Michael Green Audio Forum

https://tuneland.forumotion.com

Our Website  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics

Go down 
+3
Michael Green
Robert Harrison
Drewster
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19 ... 30  Next
AuthorMessage
Sonic.beaver

Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics   Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 12:31 pm

Greetings Garp and Zonees

Sonic tried to pull the pin and it is stuck fast. I’ll need to go see the Artisan tomorrow and use the tools in his shoppe to extract the pin….

Now you may wonder why Sonic bothers to go through all this trouble with the arm. Simply put, this version of the AR XA arm is geometrically accurate. Sonic knows this audiophile who has a Linn LP12 and Grace G707. He is an alignment fanatic and uses a Dennessen alignment protractor. I think it uses a Baerwald setting. With the Grace, optimal alignment with the gauge required the pillar to be moved from the manufacturer’s recommendation for correct overhang and even then the cartridge had to be set slightly non-parallel to the headshell to get proper zero tracing error. No problem given the G707's slotted headshell.

So I tried aligning my cartridge in the AR XA with the Dennessen protractor. Sonic was expecting problems – the cartridge cannot be twisted in the headshell and the only overhang adjustment was by loosening a screw at the pivot assemble and move the arm back or forward by just a little.

I got a perfect set with the AR XA arm. No twisting of the cartridge in the headshell needed. Sonic just moved the arm so the stylus rested in the dimple in the Dennessen protractor (but you must locate the vertical pivot axis accurately), and the stylus cantilever was parallel to the lines in the protractor. Spot on.

Sonic
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics   Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 12:03 pm

Hi Michael, Garp and Zonees

I pulled the pin. This is what the pin in the AR XA’s roller bearing looks like and how I got it out. These next three pix are from John Weather’s page.

Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 Tonearmpin1

Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 Tonearmpin2

Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 Tonearmpin3

Now I got to have these MW blocks on the top plate to prevent the stylus from hitting the top plate in case the arm is accidentally dropped.

Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 AXXATurntable001

With the vertical damping gone, the arm is free and the tracking force consistent. Sonic needs to find the optimum tracking force for the AT-95E which is specified at 1.5 to 2.5 gms.

This week I also found that one of the boards under the QS-Pre had buckled and the resitone rods supporting the circuit board were not stable. As Sonic tried to rebuild the support board, I went to this:

Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 MainRack

In this configuration, I got a larger field of sound and a volume increase. This is the initial effect. Settling next and we see how things shape out. The simplicity may work and Sonic could keep the QS-Pre this way.

Sonic
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics   Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 9:15 am

Greetings Zonees

Sonic sends congratulations to Bill333 cheers this is wonderful news.

On the other hand Sonic is dejected over the AR XA post pulled pin. There is no more slop in the bearings but the audible tracing distortion is still there. I got to hunt down the cause but right now I think I want to take a break from this project and maybe return to it with a fresher mind.

Along the way I met up with a good audiophile who has a Linn Sondek LP12, a Hadcock unipivot arm, a Denon 103 cartridge and a Denon AU320 transformer and Magneplanars. It is a nice system. We talked about things analog and somehow the conversation went to record clamps – not weights, which will grind and wear the Linn bearing. He said that he has a clamp but always thought the Linn sounded better unclamped. Gave me a demo and back to back, he is right.

I then looked up why this is so given conventional wisdom and the answer came from George Merrill (if Sonic is not mistaken) -- the reason for not using a centre clamp is because the energy that is generated from motor transfers to the platter via the belt and this concentrates at the spindle. This energy goes from the spindle through the clamp and is then transmitted into the record. The stylus picks up this energy which causes smearing and this is what muddies up the sound.

I understand Merrill makes a two-part clamping system – a centre weight and peripheral ring to suppress the reflections in vinyl.

Sonic

Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics   Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 9:20 am

Hey, Sonic noticed a new member Hiend001.

Welcome!

Are you the same Hiend1 that I been learning from all these years?

Please PM me if you are....

Sonic
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics   Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2013 10:45 am

Greetings Zonees

After sorting out the main rack and restoring the wooden base for the QS-Pre, the system took about a week of running in to get back in its stride. At first the sound was closed down in girth and slightly down in volume but with each day, it started to open up.

In the opening up process, I could also sense some of the missteps I took earlier to compensate for problems from the tipping preamp base. One thing was the positioning of the cardboard tubes – and this is the new placement which sounds promising (previously Sonic had one in each front corner and a pair behind the centre FS-PZC):

Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 S62

Then Sonic also found they sound better empty instead of having damping material inside.

And the carpet roll at the end of the room has been removed.

A couple of days of this and I am getting a new effect in the room – something like sound after popping your ears when the plane you are in decreases altitude when coming to land. Seems like an increase in energy somewhere. Maybe more detail and transient clarity but I must be careful…more energy is good but more energy in the wrong place = colouration.

And here is a pix of something Sonic is building. It is somewhere else in my dwelling but it may wind up in the main listening room.

Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 S63

Sonic

Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics   Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 10:07 am

Its a colouration....the cardboard tunes aren't working in this configuration. They'll have to come out of the room. The spectral balance is nasal and the volume is going down. Not a good sign.

If you see what Sonic posted on Apogee6's thread that is what I'll be doing next.

Let's see...
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics   Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 10:44 am

Yep, the card board needs to be voiced in my book. One of the reasons I recommend these with a caution.

Sometimes it's better to get MG's real stuff. The other stuff does some tricks but lacks the same resonant tones I come up with.
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics   Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 10:40 am

Sonic's done with the cardboard tubes.....but out of interest, how do you "voice" them?

For my next Tune, its with MG's real stuff.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics   Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 1:19 pm

Hi Sonic

Trade secrets Laughing but lets put it this way. At the end of the day it wouldn't sound like cardboard but more like a woodwind meets cello.
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics   Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 11:23 am

Hi Zonees

At last Exclamation This one really works....

Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 S64

Increased volume, stronger and flatter bass, a bit more extension too giving the sound better weight and bass instrument location particularly when two are playing on both sides of the stage Very Happy

Sonic
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics   Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 12:32 pm

Greetings Zonees

The pairs of EchoTunes mounted edgewise ahead of the ceiling fan worked well. Neat Very Happy

Settling made things better so Sonic took the idea a step further.

Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 S65

This expanded the soundstage more to the sides with a good strong middle.

I am finding ETs used in this way is quite extraordinary. I wonder if a room with hard walls like wall like mine needs a more blended mix of wood and pillow products to get the best musick out of a room/equipment system.

Sonic
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics   Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 5:06 pm

Hi Sonic

That ceiling looks great! very organized

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with that will be useful for not only you but also for folks with extremely high ceilings.

Wood is always good when overcoming the sound of concrete, and some times it doesn't take much to shift the sound of waves from concrete sounding to wood sounding, but it does take time and patience. I think you are finding a treasure of sound.

Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics   Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 11:05 am

Hi Michael

Sonic is getting the feel for the pressure zones in my room with this last round of Tunes.

The solution to the problems I remarked about is to expand and power up the PZ in the middle of the room.

If the mid-room PZ is weak, I find we get a recessed middle stage that appears to make instruments and voices in the middle further from the listener than the images at R and L.

It may be a tonal difference or girth or transient leading edge problems but I am seeing that if a room/system gives a recessed middle stage, or worse a U-shape stage which some audiophiles misinterpret as "depth", it may just mean the middle PZ is weaker than those at the sides.

Sonic is working along this path and it appears that I'll find the musick and soundstage I am after adjusting the ETs edgewise and the Sound Shutters on the walls and the ceiling in some combination.

From what the system is doing so far, this is getting somewhere serious with the Tune.

Sonic
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics   Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 2:49 pm

Hi Sonic

Would you mind listing the room dimensions again? I think this is very important for people to see and how you are using the space, making it into it's own environment, and replacing the sound of the walls with a newer, fresher sound that is more in line with the way musical sound waves present themselves.

Learning what the space does is one part, another is voicing the sound of the room.

very nice
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics   Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 10:14 am

Hi Michael

The room dimensions are 21 ft (L) x 14 ft (W) x 10.9 ft (H). The ceiling is reinforced concrete, floor is wood over RC, walls are plaster over brick.

Sonic
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics   Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 10:19 am

Hi Michael and Zonees

Good progress this one Very Happy

Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 S66

From this, Zonees may guess the direction that could work next Question

Sonic
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics   Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 11:53 am

Greetings Michael and Zonees

Sonic next did this and got into trouble:

Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 S67

The bad news first – the bass dropped off. Normally, the MG1.5QRs go below 40Hz strongly in my room.

With the Shutters angled, they are now struggling to beat 60Hz. The flipside is the soundstage expanded in 3 dimensions. There are images going thru the walls (slightly but definitely so), there is a sense of the musick is “here with me”, not reproduced by two devices, voices are forward of the speaker plane, images that are “on” the panels sound like they are just there, unconnected to the panels. Instruments and voices aren’t just sound, they are also pressure.

Now this finally sounds like the Tune doesn't it….but to get all this and then have the bass going thin and dropping off is frustrating.

Michael, what should I do?

Sonic
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics   Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 5:28 pm

Hi Sonic

First thing to do is stop where you are and take it in! Commit the sound you have to memory so when you get back you will know it. There is something you did along the way that burnt too much bass from one of the pressure zones. Could be an equipment thing or acoustical. It happened back when you were dealing with the Boo. It needs to come back to life just enough to bring back in the bottom, but not enough to overwhelm. Be careful not to loose the 3D though.

There is a balance that you need to find between detail and boo and 3D. Sometimes we can get so focused one one of these that we loose the 3D.
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics   Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 11:22 am

Must go carefully here....

Sonic took down the two ETs from behind my listening chair (see Apr 9 pix) -- maybe a little better in the bass and the good thing is the middle images projected further forward a little. So this is accepted as a setting.

Then I removed the ETs on the ceiling behind each speaker (see Apr 7 pix) --

On first listen, the room sound shifted up. The volume for a given pre-amp setting however became louder and the stage went wider (I could hear things extending into the spaces beyond my listening room), but the tone is wrong....midrangy with an exaggerated ambience.

Comments, Michael?

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics   Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 2:32 pm

Hi Sonic

My comment would be to be looking in the area that you sent me in your email (speaker tuning). You told me about some stands. I have always felt that the speakers (not the speakers but their lack of stability and tuning) is one of the factors that holds back the waves from developing. We don't think about how much this is doing till we hear the difference. With the Mag firing unevenly from top to bottom I'm absolutely sure this introduces a wave formation in to the room that is not quite stable.

I know it must sound like I pick on things when I talk like this but not really. I don't have a problem with a lot of speakers per say, it's the way they are executed. Panel speakers (of any kind) mis-fire unless they have the tops of the speakers stabilized. This causes just enough variation from top to bottom to give the waves an odd character.
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics   Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 10:28 am

Hi Zonees

Sonic took some trouble to get the system sorted over the last couple of days and incorporating the learning from my post yesterday.

Effectively I went back to the set up of April 7 and no ETs Edgewise behind the listening seat.

There is good bass…full and extended enough, though maybe not has much as its best…the middle soundstage is adequately projected, the overall soundfield is good although the 3D width, depth and wide expanse I got in the earlier set up (with unsatisfactory bass) is reduced by rather a lot.

Was listening to “La Pastorelle” Antonio Vivaldi’s Chamber Works (Harmonia Mundi) and “Greensleeves to a Ground” (David Munrow/EMI). Good musick and the bassoon have very nice weight with suppleness, though Sonic wished I got the best of all combinations but that’s life.

An audiophile friend visited this weekend. He walked into the room as we were talking and remarked…”whoa…this sounds like a bathroom!”

Then Sonic played some musick (Bach’s Brandenburg Concerto Nr 1)…and the good audiophile said, “what have you done? The room is OK…the soundstage is so good” – “heh heh” thinks Sonic. Although I know this can be so much better if I could get that wide stage AND the bass.

This is a point that the BOO! test is very important but it does not define everything. A room can have BOO! but with tuning or serendipity can be controlled when playing musick.

Sonic
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics   Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 11:40 am

Hi Zonees

Sonic is back to this ceiling layout:

Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 SonicETsCeilingView041913

What's the difference?

The small shutters made from balsa wood on the front and side walls (forward end of the room) are taken down. The ETs edgewise above and behind the speaker panels are back where they were in my earlier post. The ETs are 10 inches from the side walls. Further inward (12, 14") increases the bass slightly but the beautifully dimensional soundstage is gone.

Now Sonic has also found that any ET edgewise mounted in the front of the room behind the plane of what's in the picture has unsatisfactory effects -- it could be a loss of bass, a big loss of volume (this was with a pair in the centre at about the 1/3 width points...I couldn't believe my ears how much volume could be lost just with a pair of small fibreglass-filled pillows), at the edges of the wall, the soundstage was very wide but a hole in the middle developed.

So it appears this is about it....yes, and the pair of ETs edgewise behind my listening chair reduced projection into the room...so it appears this is about it with the ETs....

Next up, Sonic must look at how to address Michael's point of the weaknesses of the Magneplanar, that is how the top vibrates at a different rate from the bottom. I assume this will cause smearing among other things. It will be either a DIY solution or a professionally made stand of some sort. Let's see....

Sonic
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics   Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 9:31 am

Greetings Zonees

Sonic is working on dealing with the weaknesses of the Magneplanar. The solution will come down to a stand of some sort. My "research" (or more like just looking around) shows there are 4 possible approaches.

a. DIY

Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 S68

These can be made out of wood or metal. I understand that a nice country to the north of me is the source of several types of cloned stands and some are in fact pretty good.

b. Sound Anchors

Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 S71

Massive things I am told but I don't see how mounting the panel at the bottom like stock is going to remedy the flap if the long panel

c. Mye Sound there are

Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 S70

This is more like it to Sonic

d. Magnestand

Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 S69

(All pix from the internet and/or from manufacturer's websites)

I found the website of the Magnestand folks a wonderful read. The proprietor who is better known as "Peter Gunn" (Michael, do you know him and his products?) explained so much about Magneplanar that Sonic was thoroughly absorbed with reading. I am posting exerpts here because Sonic thinks Zonees may find the insights useful. Sonic is not endorsing the views. Look at this:

Source: www.indiespinzone.com/mag/mag4.html

Magnepan speakers are without question unique in the high end industry, and not just because of their shape and design principles. What makes them unique is the design seems capable of almost limitless possibilities, yet they are produced at a very basic and modest level of operation.

For whatever reason their design envelope was never pushed by the parent company who seem happiest making them affordable and a value for the money. In light of that numerous people have taken it upon themselves to alter, tweak and "pump up" their maggies over the years. Modifications tend to be confined to:

• Making some sort of stand, and possibly raising or straightening them
• Replacing the crossover components with better parts
• Installing struts to "stiffen" the frames

What instantly struck me about all this modding was how varied the methods, parts and processes chosen were. There was no agreement, no unifying principle, no "best way". The only statement that even seemed to get universal support is "Just mod them some way, it will improve them." While confusing it highlights one truth - Something is wrong about the design and it needs to be found and fixed. That being the case "just doing anything" is not the solution. If there is a flaw then the way to improve them is finding and fixing that flaw. Since it appeared this had not been done and no one discovered what the real issue is, I made it my mission to find it.

For nearly four years I experimented with not only the stand and its design, but the crossover and components for it. While it may all seem obvious now, for a long time it was a vague shadow I could only sense, and uniting it all was difficult and took trial, error and time, often because past assumptions or "truths" all proved incorrect. The end result therefore didn't just "happen", and it's also not a guess. It is the culmination of those things which showed themselves to work best, all united and working as a whole.

Up to now, most people utilized steel when making stands for their Maggies, which I can only attribute to the fact that's it's easier to drill a hole and insert a bolt than do woodwork. Yet even those who used wood only made either bases or struts and achieved little more than making them vertical or stand taller, the mdf was never replaced. It is our feeling that all vertical placement does is make them beam. Like a flashlight, that direct beam may seem like an improvement due to increased strength (in this case dbl levels) but if you stop and really listen and consider, do you want that any more than you want a flashlight beam in the eyes? What's more, gaining this dbl increase happens at the cost of ambience, musicality and even bass reproduction. (Magnepan itself for the majority of the companies life has chosen to tip most models) A tipped flashlight gives an ambient light, a tipped maggie gives an ambient sound and it also improves its bass response. We don't wish to lose any of that and we can make up the detail in other ways.

Magnepan speakers in stock form have a few issues, but they have one major problem. Vibration. It is the biggest source of sound degradation maggies have. If you observe a pair of maggies playing moderately loudly with their socks off you will see more vibrating on the driver than you would have imagined, and in fact some people manage to get theirs to make a "slapping" noise. (from the mylar actually striking the magnets, the culprit here almost always being an underpowered amp) Maggies make sound by vibrating the mylar, but once made, ideally we'd like those waves to vanish and not interfere with the next ones. However the maggie driver is attached to an MDF frame which does not accept any of this energy. In fact, because of MDF's normal refusal to accept vibrational energy a large portion of it has no choice but to return to the driver from where it came where it meets and destroys those new waves being formed, with the net result being major loss of detail and smear.

Sadly, for many years people misunderstood why this smear happened and they incorrectly assumed the problem was that the speakers were moving or shaking. They tried to solve this non existant problem by "stiffening" the panels with struts and metal frames. Since adding these things had some effect on the sound, people felt vindicated doing it, and it became the accepted truth. Yes, attaching struts to stock maggies will yield some improvement, but not for the reason thought. To add a strut you also need to add a base, and all three, speaker, struts and base come together in a triangle. This triangle naturally provides more floor coupling which allows more of the vibrational energy to bleed off into the floor than would normally escape the frame. However only a smaller amount more is getting off and they are not solving the inherent problem because "stiffness" isn't the actual problem.

We know that the real problem lies in the fact that the MDF frame refuses to take up and diffuse the vibrations the maggie driver makes. Imagine the maggie driver as a body of water and the waves generated stemming from a rock thrown into it's center. This first wave set is beautiful and very clear and distinct. However when it reaches the shore line it has no where else to go, whereupon it rebounds back in the direction it came from. When this wave front collides with the next set of waves it makes "choppy water" which is no longer clear or beautiful and that is exactly what a maggie driver in MDF looks like when playing and sounds like when playing - Choppy Water. The solution therefore is to remove these waves entirely and stiffening will not do that.

Fortunately it turns out that there is an ideal medium which can do this: Wood. It has a natural ability to absorb vibrational energy and diffuse it. In fact, that is one of the main jobs it is designed to do. It's cell structure is compliant and this shifting ability of it's cells allows it to turn vibrational energy into heat (friction) and dissipate it. An interesting thing I discovered is if you hold a stock maggie by the MDF frame while playing, you really don't feel a lot of vibration, but if you look at the driver it will be bouncing all over the place. If you hold one of my frames while playing the amount of vibrational energy one can feel is startling, however if you look at the driver, no movement can be seen, even at high volumes. The sound you'll hear proves I am correct, and the fact that my frames move and vibrate so much while doing this disproves the "stiffening" argument as well. It's like the suspension of a car, it moves and bounces in response to a bad road so the occupants do not. You don't "stiffen" a car to make the ride smoother, you install a system that can absorb the shock, which is what we are doing to these speakers.

Magnestand frames accept the wave energy reaching them and turn it into heat thru cell friction and simply bleed it off, therefore it NEVER goes back into the driver and that energy never contaminates the subsequent waves. What you get is one of the purest sounds in audio, which has been compared to and even beaten electrostats in its delicacy and beauty.

We do still use struts in the design because they add to the over all strength, but I have played modded maggies without them installed and I have yet to be able to say I can tell a difference. That's because the wood frame is doing the job so completely that there is nothing left for struts to really do as far as draining away wave energy and "stiffening" as we've proven is not a real issue.

There are two parts to this equation however and that brings us to the crossover. Years ago I noticed posts online where people would comment that they pulled their old SMGa's out of the closet when they had gotten tired of their main system and they were amazed at "how damn good" the SMGa's sounded. You would see these comments often, and replies would always be in agreement. The model was regarded as "magical". I looked into this magic and discovered the source: It had a very unusual crossover unlike any used in any other production maggie. Since it is my belief all maggies are essentially the same, they only get bigger, (all materials in every frame from the MMG to 3.6 are the same) it seemed reasonable to assume that if this crossover was so damn good, it could (and should) be applied to every model.

This design is a shared, 1st order series with a 6 dbl slope and what is interesting is it makes both voice coils on the maggie driver use a "shared" input. There are not 4 "in" wires, (2 to each voice coil) there are only 3 and each voice coil shares this third positive and negative lead. (the XO components stop the drivers from seeing the signal which would short them) It is my feeling that this method effectively turns the two separate elements on the single maggie driver back into a single, coherent one. Some have claimed this unifying notion is impossible and not technically correct, however listening is the proof of the pudding here and there is no question that is exactly what it sounds like it does, and it's what everyone who hears it says it sounds like. So others can have their semantic wars about it, but for me, if it quacks like a duck... Another side benefit of this crossover is it's efficiency raises the decibel output of every maggie it's used on (except for the 1.7) from around the stock 86 dbl to about 92 dbl.

With the help of a computer aided technician friend we have adapted this design and applied it successfully to all models from the MMG to the 3.6 and older ones like the MG-I and MG-II series. In choosing the components to use for it, I wanted detail but did not wish to lose the inherent warmth of the speakers. After a long trial period I selected inductors, capacitors and resistors based on performance, not cost, and selected those which could deliver warmth and detail without adding grain or edge. Musicality was most important, and fatigue must never be an issue. You can read more about the parts used on the Prices page.

The result was a crossover worthy of the frames and neither is limited by the other in any way, and in fact they are greater than the sum of their parts. The crossovers get built into matching custom wooden boxes (every pair is different) which feature Vampire binding posts. This box then "rides" on the plinth on Herbies "Iso-Dots" which allows the boxes weight to be added to the panels over all mass yet completely isolates the crossover from all vibrations. This gives the listener the clearest window into the music possible. The fuses are also permanently removed from the speaker because as far as Maggies go, "No fuse is good fuse".

The result? Clarity, immediacy, warmth, musicality, far better bass reproduction, no limiting sweet spot, more forgiving placement and increased efficiency. We believe the result is one of the best speakers on earth, and I would be willing to put them up against any commers. So far customers have auditioned and preferred them against top of the line models from companies like Gallo, Harbeth, Merlin and Vandersteen and they have even beaten specialized speakers costing as much as 15 thousand dollars. In fact one customer has told me he compared his 1.6's to 50 grand Wilson MAXX 2's and said it's pretty much a tie. Another customer compared his Magnestand modded SMGa's against his friends pair of $4,300 Harbeth Super HL5's (Of which Stereo Times said the following: "Never, at any price or design type, have I heard a speaker that so completely got out of the way and let the music speak for itself. Never have I heard a speaker that exceeds the HL5’s ability to reveal the artistic quality of the music and its performance.")

The results of that meeting? "....we A/B'd the Harbeths against the SMGa's and once again your SMGa's smoked a much more expensive speaker. It was incredible!!" The Harbeth is a speaker the reviewer called the best of it's type he ever heard, and our modded SMGa wasn't just "better", it smoked it? Yes, and apparently this customer had tried his modded Maggies against all (rather expensive) comers, and the Maggies won every time handily.

BUT WHICH MODEL DO I CHOOSE?
This is often the hardest decision, and in fact many agonize over it. That is not necessary however and I have written a page to help you thru the decision making process. It can be reached by clicking here. Hopefully it can resolve your concerns if you are honest about your situation and don't let desire cloud your judgement. Still, if you have any further questions please feel free to contact me at any time.

All of the main production maggies can be modded this way (the MMG, MG-12, 1.6 and 3.6) and they all have a unique presentation when done. (that's presentation, not sound quality) It's been my experience every person will have a penchant for one of those presentations in particular. Forget "bigger is better" and in fact, it tends to break slightly in favor of the MMG with most people. So then Step Number One is - Find the presentation you are partial to.

How does one do this? The first and most obvious thing is to spend time listening to them stock. However their true natures are not nearly as obvious stock so it may take a long time to draw your conclusion. Adding difficulty to this is the fact that it probably will not be possible to hear all of them, let alone hear them in your own room. In fact it may not be possible to hear any at all! The most likely scenario is that you will have heard some, or at least one, maggie. If so what you'll need to do is decide what it is you really liked and what you didn't. If you don't have enough experience of this sort and can't get it, you'll have to go by my analysis below and your gut feeling.

The 3 main production types compare as shown in the following pic. The MMG is about 4 feet tall when done, the 12 a little less than 4 and a half feet and the 1.6 about 5 feet tall. In width the drivers (drivers, not the wooden frames) of the 12 and 1.6 are 1.5" wider than the MMG. The footprint is about the same for all of them. The only performance change when going to a larger size is the more bass they will have, and perhaps slightly more articulated highs. (not higher, just perhaps a shade clearer due to a larger driver surface) However this should not be a reason to make your choice because bass can be made up with a quality sub or sub system.

As far as the real differences between them, simply put it can be said that the larger they get, the more the focus is on detail and not the musical picture. In other words the MMG excells in what is called macro dynamics and it lives to highlight the musical event. Don't take this to mean it doesn't have detail, as it does. It is just not presented in your face.

The best analogy I can employ is for you to imagine the music as a beam of light shining from behind you, illuminating the speakers. The MMG would be a single, large beam (nearly as big as the beam of the 1.6 or 3 after the mod, the soundstage is what it is after all). This beam is full of wonderful, beautiful colors but they are all connected and blend into each other with the result being the picture the artist was trying to paint musically. The simile here would be a regular oil painting.

However as the maggies get larger this single beam starts getting broken into more and more individual beams, each of it's own color. You can almost think of it as you would a pixellated image. Up close it's a bunch of dots, but step back and you see a portrait of Lincoln.

I have found that some people look at these dots, instantly see Lincoln and love the detail it took to compile it. Others look and see Lincoln but not so easily, and aren't quite sure they prefer it or not. Finally some see it not at all or with great effort, and find it is not the style for them. It's been my experience slightly more people seem to prefer the MMG over the 1.6 in head to head auditions, and for this very reason.

As for detail I have not found there is less in the MMG, it is just not in your face. I have heard things on 1.6's I didn't hear on the MMG, but went back to the MMG, listened, and sure enough it was there. It just doesn't draw attention to itself. The kind of detail you start hearing on the larger models is the odd stuff, music pages being turned, a foot shuffling, a guitarist brushing the strumming guard. For some people entering this realm of "being there" means a lot, for many others it does not. Some just want their steak cooked right, they don't need to smell the grill it was cooked on.

As for the largest models the differences are more sublime. I have heard nothing else quite like the 2.7. It disected the soundstage in a way I have never heard. In fact I'm not even sure it's ideal or not, but I did buy a pair for myself because of what I heard. If I ever get them done I'll report more on them. The 3.6 is not as wild a ride as the 2.7 is, in fact it shares a lot with the MMG as it has what I would call musical detail. Perhaps it represents size and function coming full circle as it's sound is almost beams within a beam.

Simply put, the MMG is about music, the 1.6 detail, and the MG-12 is a good compromise between the two. The 2 and 3 series is another level of the playing field.

So while listening to maggies (or any speaker for that matter) try to determine if it's the musical event that appeals to you, or the micro detail, and then choose the appropriate model. If you're not sure or want both, the 12 might be your best bet.

These are of course generalized guidelines and if the room is a dedicated stereo room and can be treated however it need be then you can almost always go at least one size up. Use your common sense however and if it really seems too small, then it probably is too small. One caveat effecting the above numbers is a "long" wall. If say your room is 11" wide, but 18-20" long that width is your friend. If you set up on that wall using the width you can almost certainly use anything, even 3's as long as the room has no issues. If you think however that you're pushing your luck it is wisest to choose a model size down. Note however that the reverse is not true. Once modded they can play louder (output goes from a stock 86 dbl to about 92 dbl) so smaller models can go into the bigger rooms more easily. Therefore having MMG's should not be an issue even in a 20' by 30' room.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics   Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 10:18 am

Hi Sonic

Yes, I know of the Magnestand, and even though this statement "Magnestand frames accept the wave energy reaching them and turn it into heat thru cell friction and simply bleed it off, therefore it NEVER goes back into the driver and that energy never contaminates the subsequent waves. " is pretty far off the mark we tunees know that the stand is really becoming the speaker. Why they would choose to not except that anything that touches anything else becomes a part of that materials vibratory code istead of the reasoning they give is a little needy but still I like this stand's approach as far as adding wood.

The crossover comments I couldn't really say till I hear them in a tuned room which I hear the designer does not have. I'm always up for simple though and the removel of all fuses when this can be safely done.

I do think however if the maggie is made simple (crossover wise) it can be a music maker because it is basically a big driver wanting and needing to be tuned. Can it compete against a no crossover design made free resonant? I'm up for anything. However if they are not used at the high volume as the more efficent speaker systems it's hard to think it would be worth it to spend thousands on something a small mini mod could do. That said, if someone wants to spend the bucks to convert them they will certainly improve greatly and for you loving your maggies could be a lot of fun.
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics   Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 9:50 am

Hi Michael and Zonees

Sonic is buying a pair of Mye Sound Stands for my MG1.5QRs.

They are pre-owned items and their bracing struts come lead-filled by the previous owner.

This could be the step up to a higher level of musick or a messy nightmare. I am sure some re-tuning is going to have to be done....

Sonic

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics   Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Building a Room Full of Balanced Harmonics
Page 9 of 30Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19 ... 30  Next