Michael Green Audio Forum

https://tuneland.forumotion.com

Our Website  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hiend001's System

Go down 
+5
garp
tmsorosk
Obb
Toledo
Sonic.beaver
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

Hiend001's System Empty
PostSubject: Hiend001's System   Hiend001's System Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 3:25 am

Welcome to Hiend001

This is where it started

Hi Newbies & Tunees,

I'm going to tell you a mad & crazy story of what happen to my US$13,000 hi-end system. I had sold off everything My music room right now is empty except Sound Shutters, Deluxe Floorstanders, RoomTune TunePak and Oland low back armchair left in my room.

The trigger point came when I tweaked my Pioneer DVD player and compared the sound with my Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC combination with Rega Planet 2000 CD player. After the several times of switching bewteen these two setups, the US$115 player won the race against the US$2700 players

I told myself why should I carry on spending tons of $ upgrading my components to achieve my 3D sound system. Its wasting of money. I rather use this money on accoustic products which would give me 3D sound and at the same time don't have to worry about components upgrading. Even in 3 years time down the road should my DVD player not working I only spend less than US$100 get a new DVD player, this is very much cost effective & much affordable. Accoustic products would probably last my lifetime and even pass it to my next generation to use

That is how my mad & crazy story ended and sad too because the sale got back less than 50% of what I had dumped in to my hi-end system.

Newbies, this is a very painful journey I had being through for the past 10 years of playing hi-end systems. Therefore I tell myself better stop now and do something which is more cost effective and with already proven results. That is to spend money on Accoustic Products, It will never go wrong. Take my words.

Stay tune in a couple of weeks. Until my new tunable system is properly setup & tuned I will report the finding................

http://www.michaelgreenaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=164

I'm now curing Hiend001's new Music Ply Platforms
Back to top Go down
Hiend001

Hiend001

Hiend001's System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiend001's System   Hiend001's System Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 9:15 pm

Hi Guys,

I am the owner of Tunable System for 9 years cheers

Currently I’m going thru next phase of evolution to my system i.e. convert to Simplicity Tunable System Wink

It about time to upgrade my platforms constructed from brazilian Tuning Boards with rods to new Music Ply Framed Platforms and replace front end equipments to Sherwood RX-4105 & Magnavox MDV2300.

As I am awaiting Michael’s goodies to be cured before deliver to me, I want to perform some comparison of my existing front end equipments. 1st step replaced existing Samsung P-250K DVD player with Magnavox MDV2300.

Result:
Magnavox knocked out Samsung lol!
Samsung: Smooth & layback soundstage.
Magnavox: Great bass impact, good sense of depth among instruments & superb clarity on cymbals.

Next change in few weeks time: Replace Outlaws mono blocks with Sherwood stereo amp.
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

Hiend001's System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiend001's System   Hiend001's System Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 11:53 am

cheers Welcome (back) Hiend001 cheers

I will have a lot to learn from your new Tune journey!

Sonic
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

Hiend001's System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiend001's System   Hiend001's System Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 5:49 pm

Sonic,

You should look into the maggie player now. I have a feeling it will teach the Sony a few lessons. I'm really happy to see that Hiend001 is using it.
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

Hiend001's System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiend001's System   Hiend001's System Icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 10:20 am

Hi Michael

I will want to learn from Hiend001's experience first. The Magnavox is not available here and if bought will be in a 110V version. I got concerns about the effect of transformers on the sound....but I could be proven wrong.

Sonic
Back to top Go down
Hiend001

Hiend001

Hiend001's System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiend001's System   Hiend001's System Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 10:52 am

Hi Guys,

Received some MGA cones toys from Michael to play around. The new designed MGA cones are miles ahead of my old cones which I bought 9 years ago from Michael.

Highly recommended combination of AAB1X1SBS x 2 + AAB1X1SBSR x 1 under Outlaw's toroidal transformer. The bass impact and reality was really potent. Doing a very great stuff to my room Shocked 

Ahhh Wink  ...I wonder what will happen to my room soundstage if my new platforms are inside my room Cool 

Michael Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

Hiend001's System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiend001's System   Hiend001's System Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 10:05 am

Sonic seconds Hiend001 findings about the AAB1x1 cones from Michael. I a mix of solid and bell cones, and threaded ones and they are an advancement over the MTDs. These are used under my CD player and under the FS-PZCs and the not only give clarity (cones often remove a veil of haze from the sound, that fills the spaces between notes and images). The cleaned all that up but gave girth to the voices and instruments that were making the music.

Hiend001 -- Sonic doesn't understand "I wonder what will happen to my room soundstage if my new platforms are inside my room"....you sound like you haven't got your platforms yet. Thought you had them or was close to getting them into your system back last when you described your system?
Back to top Go down
Hiend001

Hiend001

Hiend001's System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiend001's System   Hiend001's System Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 10:54 am

Hi Sonic,

Michael is still busy producing my 5 Platforms cheers  As you know Michael character............ all woods must be personally voiced by him to meet his standards before could release to customer Wink Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

Hiend001's System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiend001's System   Hiend001's System Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 8:42 am

Hello Hiend001

When is Michael going to ship the platforms? Have you tried the effect of Michael's balsa wood (finished and unfinished)?

I found they give a lot of musick and low-end warmth which is great for my hard walls. Try them if you haven't and here is you chance to ask Mr Green to ship them with your platforms.

Also I found balsa goes well with the soft and a bit crazy looking hand wound harmonic springs from Michael. He said those springs release a ton of music. I agree. They only don't carry much weight and their appearance is kind of extreme DIY but I have brought them back in combination with balsa and they work. If Michael is making those springs you might want to try a bunch too.

Sonic
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

Hiend001's System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiend001's System   Hiend001's System Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 8:30 pm

Yes, I know what you guys are saying here and everytime I move away from my zone (trusting someone else to voice) I regret it.

I desperately need a clone Laughing  but will they ever come?

All of the wood that was being done for this summer's orders I have recalled and am doing it myself.

Building a guitar by "spec" what a joke Laughing  . As I said in my thread I have moved to a place where I once again have my shop inhouse and am starting to slowly collect wood to cure.

The balsa is something I can retroduce as soon as someone says I need it.

We need more tunees Idea Laughing  . I love sitting around voicing this stuff but we need to have more guys joining the tune in order for me to voice, voice voice.

I love how far ahead of the curve you guys are as listeners and would love to create all my tools of the tune along with a wealth I have never even shared.

When we start getting into the voicing of the harmonics some of these toys (as crued as they may look) are incredible. The new cones I have created can be brought to life with some of these transfer compliments.
Back to top Go down
Hiend001

Hiend001

Hiend001's System Empty
PostSubject: Magic moment of Magic Wood   Hiend001's System Icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 1:31 pm

Hi Guys,

Passed few months I was struggling to get back my lovely harmonics and envelop soundstage as I had made a major changes to make my equipment as simple as possible with new replacement of Sherwood & magnavox CD. Removed 2 racks, 2 Outlaws Amps & Parasound Pre. Placed the extra Brazilian Pine shelves leaned against the walls and put up some TuneStrips.

The break came thru during christmas holiday as I change my woods setup underneath my magnavox CD from Brazilian Pine Mini Board 12x8" to Magic Wood mini Board 11x4" with AAB1x1, SB, SBS cones (rear to front) follow by silvers then Red Cedar Shelf. Using Poplar canopy as top tune over CD player.    

Played Fujiyama on Dekoza album CD track#5 (Mikuni). First note came the explosive Taiko drum beating away and I being enveloped inside the full dynamic "tom...tom...tom..."  affraid  drum beats as I could feel the Taiko drum's skin resonate everytime it strikes. Wah...  cheers  I could sense alot of space in the soundstage.

Switch CD to Ray Obiedo on Iguana album track#8 (At first glance). Another surprised with the cymbal. It so liquid crystal clear wave after wave of the sweet raining sound. It soo damn real....  Shocked  Ahh... here comes the electric guitar. Every plug of the guitar string was full of thick harmonics filling up the room.....  It so emotional until I got a lump in my throat at the end of the song  Embarassed 

I thought maybe because of good audiophile recording of the above CDs so I switched to 2Cellos playing track#12 (With or without you). I was transported inside the Cello. The resonate of the cello's body was rich and full....  Very Happy 

The magic wood mini board really makes a huge difference. It removed all the blockages and open up the soundstage with space around.................  What an eye opener  santa
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

Hiend001's System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiend001's System   Hiend001's System Icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 3:48 pm

Hi Hiend1

Good to see you!

I'm using a Magic Wood Mini Platform 12" x 12" under my Magnazox. I like the blend a lot.

Hiend001's System M111

It's sitting on a Brazilian Pine and Low Tone Platform. Actually, I have the Platform then LT Redwood Blocks, then the Mini Platform sitting on that.

looks like this

Hiend001's System M112

The Pine that came from Michigan was ok but I know what your saying. It IMO was still too wet for my taste. Curing it here in Vegas it comes out about a third the weight, big difference.
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

Hiend001's System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiend001's System   Hiend001's System Icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 6:32 am

Wow! Does this ever make me excited  Exclamation 

here is Hiend1's simple setup

Hiend001's System M113

Above, Currently using the racks soon to be replaced with Music Ply LT Redwood Platforms. Even so hearing the descriptions of the wood voicing and seeing the system going from more complicated to this very streamline version is breathtaking for me. Also still very important to see how the room is adding to the voicing and control. You get the feeling how the wood has overtaken the sound of the harder walls. Look at the Tuning Boards leaning aginst the walls. For me sitting here looking at this I can see the size and shape of the zones and a sense for how they are producing a full body presentation.

Hiend001's System M114

Above is the Magnavox conversion to a super player by controlling the transfer with Magic Wood as Hiend mentioned. Also the top tuning. I love the rack being made simple with 2 shelves. This really shows Hiend's inovation and application.

Below is another view. You can feel the tune with this picture. When I look at this I can hear the Sherwood and how it's contributing to everything else going on. This unit tuned is a detail monster and the warmth of the Magnazox is a beautiful match. I'm sure the 60's and SW10 are lovin this. And look at the tube offsetting the pressure of the sub. Man, my head is all over this ride  Exclamation  Feel like I'm at a tuning thrill park. Must be 18 years of age to enter or accompanied by a legal guardian.

Hiend001's System M115

Now the system's story wouldn't be complete without the tuning of the pressure around Hiend1's head. My love afair with SAM's is one of the biggest adventures in the hobby for me when I have a room where the size needs to be adjusted. I personally can not handle sitting out in a space without support. The music to me sounds shalow and bland. A SAM is like a big set of tunable ears. Below is a pic of the back of the listening area.

Hiend001's System M116
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

Hiend001's System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiend001's System   Hiend001's System Icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2014 1:25 am

Happy New Year Michael and Hiend1!

Thanks for the pictures. Hiend1, Sonic salutes you! I learn so much from you about the tune done within a local/Asian context.

Thank you for this. You have just given me a whole stream of inspiration of a series of Tunes to take which you'll see me post ass I bring it in to action over the next few weeks. Thank you!

Sonic
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

Hiend001's System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiend001's System   Hiend001's System Icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2014 11:30 am

Greetings Hiend001

Again congratulations on your system!

What I am amazed is how you have tuned the adjoining areas to your listening zone. I can see how you cleverly used Corner, Echo and Tunestrips plus rack shelves in the room behind the SAM. You must have a very tolerant family. Fortunately Sonic's room is entirely enclosed so what is outside is not relevant. I once tried tunes in the room adjoining and thought I heard a difference inside the listening rooms. I quickly stopped and took amnesia tablets because tuning in the area beyond my room will be a road to madness and suicide for me.

Tell me is the cardboard tube that you use to balance your SW10 filled with anything? It seems to be sitting directly on the floor -- is that correct? Also did you treat the tube with anything (like varnish) -- Sonic found a fresh tube sounding great but after a couple of weeks made a dull heavy sound. I suspect it is due to the humidity. Is your experience similar?

Sonic
Back to top Go down
Hiend001

Hiend001

Hiend001's System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiend001's System   Hiend001's System Icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2014 6:23 am

Hi Sonic,

The adjoining areas to my listening zone is actually a balcony. The listening zone is my study room. I convert it to become a listening room cum computer room enclosure with sliding doors to keep the sweet harmonics away from the living room.

No filling or no varnish apply to the cardboard tube. It supported with 3 hard plastic "hanging cloth" clips sitting directly on the floor.

So far I have been using the cardboard tube for 3 months no problem. I don't thing the dull heavy sound of your was the caused. I suspect got to do with your rack composite. Once you use wood platforms you should be easily tune to the sound you want. Don't forget woods is the way to go for sweet soundstage especially our hard wall nightmare. Good example on what I had done to my room filled with woods  Cool 
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

Hiend001's System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiend001's System   Hiend001's System Icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2014 9:34 am

Thanks Hiend001

Will try that soon. Agree with you absolutely about wood.

Have a look at what I've done.... Smile
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

Hiend001's System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiend001's System   Hiend001's System Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 9:47 am

Greetings Zonees

Sonic is grateful to Hiend001 for his response to my PM.

I noticed that Heind001 has removed the circuit boards of his X-30 crossover from the lower metal casing and top tuned the boards. Sonic asked if I should do the same.

Hiend001 found this tune to be beneficial but pointed out he is using a rack from Michael that has shelves a lot lighter than mine. Therefore it might not work in my set up as it is now.

Thanks Hiend001  cheers  for the advice and for letting me know that the 80Hz crossover is something that you are using with your 60s to good effect. I am using this frequency too and finding it is working nicely and there are no problems with wandering bass or bass pulling to the Janis W-1 subwoofer position.

I am listen to tracks from Mingus Ah Um -- the double bass is just behind RH speaker and the bass goes down in to the Janis W-1 range yet all the bass over to the right, nothing coming from the far left corner of the room where the Janis W-1 subwoofer physically is.

Sonic
Back to top Go down
Toledo

Hiend001's System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiend001's System   Hiend001's System Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 10:11 pm

Hi hiend,

Michael mentioned that you use the Sherwood 4105 with the sw10 and x30 crossover. How do you hook the receiver to the crossover and what amp are you using to drive the sub?

Michael has suggested I try the receiver/crossover/sub for my room.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Hiend001

Hiend001

Hiend001's System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiend001's System   Hiend001's System Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2014 11:41 am

Hi Toledo,

I'm using Outlaws M-200 Mono Block to drive the SW10. The subwoofer volume is not sync with receiver volume. I fixed the crossover level setting to about -70dB. I just play with the receiver volume control. Of course the bass will be boomy when receiver level is very soft. It does not bother me as I always play loud and the bass impact effect is great  Shocked 

Receiver/crossover/mono block/sub

Next week the LT Blocks will be knocking on my door. Will my soundstage moves to next level  drunken We shall see  flower  Thanks Michael   Cool
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

Hiend001's System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiend001's System   Hiend001's System Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2014 3:22 pm

My Pleasure, thank you for your patience!

I like doing the Blocks. I set up a little space here for the coats so they literally get sanded and a layer put on with pretty exact timing. Yours have between 4 and 7 coats depending on how they took on the finish. You'll notice some are heavier than others, make note of this cause it will make a difference as you choose flavoring the sound. I gave you a wider than usual varying so I can use your ears a little.

Let them air out when you get them. I rotate mine during this time so the air gets to them evenly while curing. They will change a lot in sound over the next 3 or 4 months. I'm sure Sonic is experiencing this now. The soundstage starts to spread out as time goes on and things become more defined "real". At times almost scary real. If you feel they start to clog pick them up and flip them over or replace them for a while. It's the finish still curing.

Your pianos and acoustical guitars are about to bust out of their skins. Also a trick I wanted to tell Sonic, so I'll tell both of you. When listening to classical if you barely turn them clockwise or counter-clockwise you can focus or fill in the string sections.

have fun Smile  harolds been following the tracking
Back to top Go down
Sonic.beaver

Hiend001's System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiend001's System   Hiend001's System Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2014 11:05 pm

Hi Michael

Turn the blocks slight for classical musick....which ones? There are so many, and what is the expected effect and the theory for this?

Hello Hiend001

You don't sync your subwoofer volume to you main system  Shocked but -70dB on the X-30 is Off...

Don't you run your X-30 in the tape loop path?

Dear Toledo, you could take the Tape Out of the 4105 to the X-30 and then route the Hi-Passed signal from the X-30 to Tape In. Set selector to Tape and you're good to go, set your subwoofer level to blend with the main system, then adjust playback levels from the Amp Volume control.

An alternative to Hiend001's approach which if I understand runs the main system without any filtering so bypassing the electronics of the X-30.
Sonic
Back to top Go down
Toledo

Hiend001's System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiend001's System   Hiend001's System Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2014 11:15 pm

Thanks sonic and hiend. So it is just like setting up old school equalizer? You just route the high pass output at either 50, 80 or 120 back in through the tape in?

Update ... I still don't get it though. Tape out is a full level signal, what is used to attenuate the subwoofer?

Last edited by Toledo on Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Michael Green
Admin
Michael Green

Hiend001's System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiend001's System   Hiend001's System Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2014 11:18 pm

Hi Sonic

I do it on my CD player mainly but sometimes I will slightly turn them on the AMP. It changes the transfer flow. On Mine, if I go slightly clockwise on the one corner I can focus or spread the stage.

I would take it slow till you get use to it.
Back to top Go down
Hiend001

Hiend001

Hiend001's System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiend001's System   Hiend001's System Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 10:45 am

Hi Michael,

Received my LT Blocks in good condition. I had separated and laid the blocks into 3 categories i.e. Heavy, medium & Light in weight. Will start with Magnavox first in few days time after let it settles in my room environment  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hiend001's System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiend001's System   Hiend001's System Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hiend001's System
Page 1 of 11Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next