Michael Green Audio Forum

https://tuneland.forumotion.com

Our Website  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Robert Harrison's Tunable System

Go down 
+4
what about bob
Drewster
yikes
Bill333
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
AuthorMessage
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Robert Harrison's Tunable System   Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 3:01 pm

And how does that Maggie sound?  Smile 

I want as many people to be able to take advantage of this as they can so if you can give us a picture.  Very Happy 

Can't imagine being an audiophile and not owning this player or 5  Smile 
Back to top Go down
Robert Harrison

PostSubject: Re: Robert Harrison's Tunable System   Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 7:50 pm

Hey, Mr. Green,

Why is when you or Sonic ask me to describe what I'm hearing, my mind goes blank? I'll just have to pass it off as "I know what I like." Still, I noticed you had mentioned the unit being mechanically noisy if taken out of its shell, but mine is still in the shell (with the top off and screws loosened) and still makes aggravating noise on almost every disc. It reminds me of trying to listen through the snap crackle pop of vinyl or the hiss of cassette tapes. I hate to bend down so much these days that I have avoided trying to see if maybe the unit is not level or that perhaps I have to tighten certain screws to alleviate this. Most likely the latter because when I first got the unit and had it in the bigger room, I was having trouble playing a particular DVD-R, but applying pressure on one of the screws made the disc play better. Any body else having these problems?

As there was mention of Brian Eno, last night I put on a compilation CD from the "Brian Eno I: Instrumental" box set (there is also a "Brian Eno II: Vocal" set). The first (of three) discs had instrumentals from his early stuff, including "Music For Films II" and his soundtrack for the NASA documentary "For All Mankind" (a collaboration with his brother Roger and Daniel Lanois). As usual for me, I fell asleep about track 6 or so and woke up toward the end. That damn rickety-rick mechanical noise was constant throughout, and this on a store bought CD.

A few years ago, I would have just said, "You get what you pay for," but...six of one, half a dozen of another.

Why did I decide to try the unit again? One night , I put on one of my constantly referred to references, "Blood" by This Mortal Coil, and it sounded quite bad. I have been doing a lot of acoustical stuff recently, so I thought maybe I just overdid it: I have had planks sitting against the four floor corners for some time, and recently (reading and reading hereabouts), I thought perhaps I should try some burn behind these planks, so I dropped some tuning strips behind each one. The big plank behind my chair I put into those makeshift feet I used to use on the black planks (actually, shelves) and it now stands straight up behind my chair instead of leaning against the wall and closet doors. I also slightly opened one of the closet doors after seeing you mention opening a door in your room to "trick," as you called it, the room into "being bigger."

One of these changes goosed the bass, because I have recently been viewing the BBC teleseries "Planet Earth" (when I can get the discs to play), and some bass frequencies on the music soundtrack have been rattling the speakers and/or the stands, which has never happened yet with these monitors. I have loosened the screws holding the drivers in several times (this being about the only way to tune a non-MGD speaker with no other visible screws), so this may account for that. I reckon one can go too loose. Or maybe I should try the spikes again, as the speaker stands sit directly on small black boards, which in turn sit directly on the platforms, as pictured in a previous post.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Robert Harrison's Tunable System   Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 8:31 pm

Hmmm

Once in a while I'll get a ticking, but not often or not enough to bug me. The thought of moving away from the sound scares me, now that I have found a digital component I really enjoy I would hate to go back to the other side.

good to see you Smile 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Robert Harrison's Tunable System   Robert Harrison's Tunable System - Page 12 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Robert Harrison's Tunable System
Page 12 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12