with the different flavors lending themselves to each particular song and message. If I were to have a play night I would put Lucinda on with Bonny Rait, EmmyLou Harris and Sheryl Crow.

2 Kool 2 be 4-gotten

Cool
Back to top Go down
hcooper99

hcooper99

PostSubject: Re: Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants   Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 3:38 am

Hi TuneLand Harold here

I'll get more professional Pictures to you shortly. Now taking orders on the RTD2 (Deluxe RoomTune)
Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 M225

Beautiful aren't they! Please let me know of any questions, happy to serve you.
Back to top Go down
hcooper99

hcooper99

PostSubject: Re: Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants   Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2014 4:10 pm

Harold here

I'm wrapping up my Chicago trip and want to give you some feedback. Let me start by saying when Michael tells you, your going to enjoy the tunable room this is one of audio's understatements of the century. I'm going to report more on this when I get settled, but I want to give my first impressions.

When you walk into someone's house and see the room standing there the first thought is "giant musical instrument". Hearing about the tunable room and seeing pictures is one thing, but having one in front of you is an experience that transcends. This is beyond high end audio Exclamation and makes any listener rethink their priorities. This environment should be at the top of any serious audiophiles list. Forget about all the bells and whistles this hobby throws at you, this is the holy grail of rooms. For some this might have been a "where do I start" moment, but when that adjustment driver was placed in my hand I felt instantly at home. This room talks to you. That may sound odd, but when I sat down I knew what to do. It was like being able to see into the music and the room was guiding me. After listening a minute I made my first adjustment and the room did exactly what I was thinking. I sat back and smiled. After 3 more adjustments, I sat back and my smile turned into a laugh "what is this industry thinking"  Laughing 

I must and will have one  Exclamation I know if I did, I would never go outside again!

A bit more on the process I used just to let everyone know how intuitive it is.  I started out listening to Abbey Road "Sun King" with the frogs and crickets on the right.  I thought, this can be better, but let's start with a recording I listen to a lot - Stevie Ray Vaughn "Tin Pan Alley" from Couldn't Stand the Weather.  

Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 M445

Lots of spacial cues in this one!  My immediate thought was "more depth and center focus", so I went to the center panel on the front wall and started loosening screws, another listen, and whoosh - the depth went way out and his voice snapped into focus!  Well that worked, let's try the center panel on the left - sure enough - the sound stage exploded to the left.  Ended up doing the same thing on the right and behind my head, and I was sitting right in the middle of a total 3D image!  Having a time limit (I was there in the evening and still had a 1.5 hour drive back to my hotel) I decided to leave things as they were and try a few more select recordings, many from albums that have already been covered in this thread.  Joss Stone, Gatemouth Brown, Keb Mo', Lucinda Williams, Yello (of course!), a few cuts from each.  

Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 M446

Each song brought more smiles and quiet expressions to myself of "Holy Sh*t!"  And remember, this was with about 15 minutes total of doing the same tweak on just the middle of the 4 walls!

By the time I got to Yello I was just sitting there chuckling!  "Those audiophiles talk about their sound stage!  I've got your ultimate sound stage right here!" It was a total trip!  Of course, the difference in the recordings as far as front to back and side to side balance, instrument placement, etc. was obvious in spades, but I KNEW how I could change it!  

Finally, I needed to leave, but I had experienced the ultimate tool for all serious listeners!

Back to the hotel for some sleep!  The next day included a stop at Music Direct and a visit to Michael's and my mutual friend, Andy Staub.  

Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 M440

Last edited by hcooper99 on Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
hcooper99

hcooper99

PostSubject: Re: Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants   Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2014 12:32 pm

Next stop on my trip was going to Music Direct.

a pic of me and Geoff and of course the RTD2

Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 M441

I like restock and refurb rooms and there was a fair display of toys to look through. Would be a nice spot for a Tunable Room don't you think  Idea 

Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 M442
Back to top Go down
hcooper99

hcooper99

PostSubject: Re: Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants   Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2014 12:56 pm

The trip wouldn't be complete unless I stopped by to visit listening master Andrew Staub.

Now, back home again for some needed rest (it was a whirlwind trip!), but a great time with a lot accomplished and great listening!

Harold

Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 M443
Back to top Go down
hcooper99

hcooper99

PostSubject: Re: Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants   Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 10:22 pm

Harold here

Live, from the Moody Blues concert

Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 M480
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants   Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 9:24 am

Hi Harold

Sonic has got "Threshold of a Dream" in my collection.  I love it and it is what I pick to spin with a lava lamp reflecting off the walls of my room.

Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 M467

My only point that keeps me from listening to more MBs is that every song from them (including from another album or two I tried) appear to have the same [Stanza 1/Stanza 2/Bridge/instrumental/Stanza 3/Close] structure. Once I noticed it, Sonic keeps noticing it and I start to count the bars till it happens.

How would you comment on this as a Moodies fan?

Sonic
Back to top Go down
hcooper99

hcooper99

PostSubject: Re: Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants   Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 11:30 am

Sonic,

I guess I have never really tried to analyze their music to that level, though I have no doubt that what you state is true. I just love their music, their vocal harmonies, and that fact that their music is a departure from just basic "rock and roll". After all, enjoying the music is what this is all about!

I listen to many rock and blues type recordings that I enjoy very much, although very many of them are just repetitions (sometimes with brief variations) on the standard 1/4/5 chord progression. I listen to them because I like the artist, their vocals, guitar playing (or other instruments) and find that it makes me tap my feet and puts a smile on my face. That's enough for me!

Harold
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants   Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 9:18 am

You know Harold, one thing I found neat about the Moodies was on some songs the guitarist and the bassist will play the same phrase/riff an octave or two apart but perfectly in sync and fast too. Takes a lot of skill to do right.
Back to top Go down
hcooper99

hcooper99

PostSubject: Re: Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants   Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 3:05 am

Sonic,

It's good to see them still touring. They do have some chops.

Back to top Go down
hcooper99

hcooper99

PostSubject: Re: Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants   Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2014 3:13 am

Harold here

These RTD2's will be heading out the door soon to a 500 seat hall.
Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 M481
Top pic are the RTD2's finished with wall mount brackets, and below the tunes with their socks on.
Back to top Go down
hcooper99

hcooper99

PostSubject: Re: Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants   Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 6:49 pm

Hi All,

Harold here at Michael's in Vegas. Going to be doing some meeting with the wood shop to check on production. Also, listening, of course!

Sonic - just wanted to f0llow up on your post about the Moodies and their guitar and bass player doing the same riff. Excellent point! One of my faves is "You and Me" (I think from Seventh Sojourn). The intro to that has them doing that for a good long time - very fast and progressing through all the chords. It was great to see that live - some fast moving fingers there even after 50 years!

Perhaps if they had known they would live that long, they would have taken better care of themselves! But no, we still love sex, drugs, and rock and roll!

Best to all! More later.....

Coop
Back to top Go down
hcooper99

hcooper99

PostSubject: Re: Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants   Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2014 11:17 am

Harold here

While I'm at Michael's it's got me thinking about my travels. We've been taking in some of America's music cities this year and looking forward to getting around to many more. This is a cajun restaurant in Omaha called the Jazz, that is highly recommended.

Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 M499

Here in Vegas I enjoy the dining delights every night after a day of music. Last night had some great food while listening to the house artist doing Santana. Notice the Santana hat!

Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 M500

Better get ready for another fun day. First stop for those who follow the TV Show "Pawn Stars", going to nose around and check out some of the guitars, then off to Michael's.

coop
Back to top Go down
hcooper99

hcooper99

PostSubject: Re: Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants   Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2014 12:00 am

Hi TuneLand

Harold here,

I have some better pictures on the way but couldn't help myself, had to show the new logo.

Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 M504

Ignore my placement experiments on the left ground block. Oh and yes this is the new Brazilian Pine Cable Ground. In real life they're gorgeous.
Back to top Go down
hcooper99

hcooper99

PostSubject: Re: Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants   Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2014 12:16 am

On my travels I like to take in as much local culture as I can. I stopped by to check out the TV show Pawn Stars.

Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 M505

coop
Back to top Go down
hcooper99

hcooper99

PostSubject: Re: Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants   Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2014 1:05 am

Coop here,

Having a great time designing the new line with Michael and Jacob.  Jacob is an award winning 3rd. generation woodworker who has been featured in magazines and news articles.

Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 M506

Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by hcooper99 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
hcooper99

hcooper99

PostSubject: Re: Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants   Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2014 10:33 pm

A fun trip to Michael's, then off for a couple days of R&R, Jimmy Buffett style.  Spent 4 days in the Florida Keys with 2 buddies from college.  Had a great time, including seeing Ernest Hemingway's house in Key West along with the original Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville, plus a great fishing trip and much sightseeing.  Didn't realize Buffet was such a prolific song writer - seems like I was hearing new tunes everywhere I went!  BTW - he is distantly related to Warren Buffet! Good to get back home to get some rest!

Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 M540

coop Cool
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants   Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2014 12:00 am

Inspiration study

I needed to put on "Greatest Hits"

Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 M541

Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants   Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2014 10:11 am

This album deserves more credit than it is normally given.  In the right frame of mind, it is actually excellent Smile

Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 S244
Back to top Go down
hcooper99

hcooper99

PostSubject: Re: Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants   Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2014 9:34 pm

Hello Sonic

The BEE GEES have done a lot of great music. Their disco pop music gets noticed more than their classics, but when you start to listen to those classics they keep coming.

Things have been busy around the tune, and the CES is coming up. Looking forward to having fun this year. I'll be in Las Vegas for 10 days.

I will try to do some reporting or have Michael do some for me during the show.

Hope everyone is having a great holiday season Exclamation

coop
Back to top Go down
hcooper99

hcooper99

PostSubject: Re: Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants   Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 25, 2014 6:06 pm

Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 M664

Taken from our view of the Mississippi River.

And the best of New Years!

coop
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants   Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2014 8:40 am

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, Harold!

Back to top Go down
hcooper99

hcooper99

PostSubject: Re: Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants   Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2014 8:12 pm

Thank you Sonic, same to you.

We're having a wonderful season. Great food, fun family get together's and as much music as I can get.

coop
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants   Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Harold Cooper of Sound Consultants
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next