Michael Green Audio Forum

https://tuneland.forumotion.com

Our Website  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Toledo's system

Go down 
+2
Michael Green
Toledo
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Toledo

Toledo's system - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Toledo's system - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2014 11:04 pm

I think you may be able to... I may be overthinking this since there are two sets of binding posts per speaker with jumpers. The jumpers have eyelets on them and have to be on top of the speaker cable. There is also an RC network but this goes on top.

The speaker cable connect to bottom posts.

Toledo's system - Page 3 Image17

Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Toledo's system - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2014 11:12 pm

Bare will work it looks like. I'll start burning some in. Type #2 or Type #1. With Bobby's better use Type #2.
Back to top Go down
Toledo

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Toledo's system - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2014 11:23 pm

No problem fitting the type 2 into the 4105 clips? Also, I always wondered are the cable ends bare or tinned to deal with corrosion or do you have creative way to deal with that?
Back to top Go down
Toledo

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Toledo's system - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2014 11:33 pm

Ok .. I feel dumb. How do you get the FUNAI to repeat playback. I have pushed repeat button on remote but it defies me like a pesky toddler Wink
Back to top Go down
Toledo

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Toledo's system - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2014 11:45 pm

Quote :
With my setup the FUNAI opened up so much with the LTR Blocks that I took out the mini CD Platform and set it directly on the Top Tuning Board, but you'll have to see how it sounds in your setup.

Step by step is fun I think, no hurry. I might pick up some wood though so it's drying nicely. We had a great dry (curing season didn't we?) Going to be terrible for fires but sure was good for voicing wood.

It was a great season ... It's getting too hot already ... 97 in April?!?!?! I was wondering how hot it was for you.

Regarding platforms... I want to get rid of the rack I have, use your rack or platforms and establish a foothold in the tune. Right now I don't even think I understand the lingo yet. When I hear top tuning board I think top tuning with transfer rods.

I'm so confused .... scratch
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Toledo's system - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 1:52 am

Laughing I think I confuse myself half the time. Got to run out but wanted to send you a quicky on the repeat. See the repeat button? Well point it and when the music is playing press it one mississippi, press two mississippi then press the third time. If you don't do the timing thing between the presses it will only play that song over and over. Takes a little getting use to.

I'll be back
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Toledo's system - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 8:10 am

Hey Toledo

Don't worry about the Tape Out being at line level. The front panel of the X-30 has a volume control (what I was commenting about on Hiend001's thread); You use it to establish the relative gain for the subwoofer in relation to the satellites' overall system gain.

Once you find that spot, you mark it and leave it there. After that adjust your volume from the 4105's overall volume control. Once adjusted you will not have to reset for every record you play. it's easy  Very Happy 

Sonic
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Toledo's system - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 8:12 am

Hi Michael

About your set up pix on this thread -- where is the LT redwood block you turn on your CD player? There's nothing on top or have you just added it, and it goes on top of the transport, yes?

Sonic
Back to top Go down
Hiend001

Hiend001

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Toledo's system - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 10:31 am

Hi Toledo,

Try Sonic suggestion on the X-30 connection setup. I would like to know whether the volume control will sync without using mono block amp to drive the sub.
Back to top Go down
Toledo

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Toledo's system - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 10:36 am

Michael, your setup diagram above is exactly what I needed to see. I love it. You can practically see how the tone builds up and the stack sings.

What are the dimensions of the base 2x4?
Back to top Go down
Toledo

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Toledo's system - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 10:47 am

Hi hiend,
Unfortunately I do not have this equipment, I am still in design mode.
I'm still a little fuzzy on how this will work to sync the volume without variable preamp outputs.

Sonic mentioned using the tape input which may be the key to all this.

If you have some extra Picasso around you may want to try sonics suggestion.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Toledo's system - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 6:22 pm

Hi Toledo

The bottom base is actually a floor on top of my floor that I dicided to put in. When you walk in the room you step up 4.25" . I have another configuration I'm going to try soon.

It will be a mini version of this kinda.

Toledo's system - Page 3 M91

It's sorta hard for me to play right now on different configurations cause it sounds so good I hate to stop listening to try stuff, but I know testing the different setups is my job so my current fun is short lived. I can't wait to get the second and 3rd systems setup again. Having one system is a drag to test stuff in.
Back to top Go down
Toledo

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Toledo's system - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 6:44 pm

woah ... entire subfloor ... i can't even image the reverberant field you must be in at listening position.

We need pics.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Toledo's system - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 8:08 pm

It's a lot of fun, and I would like to put a tunable room in my other room.

here's what Bill333 has

Toledo's system - Page 3 Tr32

I miss having a tunable room so bad I can't tell you  Crying or Very sad . I am a madman in one of these rooms  Laughing . The things you can do is so far beyond what anyone has ever done in this hobby it's nuts.

A question, that's carpet, but can you describe it a little for me. Padding, thickness, poly or other material. thanks?
Back to top Go down
Toledo

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Toledo's system - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 9:28 pm

The carpet I think is poly...it certainly isn't wool Wink

I have 1/2" padding underneath.

Here are some pics for reference. It has two thickness type of fibers.

The fibers are around 3/4" long but tend to mat down.

Toledo's system - Page 3 Audior16

Toledo's system - Page 3 Audior17
Back to top Go down
Toledo

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Toledo's system - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 9:58 pm

Ok who bought up all the remaining stock of 4105 at beach audio. Fess up. There were 6 this morning Wink
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Toledo's system - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 10:26 pm

Watch word will get out and in 6 months these will be going for 3 grand.

The pics help me a lot, thanks.

Ok now the padding is sitting on concrete underneigh. Your on the bottom floor right?
Back to top Go down
Toledo

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Toledo's system - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 10:41 pm

Dang I should have bought more.

Yes concrete. Single story with flat roof above this room and a couple other adjoining rooms on this side of house. Cathedral A frame on the other side.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Toledo's system - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 12:27 am

Hi Toledo

Take a look at my thread. We could either design the platform to sit on the carpet or on a subfloor on the carpet or take that whole 10'6" x 40" space and make that area a subfloor and put the platform on that. Of course we could raise the whole floor. What does your gut say? My room BTW is all sitting ontop of carpet so I already know how it will sound at your place with the exception I'm on the second floor. I laid cardboard sheeting down on the carpet (I just love cardboard) before I put in the floor framing. Then the framing sat on the cardboard with the .75" flooring screwed into it. I didn't really even do that good of a job putting this together (used extra parts of other projects) but it sounded half way decent so I haven't takin up the flooring to do any tweaking. A proper tunable floor done with care would probably smoke my flooring but you know how it is when you do something and it sounds so good you hate to mess with it, well maybe that's why, but really I'm lazy and just wanted to start listening. I'm listening to a piano hammer right now and it does sound pretty good I guess. Good enough to do my testing till I get another room setup.
Back to top Go down
Toledo

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Toledo's system - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 1:50 am

It's interesting that you mention a 40" subfloor the entire width of the room. I pondered the idea of having one built. It would cover up the carpet in the corners and solve some things. What held me back was the limitation of speaker placement due to ear height issues.

We are targeting mounting the speakers on the walls which solves the speaker placement limitation. However, if the wall mount does not work out, the speaker placement issue returns.

My gut tells me to keep my options open and go for platform on carpet and then add other platforms for the sub and supporting electronics.

If the carpet really is holding me back, I am not against installing wood flooring in this room ... Just have to deal with recurring termite issues we seem to have. The joys of deserting living Wink
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Toledo's system - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 4:38 am

What, did you say wood flooring? MG hops in his truck to help install (JK). This would be a whole new world. Do know how much clarity we would gain when the platforms went in? And even that inexpensive wood laminate stuff is not bad sounding as compared to the carpet. I did my one room for almost nothing. I talk about it on my thread somewhere I think.
Back to top Go down
Toledo

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Toledo's system - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 9:47 am

I'm going to hold you to your offer and none of this JK stuff!

I haven't looking into flooring, but, off hand have you any idea if there is such a thing as termite resistant product?

Will have to have a discussion on best product with cost to benefit ratio and best install method... Either direct to concrete or underlayment. I don't think I would use any osd type underlayment or equivalent due to increased height and lunch time for the critters.

We have some family friends that have wood flooring and they have had to patch it 3 times in same room due to termite damage...they are relentless.
Back to top Go down
Toledo

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Toledo's system - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 7:06 pm

Looked into flooring and it seems best option for termites is laminate.

Went to local flooring store and they have 1/2" laminate with mdf core. They recommend installation with vapor barrier underneath. Did rap test and kinda dull.
They had some installed on floor glued to concrete and it sounded like tile with absolutely no resonance. What properties should I look for?

Also there are many textures to choose from. Some are rough hewn, some are wave like and others flat. Should this be a consideration ( ie wave pattern might help with varying height and add slight bit of diffusion.)

What do you think, Michael? Are there other more resonant laminates that you have used?
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Toledo's system - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 8:35 pm

Hi Toledo

Do you have any links for me to look at? The flooring that went down in my old place had a thin plastic (looked like packing material) that went down then the flooring on top. I will tell you it wasn't the best sounding but much better than carpet or tile.

Toledo's system - Page 3 Mgf1

Toledo's system - Page 3 Mgf2
Back to top Go down
Toledo

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Toledo's system - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 9:15 pm

Don't have links yet. Will have to get list of products they offer.

Lowes has a cork based underlayment that touts "sound insulation".

Is this is a quality that is desired to add resonance or do you think it will deaden it further.

Cork underlayment

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Toledo's system   Toledo's system - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Toledo's system
Page 3 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next